Blacksilk Rogue

MamaGeek

If you'd like to read more about how he was painted, you can read the WIP thread here.

I haven't varnished this mini, yet. I have two spray cans - GW Matte Varnish, and Testor's Dulle Cotte. This is a tabletop gaming mini, so he needs a pretty strong protective layer. I'm afraid that what I have will dull down the shiny armor, but I don't want to buy and spray on a gloss coat that will shine up the cloak. Any suggestions?

The flagstone base actually looks more gray than green. The rest of the mini is pretty true to the actual colors, so I didn't want to mess with the colors in Photoshop just to correct the base.

Any comments or criticisms of the paint job are welcome.

My ratings on CMON are incredibly dismal, so I'd appreciate any votes you can send my way.

post-4823-1227268562_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some very nice painting! Your blends came out really nice. To maybe help with your finishing question -- use a coat or two of GW's varnish, a coat of Dullcote, and then finally get some brush on varnish to bring out the metal again. GW sells both its 'Ard Coat and Purity Seal in brushable form (although I think they give them different names) as does Vallejo and Reaper. Given that Blacksilk's armour isn't too shiny (showing some wear), the effect should work out pretty good. I did something similar with a bunch of ogres I painted last year. Good luck with it!

Nice work on this figure.

Gloss varnish tends to be tougher than matt varnish, so if you need a tough coat, you could spray it gloss then matt and finally paint a layer of gloss over the armour. I only use paint on varnish these days after some bad experiences with the spray on kind. I usually only use a couple of coats of brush on matt varnish.

Word to the wise don't post table top figures on CMON. It will only discourage you. Post figures that you would have compete for best painted and the like. Tabletop is a different sort of beast, and really you will get better feedback back and encouragemnt here for tabletop work.

Your paint job is clean but uneven. The major spot I would point out to you is your metallic work. On the left leg it looks like you really poured yourself ino figuring out how to get metallics to look good and then didn't continue it on the rest of the armor. The work you did do looks good, and as you pointed out some of the look may have to do with your photo fu.

As for sealing it I would go with the GW varnish cause it is slightly satin and won't completely hose the armor work.

Great start keep plugging away at it!