Mutant Chronicles Collectible miniatures

Deguello

Anyone seen or played this? I see FFG is advertising it..

Which is good.. 54 mm prepaints...um I am not sure...

I will say I have always been a fan of mutant chronicles. The old board games were fun to play.

The roleplaying game was good.. Dont know if i would put it in the great category. I am anticipating something new from Cog games. but it may be several years before we see anything from them. would love to revive my imperial Trencher demolitions guy.

Warzone I never played and have never even seen played. I know its defunct now, but people I know who played it said it was a shame it stopped being played.. the attributed it to competition... with a lesser game..

What are your thoughts?

if you have played it I would be interested to know how it went

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warzone is an excellent game. It didn't die in competition, it died because the parent corporation went belly up, and dragged the gaming division down with it. The only attempts to keep it going under license was mediocre, at best.

The new game out from FFG is not the old Warzone. It uses a heavily mutated version of the fluff, and adds a completely different game engine. It's more akin to the Doom boardgame. You roll special dice, and your roll determines your attack range and damage. Where Warzone was usually several squads against each other, MC is a very few models on a limited board area.

Some of the figures are nice, but there are some that really didn't impress me. I much prefer some of my old 28mm sculpts for a couple of the characters. Since I don't play any games in 54mm, it loses even more appeal for me. I've suggested the figures for people playing GW's Inquisitor at 54mm, because several would work for that.

The paint jobs are average prepaint on the ones I've dealt with, but nothing stops someone from cleaning those up.

If you want to play with 54mm figures, it's an option. If you want the old Warzone, check the used book and game stores.

I wouldn't mind if Warzone came back. It looked fairly cool from what I remember, but never really took off locally for some reason. While I have nothing against GW (obviously I'm a fan), it would be nice to see another large scale skirmish game (i.e with several dozen figures per side, rather than only a dozen, which is the direction minis games are taking unfortunately) that actually has cool models and background. Tried looking at Metropolis/Urban War, and the design aesthetic just doesn't do it for me...

Damon.

Excellent observation. With tin prices the way they are, I asked on our forums how many of us could afford to buy the armies we've collected over the years at today's prices. Nary a one of us could say that.

Games like Spinespur are going to be successful due to the low buy in, and the fact that, over time, you'll eventually have every faction for the game. Bob Mervine's done a great job with it, and it's a blast to play, but I too wish that squad sized games like Warzone could come back.

I don't think we'll see the heyday of pewter that we saw in the nineties ever again. Sad, but them's the breaks.

I don't think we'll see the heyday of pewter that we saw in the nineties ever again. Sad, but them's the breaks.

Well, if you limit yourself to ONLY SF/Fantasy, then perhaps. Historicals have no such problem: Looking on OldGloryMiniatures.com, I can pick up some Crusader miniatures (one of my favorite lines) for $16 per pack (i.e. $2 per figure). If OG/Crusader can deliver quality sculpts, with material volume the same as most standard 25/28mm fantasy figures, and be less than half the price, I doubt the cost of metal is the biggest factor. More, its the overhead and -- especially -- the willingness of the SF/Fantasy gamer culture to pay more for their figures...

Damon.

Those historicals you speak of are not multi-part fantasy/sci-fi figs ranging in size from mites and gremlins to Rauthurous. GW is making even more of their ranges plastics, and I don't see many companies bucking the trend to make games and pewter ranges as large as the Warzone line. That was insanely large in terms of sculpts, and playable armies. Side by side, most Brotherhood models in the Warzone line are not comparable in size to historicals. They are big!!

Maybe if they switch to P-65 metals you'll see a return to bigger games, but I think Spinespur size games will be the trend. ComfyChairGames is doing quite well with their game.

but I think Spinespur size games will be the trend. ComfyChairGames is doing quite well with their game.

There's a thread over at dakkadakka concerning how a miniature lline has to be able to scale up in order to be successful over the long term. Ultimately, as the bulk of income comes from mini sales buying more minis=more profit....

There are plenty of historicals that are of the same size as FREX GW's fantasy figures. I use FREX GW's 1st & 2nd Gen Bretonnians as command and filler figures for my 100 years War army (using Front Rank figures). When I bought OG 100 Years War Mnt Knights, each came with a seperate shield and an option for either a lance or a sword hand. So yes, historicals come in muli part models (not to mention large models like elephants, etc).

