My Halloween Contest Entry #1

GreyHorde

This was sort of an experiment. I was trying to show Lurien swirling up from a dense, ethereal fog, sort of manifesting (?) from nothing to a physical form. She hasn't quite completed the transformation, yet, so she looks washed out and 'dead' around the edges, more solid and 'real' at the face and torso. That's the idea, anyway. Comments and constructive critique are welcome.

post-2299-1225549956.jpgpost-2299-1225549967.jpg

post-2299-1225550134.jpgpost-2299-1225550146.jpg

edit: vote on CMON, here.

Edited by GreyHorde
  • Like 1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, all! I wasn't sure if the leaves would add to the effect of swirling motion, or distract the eye from focusing on the upper part of the piece.

Keep the comments coming and feel free to nitpick, I want to improve.

This is a great-looking figure. For me, it's all just a showpiece for that great gray-red blend. I hadn't even noticed the swirling leaves (so I'd say they're not distracting), but now that I have I think they're awesome. My only nitpick on this piece is the very aggressive black-lining, but that's more of a personal preference thing anyway.

• Like 1

Actually, I agree on the darklining. Around the arms, it fought me back and forth for a while. I'd look at it one way and see too much arm, not enough depth. I'd work on it some more, then the shadows would look too deep. There's no clear border between arm and cloth in the sculpt, so I tried to pick a point and create the line, but I kept moving it around. In the end, I thought it looked okay, but yes, you're right, it is too strong. Also, the camera settings may have been a bit off and created too much contrast; in hand, the shadows look blue, not solid black.

Anyway, good point, there are a couple of things for me to work on there. Thanks!