Mutant Chronicles Collectible miniatures

Deguello

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried looking at Metropolis/Urban War, and the design aesthetic just doesn't do it for me...

I wanted to pull this quote as it applies to the discussion both of you are having. granted, Lars, you don't think much of the aesthetic but what about the principle? Exact same stat line that can be applied to 2 different systems, individual and squad based, similar to the rackham confron/ragnarok principle of confron 3rd/rag1st ed? I've always been fascinated by these but it seems to almost never work out, with one of the systems far outstripping the other in popularity.

And if it's not a multi system approach, what systems have you seen that work well on a smaller scale that can scale up appropriately?

I'm also curious to find out what Josh is working on...

I can't reveal a whole lot right now, but my goal is to have some really nice models. I've managed to accrue a discontinued mould from Steve Buddle/Spyglass, one Paul Muller sculpt, with a second on the way, and one of DarkWater's greens by Gael Goumon. My business partner is bringing in even more than I am, so we should have fun setting up a small sideline for ourselves.

I'll announce on an appropriate forum when the time is right.

Back to the discussion at hand. I see where the trend is going, but I'm not sure of all the factors. You can play AT-43 or Confrontation with their prepaints, in what I'm guessing are squad sized battles. I agree with Lars about making the time to paint, but I think a lot of companies are moving away from metal models because people are either lazy, or just plain tired after a day of work to paint big armies. Even those who make the time need practice, and the business model of quick and dirty, get the models sold and on the board, seems to be prevailing. I haven't seen the sales figures for tabletop games, so I'm just guessing.

I wanted to pull this quote as it applies to the discussion both of you are having. granted, Lars, you don't think much of the aesthetic but what about the principle? Exact same stat line that can be applied to 2 different systems, individual and squad based, similar to the rackham confron/ragnarok principle of confron 3rd/rag1st ed? I've always been fascinated by these but it seems to almost never work out, with one of the systems far outstripping the other in popularity.

Frankly I don't know. Since the tradition these days is for minis to be very closely associated with their rules and background for wargames (Reaper included with Warlord) if I decide to get into a specific game its the MINIATURES and (secondary) the fluff that are going to drive my interest; the rules are secondary (see my post above: "it's about the miniatures!"). WH40K has a somewhat mediocre ruleset, but I LOVE the design aesthetic (skulls and all) and the ridiculously dark setting (since I consider it fantasy in space...just like Star Wars...I can turn off my nitpick bug). Similarly while I don't like every Battletech mech design, I LOVE the setting, despite the somewhat archaic rules. While Urban War/Metropolis might have great rules, with a lot of flexibility, I just don't like the minis (Warzone had some IMHO clunkers too...I especially dislike the "space Samurai" look -- which is why I don't really play the Combine in Battletech -- or ROMANS in SPAAAAACE!)

Damon.