I think the skirmish gaming trend has more to do with the lack of desire to paint 100+ figures IMHO than it does with simple cost. Playing ANY GW game, whether its with plastics or metal, is still expensive (an all plastic army is almost as expensive as an all metal historical army).

Damon.

Could be the case regarding the painting. Either way, that's which way the wind's blowing. Out of curiousity Lars, and because I've commissioned a few sculpts and I'm getting ready to sling some pewter, which way would you go with a line of models? Unit sized game like Warlord/Chronopia/Warzone, small game like Spinespur with two characters and maybe five or six grunts, or ranked big battle games?

Heck I ALWAYS go for big battle games, and here's the reason: I'm a firm believer that the point of minis games (as opposed to using counters, etc) are the minis. IMHO the more minis you can get on the table the better. This is why I don't care for games like Spinespur (besides the fact that, what I've seen of it, the idea of "adult" involves S&M clowns and dangly bits on zombies...). That being said, though, I think the best means of marketability is to create a scalable game to use the minis with: that is a game that works with only a handful of models, but stays fun with a large number, as well as create a "culture" that encourages gameplay at multiple levels of scalability. I've been told Warlord plays OK at very large numbers, but every time I look at it, there doesn't appear to be a "culture" of desire for big games. Thus I give it a pass...

Damon.

Well we are in agreement there Lars!! I love throwing down with a massive game of Chronopia, with 100 models a side, but it's nearly impossible to find the time for games that large. They just take too much time. Also, factor in the idea that most of my crew playing Chronopia and Warzone are older, have jobs and families to support, and don't have the coin to spend buying large numbers of new models, whether priced at Old Glory prices or otherwise. We've discussed how none of us would have the money now to buy what we have at today's prices. This is what's steering me towards unique individuals that people can collect and use how they would like to. It's also steering me towards games with perhaps twenty to thirty models a side.

Currently my business partner and I have a few greens and are looking to just sell cool, well sculpted models, not nescessarily tied to any game. Since we're doing this as a hobby, and have no expectations of gettin' rich, we can start small and grow over time. I'm always looking to learn all I can about the business, the marketing and the hobby to guide me in this endeavor.

I've become acquainted with Bob Mervine, and he's good people, and takes care in his business and in his customers. As for the "adult" portion of Spinespur, it's part of the setting more so than just "let's shock people," and there's really more to it than the villainous horror portions. It's also quite funny. The game engine is fantastic, and has a great learning curve to it.

I've become quite taken with it, and it's only a matter of time before I invest in all the factions.

. Also, factor in the idea that most of my crew playing Chronopia and Warzone are older, have jobs and families to support, and don't have the coin to spend buying large numbers of new models, whether priced at Old Glory prices or otherwise. We've discussed how none of us would have the money now to buy what we have at today's prices. This is what's steering me towards unique individuals that people can collect and use how they would like to. It's also steering me towards games with perhaps twenty to thirty models a side.

But here's the thing: I totally disagree with this. While time is a factor, if its important enough to you, you can make the time. If all it involves is sitting down for a half hour and painting every day, you can get a lot done. I don't think there are many people that cannot find half an hour (btw, if at night you're plopping down in front of the TV, then you have half an hour). I also disagree having familys means no time to paint (I have a 3 year old, and we're expecting another next june, but I can still budget the time to paint...AND spend 1.5hrs a night reading too). But the key thing here: I have A LOT more money now than I did 10 years ago. back then I was in college, and buying a box of GW plastic elves at $12.50 for 10 was it for the next two weeks (not including beer money). Now I have a gaming budget, and probably spend close to $100 a month (meaning with total dedication I could build 6 armies a year for a good sized historical, or a mid sized GW army). it's not like I have a fabulous job either (I'll probably make around $42,000 this year with all my bonuses), AND my SO does not work. But I find I can get what I want by making a budget and doing without all the superfluous stuff we cram our lives with (FREX, since I don't drink coffee I can avoid the piracy of Starbucks; when I analysed how much I spend on fast food a month, I almost totally eliminated that).

Damon.