Master Series chatter

Qwyksilver

• Reaper User

Actually, I would love for you to bring it up to Reaper, that way I can play with it and see if I can figure out what is wrong! ::D: We have not had a report of bad primer before these, perhaps it is a batch issue...when/where did you guys pick those bottles up, d'you remember?

--Anne ::):

my white brush on primer is really watery, I've shaken the crap out, squirted some, shook it some more, squirted some shook again, but it's still pretty watery, is this a problem with brush-on primers?? The coverage isn't too hot either (pretty sure it's because of the watery effect right now.

any ideas?

<replying a month and a half later>

Mine does that too.

Is it possible to bring bad bottles up to Reaper HQ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my primer is very difficult to get into and keep in suspension. The white primer is the only bottle I need to shake the ever lovin' life out of and then still about a third the time I'm getting the watery mix instead of the primer.

I've bought mine at different times so I don't think it's all the same batch.

And this is why I have all the parts and plans to make a battery operated paint shaker. My wrist just can't take it any more.

Actually, I would love for you to bring it up to Reaper, that way I can play with it and see if I can figure out what is wrong! ::D: We have not had a report of bad primer before these, perhaps it is a batch issue...when/where did you guys pick those bottles up, d'you remember?

--Anne ::):

my white brush on primer is really watery, I've shaken the crap out, squirted some, shook it some more, squirted some shook again, but it's still pretty watery, is this a problem with brush-on primers?? The coverage isn't too hot either (pretty sure it's because of the watery effect right now.

any ideas?

<replying a month and a half later>

Mine does that too.

Is it possible to bring bad bottles up to Reaper HQ?

I guess I shoulda checked the time stamp...I was relying a year+ later! DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just a quick note for those checking in here. I've been going through my RMS bottles (all new...thanks to the wifey for buying me set #1 for Father's Day) and putting an "X" on the cap of the grainy ones. However, I pushed a pin through the dropper, then opened it up, added 3 drops of flow improver, and some clean water. All but a a couple are still grainy. I'd encourage everyone to try that first.

Also...totally random here...I have 2 brand new bottles of Nightshade Purple...and one's noticably lighter than the other...not that I have a problem with that personally.

Anne...I'll make it up there eventually, and bring a couple of bottles (of paint) with me.

• Reaper User
I guess I shoulda checked the time stamp...I was relying a year+ later! DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just a quick note for those checking in here. I've been going through my RMS bottles (all new...thanks to the wifey for buying me set #1 for Father's Day) and putting an "X" on the cap of the grainy ones. However, I pushed a pin through the dropper, then opened it up, added 3 drops of flow improver, and some clean water. All but a a couple are still grainy. I'd encourage everyone to try that first.

Also...totally random here...I have 2 brand new bottles of Nightshade Purple...and one's noticably lighter than the other...not that I have a problem with that personally.

Sounds like you ordered from an online store...nothing here has been grainy for almost a year now (/happy!). The Nightshade Purple, like many other paints, changed hue when our paint company canceled our old colored bases and we had to reformulate. The darker/richer of the two is the newer bottle. Luckily the new colored bases were definitely a change for the better!!

Other than that, if it's thick paint, no problem, add water/flow improver. If it's grainy, bring it in for a replacement, it's a bad bottle. ::):

--Anne

I have to admit that I'm pretty frustrated after I bagged up what's now the 7th bottle of paint that's clumpy and grainy. First, it's frustrating because I've already had to swap at least 10, probably more like 15. Granted, I won a set of 100 paints that could've been old, though they were handed to me by a Reaper employee at a GT and not some random store, but this is getting tiresome. Second, it's frustrating because it fouled up two models. The first was just a minor bit for a base and for my own use, not so big a deal. The second was for a commissioned piece from a person who's bought about $300 worth of figs from me and wants about that much more. Now I found myself tonight trying to cover up the graininess left on the model--at least it was in a large stew pot with lots of swirly messiness.

I'll come in with these, but I really hope this problem has been solved. After winning that set, I've gone on to buy many more RMS paints and have (had) hopes of buying the entire series. I love the color range and having paints thought out by a master painter is great...most come out of the bottle beautifully and go on smoothly but I've been stumped night after night when I pull out some paint for the first time and it glumps out of the bottle and looks like a little bit of fairy poo or something.

I've given away all my old GW paints and rarely dip into the Vallejo. I don't have the money to reinvest in other paints, but I'm at a good 20 bottles or so that are clumpy and grainy. Anne's been great about replacing them and to an extent I feel like a heel coming in with another bad batch, but going back to my original point this is just frustrating.

Sorry for the venting but I'm painting for green nowadays. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

I have to admit that I'm pretty frustrated after I bagged up what's now the 7th bottle of paint that's clumpy and grainy. First, it's frustrating because I've already had to swap at least 10, probably more like 15. Granted, I won a set of 100 paints that could've been old, though they were handed to me by a Reaper employee at a GT and not some random store, but this is getting tiresome. Second, it's frustrating because it fouled up two models. The first was just a minor bit for a base and for my own use, not so big a deal. The second was for a commissioned piece from a person who's bought about $300 worth of figs from me and wants about that much more. Now I found myself tonight trying to cover up the graininess left on the model--at least it was in a large stew pot with lots of swirly messiness.

