Thinners, extenders, flow aid

Cade

Wow what an awesome write up. Thanks :D

My pleasure. Hope it helped.

Could I get an empty plastic dropper bottle and keep some pre-mixed with water on a regular basis? I assume that with the bottle sealed when not being used it would store fine in a mixed solution.
Absolutely. I keep a pre-mixed bottle of solution sitting right next to my paints so it's there when I need it. I just reach over and eye-dropper what I need out onto my palette or into a mixing cup (read: Reaper Blister pack  :D )

I'll second this idea.  I've been using it for the past few years and it really helps speed up my painting speed.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh*

I have ONE art store in town that can be called that. I'll be going by today to see if THEY have Kolinsky sables and decent flow-aid.

I'll look for dropper bottles as well, but they are quite small and cater to the University crowd art students.

The only other "art" stores listed in the phone book are all Hobby Lobby. Yeah. Whee. I may end up by the largest one today if I can't find what I'm looking for. They *MIGHT* have it, but I'm not holding my breath.

And I'm going to Dragon's Lair, so I'll check some things out there. I need that new female paladin.  :love:

Thanks Jennifer, I've been using the Golden retarder for awhile now and I'm very happy with the results.

I think I've said it before but I've found the plastic squeeze bottles my contact lens solutions come in to be good for a number of purposes. If you don't have contact lens's you might be able to ask a friend. I find that I end up with more bottles than I need and throw alot of them out.

I went and added 1ml of Retarder and Flow improver to every bottle of paint I have, and they do seem to work a heck of a lot better, drybrushing seems to be a lot more even now, as the paints aren't totally dry each time I brush. Thanks guys.  :D

I guess I am reserecting this thread.  I have the Liquitex Slo-Dri, the Golden Extender and the Folk Art Extender.  I am going to go by today and pick up this W&N Flow addidtive as well.  I am curious, the Golden and Folk Art extenders I have are both a gel.  Is this correct?   The slo dri is a liquid and I have seen the W&N Flow improver and it is a liquid as well.  So is it correct that the extenders are gel and need to be thinned?  Thanks for the help.

So is it correct that the extenders are gel and need to be thinned?

I think the gels don't work as well on minis.  You do need to thin gels slightly to avoid unwanted texture on the mini.  However, if you thin it too much, you lose the benefit of an extender.  The gels are probably more useful for canvas painters.

The Liquidex Slo-Dri liquid has worked well for me.  Make sure you use the Matte version.  Some of them are very glossy.