Sign in to follow this  
Wanizame

Digital camera q.

How many mega pixels should a Digital Camera in order for it to take a really good picture of a mini?

I prefer digital cameras, cause you 1. dont need to pay for film, and 2. dont need to pay to develope the film, and 3. dont need to pay to get the film scanned.

But if a Traditional Camera works better can you reccamend a kind to get?

I've been messing with one (see any off my pics) it has 2 megapixels and I would have to say, that seems to be more than enough. The main problem is focusing and lighting, most digital cameras have digital zoom and auto focus, and aren't designed to focus on the hairs on your arm, they tend to complain.

So for digital stuff, I'd look around for 2mega+, optical zoom (pretty much what real cameras have), and manual focus. This might also allow you to change your focus depth.

Oh and as for real camera's.. I have no idea, except most photo places now can put your photo's directly onto CD, as part of their developing process.... but I don't know how much it costs......  ???

If you want to go digital, shop around and take a mini with you. Most good camera stores will allow you to test the focal length of the lens on the camera to see if it gets close enough. If you find one in your price range that doesn't get quite close enough, see if it the camera will accept screw-on filters. You can get a set of close-up filters that screw on (like the Hoya brand) in a +1, +2, and +4 set that will get you not only close up and personal with the mini, but you'll see it's nose hairs as well.

As for non-digital, the same method applies. It's all in how you want your end result to be. If it's going to be a strictly "minis only" purchase, I'd go digital. If it's something you might end up wanting to get enlargements from, you'll either want a higher resolution megapixel or a normal film camera. The better the resolution, the higher in enlargement you can go.

But I've yet to see anyone make posters from digital images that are in any way halfway decent.

But that's just my two cents worth. I work with film because I'm often making 24"x36" posters of my work.  :upside:

prob because most digicams have a max of 1600x1200 pixels and A4 (slightly larger than American letter size) is 595x824 pixels.

so most digicam images are too small and totally the wrong shape for A4 without a lot of cropping or *shudders* resizing and are also a pain in the butt to match up over big sheets unless you have one of those shiny uber expensive A3 (dont ask what equivalents of that is because i dont know) printers

oh and 'photo quality' printers are never as good as a film taken picture (in my experience anyways), even with glossy photo paper and photo cartridges :glare:

:;):

Oh, one other thing I could be wrong, but don't worry about the flash testing for either camera, when you are at that range, it's too close to the flash directly and will wash your picture out. You would need a disperser, and I don't know how you'd fit that on most digital camera's so I turn mine off and put bright lights all around.  :)

My brother has a Sony Cyber-shot thats 3.2 mega pixels, 5x zoom, Smart Zoom (this lets you zoom in, after taking the picture).

Here's the Focus Optons :

Infinity

7.0m

3.0m

1.0m

0.5m

Center AF

Multi AF

Which one should I use?

White Balance is set on : Auto

Spot Meter is : on

Picture Quality : Fine

Flash Level : Low

Picture Effect : Off

Sharpness : +2

ISO : Auto

EV : OEV

you can try the .5m but half a meter probably isn't going to be close enough.

Is there something on there that shows a tulip?

What you're looking for is a macro function.

and... ummm it's a digital camera.. have fun photo's don't cost anything... :)

But yeah should be a tulip or something that shows on the back screen display. Otherwise as short as possible.

I also like getting my light sorted, cause the flash never seemed to balance right. I set up a light which I am happy with then, setup the mini and if it looks good try it, otherwise move the light (or better yet two) so the mini's detail is showing, but not glaring.

Oh, I'll stop in a sec, but most light bulbs in lamps won't cut it, as well as fluro lamps. If you can find them, phosphoresent desk lamps give a nice clean light, almost the same as a flash, just more controlled.

edit

OOps I meant halogen lights......

:D

Well, the .5m helped some, and turning on the tulip also helped some, but they're still blurry :  

Knights

But.. they look a ton better than before.. cause before they loked like two blobs.

Okay, getting closer. Have a look a the ones I've done, just look through the showoff section, they are not great but it's a sony digital camera with 1.6 megpixels.

1. More light, they are too dark at the moment, either take outside into sunlight, or put some bright lamps, or try as Aryun (Bad spelling) suggested put something semi see through and white. Cloth or paper over the flash.

2. Do one at a time until you get it right, makes it easier.

3. With Tulip on, you want the mini about 5 cm from the lense.

4. If not already maxed increase the resolution to the biggest possible, you can always shrink it later.. I do.

5. Take off any zoom, basically (I think your cam. has a rear display, or is it a digital video camera?) you want the mini to fill as much of the screen as possible.

Hope this helps.  :D

I usually just turn the flash off.

Anyways.. when I get stuck.. I get crafty O_o

So I thought.. what if I use a magnafying glass?

And sure enough, aiming the camera through a magnafying desk lamp worked great.

Though before you look, I wantyou to know, I'm not an excellent painter, I have shakey hands, and Ireally just paint minis for fun.

Black Knight

Not a bad idea, but I still think the camera should do better.

Skeleton

Dwarf

This is from a camera with half the specs you just said.....

Okay, try taking it right back to base, set everything to off.

Then add Tulip, highest res, light balance

and try sticking the lense so close the mini fills the whole screen. Then shrink it on the computer.

Oh and my hands are terrible at the moment..... this is my 9th and 10th mini.... not my best

Well that creates a little problem with digi pics.. tv probably won't give you good def, when you look at them... do you know anyone who has a computer you can use?

Otherwise, give those things a go and see what happens, your camera should give better shots... :)