How are they going to resolve this?

Sergeant_Crunch

You know that 300 is based on a comic book that was written after Frank Miller saw the movie 300 Spartans, right? And it is told from a character's point of view - so it shows literally the exaggeration that the story teller would give. The story works for exactly what it is.

Recall I have a history BA (I'm also working towards an MA too...), so yes, I understand it was based on a comic, and yes I understand the "intent" was to make it as an exaggeration from the storyteller's perspective. But neither is that the movie I would have wanted, but also I don't buy the "exaggeration" in a historical context. Especially when we're talking about SPARTANS...

Damon.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that 300 is based on a comic book that was written after Frank Miller saw the movie 300 Spartans, right? And it is told from a character's point of view - so it shows literally the exaggeration that the story teller would give. The story works for exactly what it is.

The exaggeration a bard and poet would give. Leo even said that is why he sent him back to tell the story; he had a gift with words.

Recall I have a history BA (I'm also working towards an MA too...), so yes, I understand it was based on a comic, and yes I understand the "intent" was to make it as an exaggeration from the storyteller's perspective. But neither is that the movie I would have wanted, but also I don't buy the "exaggeration" in a historical context. Especially when we're talking about SPARTANS...

Damon.

... And that the comic is based on the movie "The 300 Spartans" ...

The exaggeration a bard and poet would give. Leo even said that is why he sent him back to tell the story; he had a gift with words.

Exactly! The point of which was to get the others all fired up and committed to the war.

I'm just happy to know that if we ever get attacked by nuclear weapons I can hop in the fridge and i'll be OK :poke:

Hey man, don't discount the sheer solid, lead-lined weight of those old fridges. As a kid, I lived in the mountains with hippies and the woods were littered with old appliances like that. I'm not sure the scene in that movie is too far off from what one of those things can take.

Indy was in greater danger from never getting out, since those are the famous fridges that latch and can't be opened from the inside. Makes me cringe to think of how we escaped getting locked in as kids.

:wacko:

Aside from the fact the seals are rubber, lead has a low melting point and basic physics dictates that someone being tossed that far and bounced around would be chunky salsa on the inside of the fridge?

Lead might protect from radiation, but it isn't much defense in a blast.

Well, you don't have to be a MythBuster to know Indy would be hosed. :lol: