WoW minis?

haldir

I think that, as with many things, you have to give it a few tries before you can judge it. At first glance the gameplay does look simplistic. However, when you start working combos both within individual models' action bars and by combining abilities from multiple characters it becomes a game of positioning and timing as well as laying the smack down.

The same was said of Monsterpocalypse (that it was too simple) when it first hit a couple of weeks ago, but the subtleties of how the units work together with the monsters and the buildings make it a game still worth playing.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that, as with many things, you have to give it a few tries before you can judge it. At first glance the gameplay does look simplistic. However, when you start working combos both within individual models' action bars and by combining abilities from multiple characters it becomes a game of positioning and timing as well as laying the smack down.

The same was said of Monsterpocalypse (that it was too simple) when it first hit a couple of weeks ago, but the subtleties of how the units work together with the monsters and the buildings make it a game still worth playing.

Eh, I didn't think Monpoc was that simple when I first read the rules (I was actually thinking more along the lines of 'Holy cow that's a lot of rules'). The greater depth of that game wasn't revealed to me until I got to play with more than a scattershot of units from my bro's demokit.

But yeah, I've only managed to play a handful of games with WoW minis. The action bar mechanic seems to be the deepest part of the system to me, especially since some of the monster minis can use class-based cards in addition to their own special categories. I have quibbles over spelling out the terminology better, but that's minor. I suppose the complexity of WoW minis arises not from the rules but the exceptions and mechanics generated by the playing pieces, which is probably more true now that I think about it more. Which would make the game more WoW-like than one would expect at first blush.

I do admit that I like the design of the WoW Minis, though.