I'll come in with these, but I really hope this problem has been solved. After winning that set, I've gone on to buy many more RMS paints and have (had) hopes of buying the entire series. I love the color range and having paints thought out by a master painter is great...most come out of the bottle beautifully and go on smoothly but I've been stumped night after night when I pull out some paint for the first time and it glumps out of the bottle and looks like a little bit of fairy poo or something.

I've given away all my old GW paints and rarely dip into the Vallejo. I don't have the money to reinvest in other paints, but I'm at a good 20 bottles or so that are clumpy and grainy. Anne's been great about replacing them and to an extent I feel like a heel coming in with another bad batch, but going back to my original point this is just frustrating.

Sorry for the venting but I'm painting for green nowadays. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

Handed to you by a Reaper Employee at a GT? Are you sure it was a Reaper employee at a GW GT event? A problem that is crossing that many colors doesn't sound like a specific problem with the batches. If you are close to 30 bottles of bad paint and looking at the beginning of this thread it wasn't even close to 30. Sounds more like you have paint that was frozen at some point. There are certainly some paints in the line that are thicker than others, that's just the nature of pigments and may also be the result of not enough agitation before use. Even RMS are going to seperate in the bottle if you haven't used the paint in a while.

I have to admit that I'm pretty frustrated after I bagged up what's now the 7th bottle of paint that's clumpy and grainy.

I'm right there with you. And at the risk of offending our hosts, I really have to say that I've had it with RMS paint. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. I bought the whole set and I've tried to use it. But every time I pull a blue- or gray-based paint from the box I end up with a clumpy, grainy pebbled surface on my figs. It's awful.

So I've put nearly half the set away. I can't risk ruining another figure. I don't have that kind of time, and being fortunate enough to afford it, I have other paint to which I can turn. But other painters aren't so lucky, and I have a hard time recommending this paint to my students, even though I'd really like to support Reaper. I'm diplomatic to be sure -- I praise Reaper for their browns especially (there are a number from the set that I can't live without) and other colors (liners) that are satisfactory -- but I do tell my students to shy from the blues and to buy other brands for those colors.

Now I know I can return paint. I've done so, and Reaper has exchanged it. For that I applaude their service. But still, I haven't been satisfied with what I received in exchange. So I won't waste my time or money packing the bad bottles up again to ship out. Nor do I plan to purchase the coming expansion triads.

So all that said -- I'm not angry. I'm over that. I'm just disappointed. I'd hoped this would have been cleared up.

Reaper -- you have a problem with your paint. And I and other painters I know are turning back to other brands. Please be advised. :down:

My problem with the white primer is that it doesn't stay in suspension very well. So you need to shake the ever lovin' heck out of it to get a 'true mix'. Too many times I get more binder than pigment so by the time the bottle is 2/3 gone it's unusable.

The black primer seems much more fluid.

My problem with the white primer is that it doesn't stay in suspension very well. So you need to shake the ever lovin' heck out of it to get a 'true mix'. Too many times I get more binder than pigment so by the time the bottle is 2/3 gone it's unusable.

The black primer seems much more fluid.

The black primer is great. I use it a good deal. There are other colors I really love. The range of browns is green. For me, it's been a lot of the blues and blue grays. This time it's also dark skin and dark highlight. The dark shadow is perfectly fine, no problem at all. I ended up using it and adding an off-white to highlight.

I'm not here to rant at Reaper and hope I'm not misinterpreted, but this paint thing is getting me down. I love the models and my VC army will feature quite a few. I love the people there, although I'm an infrequent Saturday visitor, and they are truly committed to the hobby and their customers. I think they produce the best models out there. I appreciate all those things, but I need paint I can rely on.

I'm not here to rant at Reaper and hope I'm not misinterpreted, but this paint thing is getting me down.

My feelings exactly, which is why I've bit my tongue for so long. I just want to Reaper to know going forward that they have a problem. I'm not looking to spark an argument and I'm not looking for resolution for myself. I've moved on. I simply say as much so they'll know and take further action for the sake of customers to come. ::):

And Kristof -- Your point is well taken. And not to be contrary or belabor the point, but I've spoken with a number of painters -- painters in different states and environments (CO, GA, N.E., etc.), painters who take great care of their tools, and painters who are very experienced with a wide range of paint (some professionals) -- and while we all can't say how the paint was handled before it came to us, we all say the same thing. Reaper has a problem with specific colors and it hasn't gotten better.

That said -- We hope things improve.

Whiz - understood. I wasn't directing that point so much at those of you who have lots of experience, but at those people who don't have the experience, and might jump to conclusions about the paint before really getting all the facts - particularly if there is a known issue with some of the paints. In the MSP case, there are known issues with some colors and/or batches, but that doesn't necessarily mean ALL colors are suffering the same issue.

I encounter this a lot in my job - a service bulletin is released for a known issue, and suddenly everyone is clamoring that even the most tenously related problem must be the result of the same cause.