Sign in to follow this  
whitepony

Thinning paints

Acrylic paints are just thinned with water. Some people believe in using distilled water for this, although I don't. Many of us do use a concoction that is referred to as gunk. For the most part this is still mostly water with flow improver and sometimes a drying retarder added although typically the mix is still mostly water. Flow Improver is available in the Reaper Master Series paints and there may be a drying retarder there as well. I normally use Vallejo's drying retarder. My own mix is 70% water, 10% flow improver (this mostly breaks the surface tension of the water so it flows off the brush) and 20% drying retarder. Mine is that way because I live at a higher altitude in a dry climate and I need my paint to stay "wet" longer (and it still drys faster than it does in other areas).

But in the end all you really need is water.

Edited by Heisler

Heisler put it best. Use of distilled water is recommended if you live in an area with very hard water, like us in Texas. I only use distilled water for mixes with water that will be around for awhile, like "Gunk," or my pre mixed Flo-Improver and water mix. Water from the tap will work just fine for most applications.

I use the water I rinse my brushes with most of the time. It's convenient, and I change it when it gets cloudy, since I just use my brush to pick up some water.

If I need to thin the paints a lot to make a wash, I use a gunk mixture of distilled water and flow improver with a little retarder to keep the paint from falling apart.

Thank you all i thought it was water but didn't want to risk it.

Unless you use Tamiya acrylics. They are alcohol based.

no problem there I bought a citadel paint kit the mega paint set. Now i have a new problem if anyone knows why. I used testors dullcoat after i painted my minis and instead of dulling down the shine it became shinier. I used 2 coats and in a finished basement with 2 dehumidifiers. I am at my wits end as to why my monk looks like plastic.

Could be a number of things. You may not have shaken the can enough or you were much to close to the mini when you sprayed it or you sprayed on to thick.

hmm i did shake the heck out of the can but i never thought if the coats were too thick i bet they are.

I can vouch for that being not so difficult to do. Dullcoting too thick to the point of getting a shine-cote effect, that is.

Even if that is not the problem, a few other potential Dullcote pitfalls are discussed in the old thread I linked; maybe they'll help.

Just don't make my mistake and assume another very thin coat of Dullcote will fix the shine you got from putting too much on before; it'll make it worse if anything. You'll need to add another layer of something else (such as a gloss sealer) first, so that when you Dullcote again you'll be making a new thin layer rather than thickening an old one.

One thing you could try would be to practice Dullcoting something like an old CD jewel case cover or a mini you're already planning to strip or something (anything, really - but the transparent CD case cover has the advantage of giving you an idea of how transparent the Dullcote really isn't), to master your spray technique before risking a mini that is painted to your satisfaction.

And for the record, I would suggest you start with using just water to thin your acrylics. You won't know if you need other additives until you've tried that. If your local tap-water leaves behind a white residue when it dries, distilled water is worth considering. Since you're using GW paints, I won't be surprised if you end up picking up some flow improver (AKA acrylic thinner) before long. Unless they've changed a lot in the past few years, some of their pots may be a bit on the thick side.

Good luck!

Kang