Vaitalla

ReaperCon Painting Contest

I'm going to agree with Anne on the whole if its won before you can't enter it again thing. I don't allow it at my show either and for pretty much the same reasons. We want to see your new work not what you managed to pull off a year ago. Besides do you really think you haven't improved in a year? If you want to bring the old winners along to show feel free, they either get the card that says "do not judge" or they go on the display only area.

I would also exclude works that appeared in a magazine. But honestly those, for the most part, are winners of other contests already.

Edited by Heisler

Okay! Just spent a half hour talking to Ed about the published models thing. Here's the deal:

We'll go for the compromise.

You can, this first year, bring even your old work to be entered. Even pieces which have been in magazines, or on websites.

The caveat: If a piece has been entered in the ReaperCon painting competition before, it can not be re-entered. If you enter a piece this year, whether it wins something or not, it can not be entered next year.

If something goes terribly, horribly wrong, we reserve the right to change the rule for next year. :;): But for this year, we will give y'all the benefit of the doubt and hope that a lot of new work shows up anyway.

--Anne ::D:

p.s. changing the rule in my core document now.

Wow!

I'll have to digest this thread slowly, as I was going to put a piece in next year's contest (No it won't be anther familiar & no I won't start it 20 mins till the deadline :blink: thou that is damn good motivation to finish, ha ha. )

I know I have no chance to place but at least with this new format I won't have to choose between & couple ideas & what categories they are in now.

RM

I know I have no chance to place <snip>

Sure you can place. If your piece deserves a gold, it wins a gold. Silver or Bronze, or even a certificate. Nobody that creates deserving art will be cheated out of a medal or certificate just because "so-and-so" won one also.

just because "so-and-so" won one also.

So-and-so being Bryan... <_<

I just want to jump in and add that our original contest system, implemented and maintained by Anne, worked fine and a good time was had by all. The main reason for this change was simply to expand the love/passion we all have for the craft. A craft that is much, much bigger than Reaper.

I have already received a few sidebar emails concerning our new position on this subject, and yes I realize people will be entering GW models, and no I am not afraid there will be more GW pieces than Reaper pieces.

In all honesty it's not really a new policy/position for us here. All we are doing is being more open and public about our hobby. In a weird way it's like coming out of the closet, as there are probably more non-Reaper miniatures of all scales here than anyone could ever imagine.

So this year, before the show, I will not walk the shop and have people take home, store or hide all of the non-Reaper stuff in the shop... except, that is, their GW stuff :devil:

Best to all,

This seems like a good compromise, and well thought out too. Thanks Anne.

Its a compromise, and I still disagree with it. I sincerely hope that it will work but I really afraid of the abuse that could occur. I could be wrong, and I hope I'm wrong. But the potential for abuse here is huge.

I mean what's the point in bringing something you have already received laurels for? In my own mind its and excuse to be lazy about painting for ReaperCon. "Oh well, I didn't finish my entry, I'll just gather up all my winners from the past two years and take those."

Anne wrote out her reply to my e-mail before I went back and edited it. Sorry Anne.

As I said in my edit, my personal feeling is that something like the Warlord Troop category would still be nifty to have around as it combines both Reaper-specific minis and Reaper games but that's my preference.

It will be interesting to see the entries next year and how they stack up. From the general tone here it seems like no one is competing against another painter - each mini is being judged on its own merits and awards will be given accordingly. So I could honestly put an entry in the same category as Derek and Marike and still take home a gold, if the judges feel it merits one.

I hear you Anne, but what your also saying is that no one can beat Derek...and I'm sure he would be the first to say that, that is wrong. Who's to say some historical guys will not come in and just destroy us...I can see maybe saying that contest winners can not be entered but really I want everyone to just BRING IT.

I guess my motivation is selfish in that I want to see the best of the best. I want all the sweet goodness!!!! I want Derek to just blow us away...I want Jen to show up with something unbelievable...I want John to bring his monkey!!!! I guess what I'm saying is that if you win BOS at ReaperCon....you are the BEST!!! (that year at least) Besides, are the medals just chump change...I'm sure people will not just enter to win best of show. I am all for Best of Show being a knock down drag out, bring the best you got cuz I'm coming after you, fight to the finish. Lets not water it down...

