Rude People

Enchantra

So I had something weird happen yesterday while I was out shopping. Now every time I go to the Walmart near me I always encounter some rude and crass individual - I'm talking about other customers, and not employees. I do believe yesterday took the cake. I typically don't grocery shop at Walmart, but since I had to get new shoes for work I figured I'd just do all my shopping in one place and get it done.

So I am down in the dairy cooler area of the store. There is this woman in her late fifties or early sixties who is on one of those little go-cart things. Her hair is long, gray and scraggly looking, and she looks dirty and unkempt. I chalk her up to being someone who doesn't believe in taking care of themselves and make my way up alongside the dairy case. I park my cart a certain distance forward because I see her coming up to the case and I don't want to be in the way. I go about getting what I need from the case and as I'm about to grab my cart to move and I'm turning a bit I hear from her what sounds like, "Well thank you for finally getting out of my way." Now I wasn't sure due to a crying baby nearby and a loudspeaker going off. I turned, "Everything ok Ma'am?" She looks at me a look of shock on her face, "Oh yeah I'm just talking to myself." I nod and just go on my merry way through the store and get some other things I need.

I go up to the deli counter, the folks there are finishing up the one person ahead of me and suddenly I have two people willing to wait on me. There is no one behind me. So the one lady takes my cheese order and the other gentleman takes my meat order and they go to work on it. I hear a motor and I see the lady in the go-cart coming up near the left-hand side of me. She parks her cart and is looking at the stuff in the deli case. The lady comes over with my cheese and hands it to me. As she is doing that the guy comes over and hands me my meat. All the sudden the lady in the go-cart stands and looks at me, "What you need TWO people to wait on you??!" The poor workers behind the counter were looking at her like she had grown horns. I didn't respond to her but looked at the young lady behind the counter, "Go ahead and wait on her." The young woman had an odd look on her face but nodded and went and took care of the lady. The gentleman was searching for a type of meat for me, apparently they were out of turkey ham. Just as him and I were discussing this I hear the young woman tell the older lady, "Would you like anything else Ma'am?" The old lady responds, "No, I'm fine but that woman over there thinks she needs two people to wait on her, you might want to see if she needs help!" I blink. What the heck is this lady's problem? At this point a million things I could say to tell her off are going through my head. However I'm also thinking, "Why should I stoop to her level?" I ignore her, thank the Gentlemen who helped me and I proceed to go back through the store making sure I have what I need and head to the checkout.

What I had wanted to say to her went something like this, "I am sorry you feel so poorly about yourself that you have to take it out on the other people around you and make other people miserable because you feel miserable inside." Such a comment with her sadly would have been a waste because I somewhat doubt it would have had the desired effect. Thankfully, I'm not like my Father who would have immediately asked her if she had double parked her broomstick.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, it would have been a waste upon her. But, unfortunatly like Kristof65, I'd have my temper get the worst of me as well and smiled a big grin told her "thank you for your concern over my business you busy bodied besom" then blown her a kiss and walked off. 'course, that's why I'm not allowed in Walmart on my own. :blush:

But, unfortunatly like Kristof65, I'd have my temper get the worst of me...

A personal character flaw of mine. ::(:::(:::(: Although I do find it easier to keep my temper when the other person is losing theirs. If she was obviously losing her temper, I probably could have responded by being nice - the big ole smile, the condescending pat on her shoulder as I passed by her saying "I'm sorry for your troubles dear"...

She may realize that she has no control over her world and is trying to exert control over someone elses emotions through her comments. Enchantra recognized them as feeble and paid them no mind, good for her!

People can only get to you if you let them, what benefit do you gain for belittling or "besting" the small minded, weak and feeble? At the end of the day, does it make you a better person by doing so? You're not going to affect a change in a person by responding in kind.

But, putting bricks in front and behind the wheels of her buggy will keep her from following you around the store. :upside:

When this sort of thing happens to me in public, I actually tend to respond. There is this mischievous side of me that just can't pass up the opportunity to one-up a heckler.

Unfortunately, most of the time, this sort of thing happens to me in my house, and the mean lady is my mother-in-law. So I can't say anything. Because there's some history there.

She tends to blame whatever mess might be in our home on me, even though her daughter and her grandson are usually responsible for their own respective thirds of it. First she points and accuses and implies that I am making my own family miserable by messing the whole house, table, room, area, whatever, up. Then she generously lets me off the hook by explaining that she "understands" how my "projects can get out of hand."

Well, yeah, but that sewing machine and those stacks of fabric aren't mine, and neither is that growing pile of schoolwork. alas, mothers-in-law have what my own mother refers to as selective vision.

I got to be passively mean to someone this week. I would have been actively mean but the circumstances made that less useful. I shall explain.

Standing in line at the drug store. Actually I was buying chocolate but that's another story. There were two registers open and there were people at both. Between the two and little behind was a single line so the next person could go to the next open register, etc. It was rather obvious.

Just as one set of customers starts to clear a register this woman walks right past 'the front of the line' and goes to the register. Since the clerk was there the transaction was started. In this situation direct confrontation isn't useful. Therefore, go to indirect.

I started talking LOUDLY to the lady in front of me. About how some people seem to think that they're more important than everyone else and can just ignore the line and go to a register. I went on on how it's rather sad that they're so self-involved that they can't even look around to see if there's anyone else patiently waiting their turn. I went on in this vein until the woman completed her transaction and left. She didn't make eye contact with ANYONE as she did so.

Now, I realize this is a passive method. However it does have the possibility for a direct confrontation. Then I can add eavesdropping to the list of offenses and really go to town.

Cheered up my entire afternoon. It was almost worth it to wait in line a little longer.

Hehe....

I do the same thing Rastl... It feels great, don't it?

Most recent time I remember was while standing in line at the Polling booth. There were big signs everywhere saying "no electronic equipment, all cell phones must be turned off and stowed." (not really sure why on that one, but whatever. Not a big deal.) There was even a guy at the door asking if we had turned off our phones. So my hubby and I are in line and a woman right behind us opens her phone and starts to make a call. I can't remember what she was saying, but it clearly wasn't critical, something like do you want me to get pizza on the way home. So I start mouthing off so loudly that not only could she hear me, but so could everyone else in line. "I wish I was as special as that lady. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to obey the rules that everyone else did? See Honey.... She's so important! Don't you wish you were like her?" The woman was furious, but also embarassed and quickly ended her call and put the phone away. She didn't turn it off though... I suppose that would be admitting that she was wrong.

Of course my husband is mortified and wants to crawl under a rock whenever I do this, but sometimes I just have to stand up to folks.

::D:

Standing in line at the drug store. Actually I was buying chocolate but that's another story. There were two registers open and there were people at both. Between the two and little behind was a single line so the next person could go to the next open register, etc. It was rather obvious.

I really hate that. And I usually confront them. In my experience there are two types of people who do this:

A) People who for whatever reason are REALLY distracted and truly don't notice. Rare I know, but it happens.

B) People who don't care that they are being rude. These people are usually in a rush (which it seems is how they justify it to themselves) which makes confronting them perfect. They are in a rush and they're taking a chance skipping the line. "I'm in a hurry" is a response I typically get. And it's rediculously easy to counter since everyone in the line would rather want to be somewhere else doing something else.

They're hoping that noone calls them on it so that they can rush on to whatever it is they're busy because of. That means they don't have the time for the confrontation and it really pisses them off that you're stalling the transaction. So what usually happens is that they get REALLY mad (a last attempt at getting it resolved fast), and if you don't fold they will. Because they realize that not folding will take longer. They gambled and this time they lost.