Question about Matte Sealer

Alex3

I'm a painting newbie so I was hoping someone with a little more experience could answer a quick question...

I have a few minis that were painted over the past few months, all of them sprayed with Armory brand "Matte Sealer," and I was just wondering whether or not it was ok to paint over that? I've gotten a little better since I started and I have better paint/materials so I thought I'd touch up some, repaint a few little parts, etc. I just wanted to make sure it would be ok- like the paint wouldn't come rolling off and mess up the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

Hello Alex, welcome to the hobby and the boards. ::):

I'm not that familiar with Armory brand sealer, but in general matte sealers have enough "tooth" for paint to be applied over the top of them. What you may need to do is to re-spray the sealer on after you've touched parts up, to make sure the new paint sticks. ::): It does depend, however, on how matte the sealer is. Many "matte" sealers are actually closer to satin (they have a slight gloss to them) and the more shine, the more difficult it will be to have paint stick to them because there is nothing for the paint to grab onto. Of course if you are using thick paint it will probably stick, but you get better results with thinner paint, so...I'd guess my question would be, is Armory sealer dead matte, or is there some shine to it?

--Anne ::):

I'm a painting newbie so I was hoping someone with a little more experience could answer a quick question...

I have a few minis that were painted over the past few months, all of them sprayed with Armory brand "Matte Sealer," and I was just wondering whether or not it was ok to paint over that? I've gotten a little better since I started and I have better paint/materials so I thought I'd touch up some, repaint a few little parts, etc. I just wanted to make sure it would be ok- like the paint wouldn't come rolling off and mess up the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!

Nah. Paint all you want over that. In the professional art world, we use Dull Cote to seal up a stage we really like before proceding. it wont mess a thing up. infact, if you mess up on the touch up, you can remove that paint easier without messing up the prior paint job. have at it and have fun!

Thanks! How would you remove the paint? Where can I get that stuff, too? I get the armory brand because it's on miniature market and at my FLGS, but I'm not too loyal to it I guess. :)

And thanks for the welcome- I've been reading a few threads and the 'the craft' section of the site, and it's all pretty useful for starting out. I was thinking of getting photos of the ones I've done and posting them, do people do critiques of them? I don't think they're worth showing off, but would I post a thread like that here or in the other forum? I mostly just want any tips people might want to give.

Thanks for all the help! You guys rock.

Thanks! How would you remove the paint? Where can I get that stuff, too? I get the armory brand because it's on miniature market and at my FLGS, but I'm not too loyal to it I guess. :)

And thanks for the welcome- I've been reading a few threads and the 'the craft' section of the site, and it's all pretty useful for starting out. I was thinking of getting photos of the ones I've done and posting them, do people do critiques of them? I don't think they're worth showing off, but would I post a thread like that here or in the other forum? I mostly just want any tips people might want to give.

Thanks for all the help! You guys rock.

As for Testor's Dull Cote, any place that sells Testor's paints. Micheal's, Habby Lobby, Walmart are all great places to try. If you want a very good primer that is realitively cheap and is one of the thinnest o th market try Duplicolor White Sandable primer. Again an industry favorite for its very thin applications. Available at any car parts dealership like Autozone, O' Reilly's, or Nappa.

• Reaper User

And as far as posting pictures for feedback, you will want to put those in either the Works in Progress forum or the Show Off forum, depending on if they are finished or not! Also make sure to say you are looking for constructive feedback so people will know to comment. ::):

--Anne