Anyways, whatever your decision, I'm all in!!!!!!

Its a compromise, and I still disagree with it. I sincerely hope that it will work but I really afraid of the abuse that could occur. I could be wrong, and I hope I'm wrong. But the potential for abuse here is huge.

I mean what's the point in bringing something you have already received laurels for? In my own mind its and excuse to be lazy about painting for ReaperCon. "Oh well, I didn't finish my entry, I'll just gather up all my winners from the past two years and take those."

I think I should clarify my point. I actually agree with you, H, that winning minis from other comps should not be allowed. I can see that it would cause problems. Although none of the painters that I know would take advantage of the rule as it is now written, there is still that possibility, as you said.

My main point was that I just want to be able to post my mini online somewhere for feedback before the comp, as I don't have a painting group within an hour of me now.

I think I should clarify my point. I actually agree with you, H, that winning minis from other comps should not be allowed. I can see that it would cause problems. Although none of the painters that I know would take advantage of the rule as it is now written, there is still that possibility, as you said.

My main point was that I just want to be able to post my mini online somewhere for feedback before the comp, as I don't have a painting group within an hour of me now.

Now that is an entirely different point. I'm all for that and in the first draft of the Rules Anne is already allowing for that as long as the final product doesn't get posted. So start that WIP and let's have at it!

My worst-case example/fear: Derek Schubert won Best in Show at Gen Con with a great diorama. Now he decides to bring it to ReaperCon to compete. ...

Thanks for the invocation. I feed on fear. :devil:

Shortly after I moved to the SF Bay Area (around 2000), I attended a local convention for the first time. There was a painting contest, but this was the years of my painting slump. I decided to enter almost every Fantasy/Sci-Fi category using old figures, many of which had won prizes at Games Day (7 or 8 years prior) or Gen Con (various years), since the rules at this local convention didn't prohibit previous winners. IIRC, Laszlo and I won all the 1st- and 2nd-place ribbons in all of those categories. ::P: Reusing entries as I did, though, seems unscrupulous to me now; I haven't done so since then.

I don't object to someone running a single entry around the worldwide contest circuit, to collect as many medals as possible, but I think any top competitive awards should go to fresh work. Maybe you should exclude from the three competitive prizes at ReaperCon any model that has won a top award (be it Best in Show or simply Gold / 1st in its category) at Games Day, the Gen Con painting contest, or the Privateer P3 Grandmaster contest, or any other prominent contest that I'm overlooking now. If you want to go further, exclude from the top honors any model that has won a noncompetitive top prize (gold medal) at any other national/international competition, or has appeared online or in print at all.

Derek

Wow! I was really hoping ReaperCon would switch to this format. ::D:

I would make the entry rules very simple - the only thing that cannot be entered are models that have won awards at previous ReaperCons.

Well, I'd say the new rules have hit the mark in one thing: I (and presumably, others like me), would consider entering something in this kind of contest, when there's no chance I'd bother entering anything in the more competitive sort.

Why? Well, I'm not very good. :poke: So, entering something that's going to be judged against pieces done by masters of the craft would just be embarassing and a waste of time -- my time, the judges' time, and the time of people who spend the whole half a second looking at my mini before realizing it's junk and moving on to something better. With this kind of format, it's not so much about competition as recognition; people of lesser skill could enter something and still hope to walk home with a certificate. More importantly, should you get an award of any level, you get the feeling of knowing you're on the right track and that impartial, expert observers have given you a thumbs up.

While I agree that winners from other competitions being submitted may be contradictory to the spirit in which the contest is intended, I don't think the judges can reasonably be expected to recognize the figures from the many competitions that occur each year. Regardless of their superpowers. :blink:

I have two worries though. I'm sure Anne's already thought of this one but I'll voice it anyway: will there be enough display space for the multitude of minis this open style is going to elicit? Especially since painters can enter as many figures as they wish. The second point, which is related, concerns the Friday 6 p.m. deadline. I understand you have to cut the entries off at some point to allow enough time for the judging but I have friends whose work may prevent them from getting there in time. It would be a sad thing if they couldn't enter at all due to a lack of space since entries after the deadline will be allowed as space is available.

Just trying to be a devil's advocate and troubleshooting. :devil:

DRG