What was your favorite course in college?

rgtriplec

For some reason, the Archery instructor didn't argue with students.

Well, you WERE armed...

I was a fine art major and had loads of good classes. History of photography, color theory, figure drawing, oil painting, watercolors... I could keep going. My last two years of school were nothing but art classes, most of them upper level. Too bad I had to graduate.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say my favorite class I ever took in college was Introduction to Social Work. It was a class that I found very thought provoking. Many of my assumptions about a range of issues were challenged, and I've always been glad that they were. I came out of the class more broadminded than when I went in. I also got an A in the class, which was gravy.

Intro to Film, Film Appreciation, and Engineering Materials and Standards were my all time favorite classes. I took Intro to Film on a whim and loved it. So much so that I took the next course as another elective. Great classes. Engineering Materials and Standards was great too. Boring as hell class but some of the best class mates. a really small class of only about 20 of us. after the third test there was 12 of us. we hung out a lot and got together outside of class a lot. some great girls and guys. some graduated and moved to other states or got married bu a few of us still get together at the local watering hole and have a few. I enjoyed these classes not only for the content (all but one) but also for some of the people who made up the class. we were all relatively older and more mature then the typical college crowd.

I think it was probably an Experimental Watercolor Painting class. That one was just pure fun. Narrowly edged out Printmaking.

Edited to Add: I did take Archery. I had forgotten! That was fun as well. The balloon busting day was very fun.

Edited by TGP

Halfway into my undergrad career, and thus far it was History of Ancient Philosophy. The actual course material wasn't really a particular interest of mine, just fulfilling a major requirement, but the professor was incredible, and really made the texts come alive.

I also really enjoyed my Automata class I took this last semester. (Full title: "Automata, Formal Languages, and Computational Complexity.") Lots of fun puzzle-solving sorts of things. (Given these rules, design a machine that accepts these inputs and rejects all others.) Sort of boiled down to what I love about programming. Though the second half of the semester became excessively proof-based for my liking.

• Like 2

Ah, thread necromancy.

I had some truly excellent teachers and classes. Without doubt, the best was Scientific Illustration, taught by a stern, exacting, classically trained genius who grew up behind the Iron Curtain. He taught us how to see, how to measure, how to be skeptical, and how to work with precision. He was affiliated with a major natural history museum and taught at various area colleges. His classes were brilliant and his former students can be found working for prominent paleontologists and museums, as well as in commercial art and design.

• Like 4

Well since it has been raised anyway...

My favorite classes were Meats, Poultry and Seafood, Cake design, and Soups and sauces...

The pultry and seafood class I remember the most. We were cooking lobster one day and we were taught how to cut one in half and grill it. Well, I evidently didn't seperate the brain correctly because after placing both halves on the grill I went on to start cooking the sides (we had to prepare a dish with sides for grading) and my instructor asked who's lobster was running away. Aparently one half of my lobster didn't like the heat of the grill and decided to walk off of it and make it's escape.

Culinary school was fun, It just didn't prepare me for working an actual kitchen. I hated working at a restaurant.

• Like 5

My favorite college course was "Operating Systems". The class gave an incredible introduction to computer systems and OS structure. It has a great instructor too. (He's still there.) It's tough class - probably the most work intensive in the department, if you do all the labs - but it's the only class I took where I looked forward to every single lecture.

I also enjoyed a class on Indian mythology, but I don't remember the exact title. It was offered by the classics department.

• Like 2

Improvisational jazz, a performance class where we would just hang out and play. The difficulty was getting sheets to read cold from any talent that walked in the room. The talent workd with various band configuraions and selected the best, which then backed them for a show. You were graded on cold reading, working with talent and band, and performance.

It never felt like school.

• Like 4

I enjoy fast paced classes. I've only taken three or four like this. It has more to do with the type of teacher than with the class itself. I do better with 'harder' classes but it also makes me have a greater love and appreciation for the subject of the class. THUS, I am good with Sciences, Maths and Psychology courses. English, I'm meh. I've had so many teachers since elementary school teach me English and Grammar in so many different ways, (If that is even freaking possible, it's the english language!) that I often times just put in enough effort to get a B or an A. It's the teachers that pull the "It was worth an A but I know you can do better, so I gave you a C for motivation" (Exact Words) Much Fire and Loathing against that guy.

So favorite course of all time in college....surprisingly enough it was Music Appreciation. The teacher I had saw music very much like I do, which is refreshing. (His name was also Bohner, said exactly how you think it is) He introduced a lot of music/thought processes on it that I hadn't thought of yet, which made my love for it grow even more. It was also easy to tell that he loved his job and when a teacher loves their job, you can tell.

Least favorite course of all time in college...believe it or not, it was Art Appreciation. Nothing against art, but the teacher didn't appreciate art and was obsessed with one particular artist and we spent nearly the entire semester on that one artist. Needless to say, I now have no appreciation for that particular artist. Do I remember his name? No, but I can pick it out in a line up. -_- I disdained it so bad that even when given free tickets to go see his work at our museum locally, I refused. @[email protected] What college student turns down free tickets? This one.

• Like 2