Bad holiday gifts.

dargrin

So I watched this video (Video is about 5 min.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SecVCh9dg4I&NR=1

and thought what kind of bad holiday gifts we get over the years.

I think the one the sticks out the most is when I was about 10 or so my mom bought me Shazam Underoos. I went to my room and cried.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO!

My mother-in-law is a horrible gift giver. One year it was a case of apples - apples that were a little too ripe. Another year it was candles and CDs with bad christmas music. The year she started doing beadwork, it was beadwork decorations. The year she started doing stained glass, it was stained glass (ok, that one wasn't too bad). Last year was two pounds of cashews. This year, she bought a sock knitting machine that she won't stop talking about, so I'm guessing we're all getting socks for christmas.

It may run in the family, though - her dad keeps sending his great-grandchildren Starbucks gift cards. Which will be ok in a few years, but right now the oldest of them is 6.

And at least my wife and her brother have suffered enough with their mom's gift giving to become great gift givers themselves.

My ex-husband was the worst.

I received power strips one year.

At the time, I didn't even own a computer, yet I received power strips. The same year his parents gave me some plastic cooking utensils from their local dollar store. His mother let it dropped that she wasn't sure what to get me so she had asked him.

Sometimes it's really not the thought that counts. There is no thought put into some gifts.

Sometimes it's really not the thought that counts. There is no thought put into some gifts.

Power strips? Ouch! Maybe I should have done that to my ex-wife. She never liked any gifts I ever gave to her - there was always something wrong with them - she'd usually take them back and exchange them for something else. I would spend more and more time each year trying to find the right gift for her, only to end up disappointed with her reaction.

I cheated this year and avoided the whole thing all together: I gave my wife my credit card and said "Here. Go buy yourself what you want for Christmas so I can give it you." Yes, it is incredibly lame and there is no thought input from my side, but she has so many clothes and jewelry and books and stuff that picking something out that 1) she would wear and 2) would actually like is darn near impossible. I consider it win-win.

Wild Bill :blues:

I am the bad gift giver of the family. I admit it, but I don't feel guilty. My family is the one that can't have the conversation that buying all, I mean, ALL of you a present is too much. So, I buy something local for the extended ones. This year its a bag of VA peanuts, no one lives in VA, but my wife and I. It'll be great to get that crap from the others in return too.

• Artists

Hm, I think one of the worst I got was a couple of mini skirt slips when I was a teenager. I give the gifter credit for having noticed I was wearing mini skirts at the time, but this always seemed like a pretty pointless clothing item to me. I think I was given an Aunt Jemina-ish napkin holder made from an old bottle of dish washing liquid by the same person another year.

Two pounds of cashews sounds like a great gift to me, though!

Two pounds of cashews sounds like a great gift to me, though!

It would have been, if I could still eat more than 2-3 cashews a day. My mother in law should know that I have problems digesting nuts - it's been mentioned to her enough times because I can't eat very much of half the food she makes because of things like nuts and extraordinarily high fiber content. It's not that I don't like to eat what she cooks, it just doesn't like me if I'm not careful about it.

And she gave the same thing to both her kids, and her four step kids - despite that she should have known at least one of her step-kids doesn't like nuts at all.

She tries, she really does, but she's become so much of a hermit who won't leave the rural town she lives in, she really doesn't have a clue what's going on in her kid's lives, nor what they may actually like.

We do give her credit that her heart is in the right place, she just isn't very good at giving gifts.

My problem isn't so much that I get bad gifts, it's that it has been 15 years since I lived anywhere near any of my relatives. So the gifts have gotten rather generic. Except for the older of my two younger sisters. For my birthday this year she sent me a set of Chessex dice. :wub: When she came to visit she was asking questions about miniatures so here's hoping for some lead under the tree this year...

My husband's mom and sister are the worst. (and in that order)

His sister, for some reason, for my birthday or Christmas or anniversary it's always some sort of hand cream or body wash.

I now have enough to last me a life time.

His mom and sister for my wedding shower (sister was my maid of honour) gave me a gift basket full of all kinds of little kitchen do-hickies from the dollor store. Half of which still had the price tags on.

As a wedding gift his mom made us a quilt. It started five years ago as my husband's house warming gift but after meeting me was renamed a wedding quilt. The colours in it, red, black, and grey. Which matches nothing in our home.

And to top everything off, now remember, my husband and I have been together for a total of 4 years.

This year when his mom gave us a Christmas card, she had my name spelled wrong.

But on a lighter note- When I was a kid my Gramma bought me Wonder Woman Underoos. And they Rocked!

My dad's mom was pretty good at picking out the WTF presents.

One year for Christmas she gave me a box of cardboard beverage coasters with pictures of fruit on them... and a set of floodlights for the house.

My dad can say he comes by it honestly. His idea of Christmas presents usually involved something auto-related. My sister one year got a case of oil, a bottle of antifreeze, and a flush-fill kit for her radiator.

Steve and I made the agreement long ago that if there is something we want, we get it. If it's pricy, we might discuss it, but otherwise we don't wait for hoildays to do something nice for one another..and we both agree that a bad surprise is worse than nothing at all.

___

As for vacuum cleaners, I got one the first Valentines Day I was married . Steve and I went down to Sears and picked it out together and I was thrilled. Up until then I had been using one of those Hokey carpet sweepers.

I suppose it's just a matter of knowing who you're buying for.

Just talk? Something tells me there would be more than that...

Hey, I used to sell Kirby's. I would never have suggested it as a gift, but there were quite a few women who would tell their husbands that they could buy one as a gift (at the time they were $1,000+, I'm sure they're more now).

Since I have big family and I live far away from them, I've gotten a lot of crappy gifts. Most are long since lost to the memory, but my cousin once got me a pair of socks and some cheese. She thought it was funny...

A few years back we started just giving out one gift (in a Secret Santa sort of way). I think I've gotten just money or a gift card every year since. Not bad (you can always use cash), but certainly no thought (well, my uncle did give me a gift card to Home Depot after I bought my first house, which did show some thought). The cash is usually origami-ed into some design, but that's almost worse than just having it in a envelope - because now I'm destroying what work you did put into it when I actually use it...