Painting Contests and Competitions

Heisler

There was a question buried in the Gen Con Bankruptcy thread about the size of their painting competition and how big it was and if it was worth going to. I thought that was worth pulling out and putting in its own thread.

So there are a number of good sized painting competitions across the country. Most people seem to feel that the Games Day competitions are the largest. I have never been to one so I don't really know.

GenCon's competition (and maybe we can get Sue to chime in) is pretty big, unfortunately I think Privateer Press has sucked off some entries for their own competition (with big prize money) there. If I were to put it number on it you are probably looking at 300+ entries easy. You can also take plenty of painting classes with some excellent instructors and of course there is the massive exhibitors hall to distract you even further.

Reaper Con is fairly small as competitions go but the quality of the entries is really really high. So don't go expecting to just zip in and grab a Sophie, the competititon is fierce for what is easily one of the coolest trophies out there. Again you have lots of painting classes with lots of great instructors so its easy to stay busy and well worth the time to go.

Genghis Con is my show. I'm sure you have seen plenty of spam about it from me and across a number of other forums. We are in a transition year and are actually offering two painting competitions; your standard competitive trophy competition and an open judging competition. In this format you are not competiting against the other entries but against yourself. The judges will award gold, silver, or bronze to qualifying entries based on the skill shown on the mini. We average right around 200 entries at our show and the quality is very high. Of course there is our own series of painting classes that can occupy your time for 3 and a half days.

Kubli Khan in the bay area also has a pretty good sized competition from what I see. They are also making the move from the competitive style to the open judging style. I'm not sure if they are running two competitions or not though. I don't know how many entries they usually have the quality looks pretty high from the pictures I have seen. I'm not sure if they run painting classes or not.

So those are the shows I know a little something about. I don't know if the LA cons (Stratigicon, Gamex and Orc Con) have a painting competition or not or how good it is. Nor do I know about other conventions across the country.

I know that the MMSI show in Chicago is huge and that's were I took the format for the open judging comeptition at Genghis Con. They are beginning to see a lot more fantasy painters enter there. I think Sue and George would be better able to talk about that show than I would.

So you have a question? Have an answer? Post away!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned my name and Gen Con together? See, I have this chip in my head that alerts me to these things...okay, well, it's chance I swung through today. I couldn't stand washing dishes anymore.

Thank you, Heisler, for dragging the question out into the light!

How big is the Gen Con Indy painting contest? It's big...and it's small. What's the criteria? How do you judge that? Number of entries? painters? classes? events? What?

We get on average about ~160 entries only at Gen Con. We have 6 categories that include sculpting and a separate Hatchlings category for the kids. We give out some great trophies, as well as cash prizes for first second and third. Our quality is very good and includes painters from all over the world. The cases are lit, locked, and easily seen at anytime during the convention. We take good pictures and try and spread them around (Historical Miniature Magazine will do a spread come January). Our categories were designed to be open to all genres including historicals and modern along with the Fantasy and SF. The judges are all veterans in this hobby and well respected.

What we are also able to offer are contests within the competition...Manufacturer Awards. Reaper gives away awards for Reaper Miniatures, and many other companies as well, regardless of what the Gen Con judges award. They get to have a contest without the hassle and without dividing a painters loyalties regarding which competition they should enter. One Reaper entry from you would be eligible for Gen Con awards and Reaper Awards. So even if you don't think you can beat Marike, how about a Dark Sword prize, or Reaper, or heck, there were awards for Best Pulp entry regardless of manufacturer, as well! The point is, you can target your favoriote manufacturers as well. Croc Games even gives away a sword to their Best of Show!

So...are we a huge show? Not compared to the wild noisy Games Day, but we do offer tons of opportunities to take home prizes (even random prizes are given out to non-winners) and accolades. Regardless of genre or manufacturer, you can bring it here, and have a chance at something.

I did find that with the break off of Privateer Press into their own competition, we dropped by about 30 entries on average. Many folks enter both competitions. Heck, even I entered the PP contest...of course I had technical difficulties this year, but it's nice to have something to enter myself!

So Gen Con I take very seriously from rules and pictures, to judging. But if you only want to enter a competition, you have to figure out what you want out of the competition or event. I find I don't do Games Day because they have nothing to offer me as a painter. Now, Gen Con or Ghengis, ReaperCon or any of your local conventions offer demos, speed paint, seminars, classes, paint & take...Miniatures Hobby Events at Gen Con keeps me so busy I rarely get to see the rest of the con! I go to these cons for the people, the chance to teach, and bury myself in the hobby. That's worth quite a bit to me. If I only had more vacation options I'd visit Heisler as well. ;-)

Now, as he mentioned, the changes he is implimenting were developed and are used at the MMSI Chicago Show, it's the Military Miniatures Society of Illinois, of which I, skya and eastman are members. The Historical side of things if you will, but there's plenty of them that dabble in fantasy and SF as well, so much so that they are now breaking it out into it's own category! They welcome all painters regardless of abaility, and awards are given based on your success in achieving the standard...certificate, bronze, silver and gold level. You compete against yourself, no one else. No one is taking anything from you, there is no one to beat. It's exhibition style and is by far the greatest painting event I have ever attended. There is no gaming...this is for the serious painters, and the ones who just like to see these works in person. It is international and includes all scales and manufacturers--truly an inspiring event for any painter, where they come to enter or just to look. It's fun, informal despite the master level painters from around the world, and I highly recommend it to all people with a love of the miniatures painting hobby. It's bigger than Gen Con entry and painter wise...but smaller in that they do not do classes (I haven't the time! I'm judging!), and hold only two seminars during the weekend as well as offer a smaller and limited vendor variety.

So...as shown, Heisler and I are pretty steeped in competition history and mechanics and are happy to help any and all jump in. ;-)

So those are the shows I know a little something about. I don't know if the LA cons (Stratigicon, Gamex and Orc Con) have a painting competition or not or how good it is. Nor do I know about other conventions across the country.

I've an answer for you. The LA Cons have a painting contest, but they are relatively small. The biggest one is in February (Orccon), which is the largest of the Cons. They divide their categories into Historical, Sci Fi and Fantasy, with Open and Strategikids categories. You can find more info on their website HERE.

No. Actually, let me rephrase that; You may enter him in the historical fantasy category. Wait I don't have such a category, I guess the answer is No. ::P:::D:

This is also true for: Medieval penguins, Roman penguins, Ch'in Dynasty penguins, Tokugawa Shogunate penguins, Zulu penguins, and penguins with panzer-pink epaulettes and piping. (Giant killer penguins, however, are just fantasy -- well Swords & Sorcery*, really.)

HTH

*Bonus points available if you're grognard enough.

No. Actually, let me rephrase that; You may enter him in the historical fantasy category. Wait I don't have such a category, I guess the answer is No. ::P:::D:

This is also true for: Medieval penguins, Roman penguins, Ch'in Dynasty penguins, Tokugawa Shogunate penguins, Zulu penguins, and penguins with panzer-pink epaulettes and piping. (Giant killer penguins, however, are just fantasy -- well Swords & Sorcery*, really.)

HTH

*Bonus points available if you're grognard enough.

Sigh...there is a copy of Swords & Sorcery about 24" away from me at this very moment. But yes the Giant Killer penguin is definitely fantasy and if he's really giant could even go into the Large Monsters/Large Figures category of the GC XXX trophy competition or into the Stock Fantasy category for the open judging.

Napoleonic Penguin is welcome at Gen Con---Single Figure Category. All Penguins are welcome. We do not discriminate based on species.

At MMSI, he is also welcome anywhere you want to place him. Next year I hope to have my "Evolution of Napoleon" display at MMSI, and it will be in Historical, not Fantasy. ;-)

Sue

Sorry, thread derailed slightly by CMPA folk. The penquin being referred to there is done by Kraken and is a penquin variant of Napoleon. They are trying to convince me that said penquin should be allowed into the historical trophy category. Which leads to the second post because I have been meaning to tell Jeremie that he should do an entire line of historical leader penquins. And yes it can be entered just NOT as an historical piece! ::D:

The whole thing started when Kris said that those in the master's category could enter the historical category one year. Typically master's folks could only enter the master's category. This sparked an ongoing discussion, well really a debate, about what could be entered into the historical category. Kinda had to be there.

Unfortunately, I've no idea of any conventions in the New England area offering a painting competition or any sort of miniatures painting whatsoever. Granted, I see mostly convention info from smaller cons in the New Hampshire and Southern Maine region. What little info I do receive tends to run towards RPGs and board games than miniatures gaming.

The 'big' convention here in Maine is PortCon and I think last year they introduced some miniatures gaming but not really that much considering there are two stores in the Portland area that have a heavy focus on miniatures (Warhammer and Warmachine mostly).

Seeing that I'm a painter first and a gamer second, I'd really like to hear if there are any painting competitions up in this area simply because I won't be able to make it to ReaperCon this year (barring a lottery win) and honestly can barely find the time to paint much less organize a painting competition of any scale with my store and a 'spare' job sucking up time.

Unfortunately, I've no idea of any conventions in the New England area offering a painting competition or any sort of miniatures painting whatsoever. Granted, I see mostly convention info from smaller cons in the New Hampshire and Southern Maine region. What little info I do receive tends to run towards RPGs and board games than miniatures gaming.

Total Con in Mansfield, MA has had a painting contest in years past. I wasn't able to attend last year, so I am not sue if there was one available.

It would probably be a 2.5-3 hr drive for you to make it.