Bad holiday gifts.

dargrin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a little surprised no one mentioned this one, yet; fruitcake. Year after year one of my aunts sent one of those waxy, nutty bricks, horribly mislabeled since they were neither fruit nor cake. Sure, they may have once contained fruit suspended in a cake-like substance, but for the ones we got the term lost relevance during the Lincoln administration. Every year one of those nasty, ancient things would show up at our door, or she would insist we have some when we would visit. Which was bad enough at Christmas, but in July...?!?

Well, ya, haven't you ever heard of "Christmas in July"? ::D:

(I can't stand the stuff either. Blaa.)

My dad actually likes fruitcake, thanks to some sort of twisted bonding with his dad over the stuff, who got his taste for it from his dad. My dad attempted to pervert me to liking the stuff to carry on this warped family tradition of the first son's bonding over the infernal stuff with their first son's, but I would have none of it. That tradition ends with my generation! That leaves only my dad in my entire family who will eat it.

On the bright side, it does mean that everyone in my family has a place to dump their fruitcakes they should happen to receive any - which has come in handy on those few occasions we get some sort of christmas basket that happens to contain some alongside the good stuff like cheeses and cookies.

My wife's parents seem to think that the $1 DVD bin of extremely old cartoons at Wal-Mart's check-outs is a great source of gifts for my 6 year old.

I bought one of those for myself, because it had a really offensive Superman cartoon that I wanted to see. (Different values over the ages, and all that.)

My kid won't keep his hands off it.

I think my worst was flannel. In the mid 80s. I never cared much about cool, and the full-body thermal undergarments were actually really fun. They reminded us of Tron. But flannel shirts were itchy and just didn't suit me that well.

I cheated this year and avoided the whole thing all together: I gave my wife my credit card and said "Here. Go buy yourself what you want for Christmas so I can give it you." Yes, it is incredibly lame and there is no thought input from my side, but she has so many clothes and jewelry and books and stuff that picking something out that 1) she would wear and 2) would actually like is darn near impossible. I consider it win-win.

Wild Bill :blues:

I agree WB.

Gift cards can be the greatest gift of all! (depending on the recipient). I give Gift Cards every christmas to my niece (age 20), my sister-in-law, and my mother-in-law. I have no clue what they really want but I do know where they love to shop, (& THEY LOVE TO SHOP) so they can fullfil their hobbies (shopping) at thier favorite place and get the after xmas bargins.

I would have to say that I am probably the easiest and yet sometimes the hardest in my family in which to buy. If I see something I want throughout the year then I will get it, I dont wait or hint that something should go on the wishlist, so selecting a present can be a challenge; however, I am always happy with a Lowes Card, I can alway find room for a new power or hand tool or building materials, or any Instrument of Destruction needed to fix Alice's Restaurant

My mother-in-law didn't know what to get my Muslim brother-in-law one year, so got him a tin of cookies. "You know Kathy, Muslims also use things like......clothes........or cologne. Or some other generic gift."

My other brother-in-law got a can of buffalo meat from one of his half-brothers once. He's not very close to that part of the family for obvious reasons.

I can't think of any really bad presents I've received.

Gift cards can be the greatest gift of all! (depending on the recipient).

Gift Cards (or certificates) can be the best or worst gift. Give me a gift cad to a place I love, like Home Depot, Chipotle or Reaper (among many others), and it's a great gift. Give me one to a place I don't frequent or like, like K-Mart, Radio Shack, JC Penney, etc, and it ain't so great.

A few years back my hubby actually got me a carpet steamer cleaner for Christmas, and I really liked it. I love that thing. I think however that Spike and I might be in the feminine minority. Now if he got me a mustache waxer or a thigh master.... well... then we would have to talk.

Well, I'm in that minority as well. I would be perfectly happy with a vacuum cleaner, food processor, power tool or a membership for the local gym, but I would be rather disappointed if I got perfume or diamonds :-) I have issues with perfume and I think diamonds are ridiculously expensive and not very pretty.

As to the worst gift ever, it was a digital camara. Again that doesn't sound too bad at first, but the thing was that my husband and I had put a specific one on our wedding present wish list, and our old room mate gave os a cheap one that took horrible pictures - and then I felt that we couldn't get a new one because that might make him feel bad, and I felt guilty about not liking the present because I know that he had spent what to him was a lot of money on it. So I was actually very relieved when the thing broke a year later.

But in general I'm easy to give gifts to, because I always appreciate the thought in the gift, even if the gift itself is not something I particularly want. The last thing I want to do is to be like my father who criticized every gift he ever got to the point where he ruined christmas for everyone. I remember at least one christmas where he made me cry because he kept pointing out what a useless gift I had gotten him! Weird thing was that he himself always got very sad and disappointed when his mother did that same thing to him, which she did everytime he got her anything. But I think this is why I had such a hard time with the camera, bacause I never want anybody to feel the way my dad made me feel when they give me something!

On a funnier note, my wife took the Six-year-old shopping for a present for me over the weekend. He earned some money doing chores and whatnot and wanted to buy me something by himself. The first thing he thought of was a pack of markers (why wouldn't anyone want MARKERS!), but my wife told him he should buy something I would like for myself and not just because it came from him.

On the way home, after thinking it over for a while, he asked why she would buy him clothes for Christmas since he doesn't like them for himself and would rather be getting toys. Out-logicked by a six-year-old.

Our son's Christmas list for this year is something like this:

Lego Batman for the Wii

PJs

Socks and Underpants

I kid you not. That's all he wants for Christmas.

I would love getting clothes for Christmas if my relatives had any idea what kind of clothes to get me. For those that know me, imagine me wearing a sweatshirt with a cutesy little teddy bear on it with pink and yellow hearts... yeah, my grandmother tried that one year (and I was in my 20s at the time, no where near the age of 5). It was several years later we found out she had Alzheimers. I keep telling myself that was the reason she even deigned to put my name on such a gift.

My son's "list" consists of pretty much anything he sees that's not pink or purple. But he's realistic about what he will actually be getting. He wrote Santa a very specific letter about the exact Nerf Dart Gun he'd like to receive. In true "Christmas Story" style, it'll be under the tree. At my mom's. At least she had the sense to arm his brother, too. Maybe even the cousins.

On the way home, after thinking it over for a while, he asked why she would buy him clothes for Christmas since he doesn't like them for himself and would rather be getting toys. Out-logicked by a six-year-old.

LMAO! Too cute.

@ Ary - what's wrong with your kid? It seems like my five year old wants everything he sees - if not for him, for somebody else - we would give him catalogs to circle what he wants. We got a little confused when things like Barbies and dollhouse sets were circled considering he won't even walk down the Barbie aisle at Target because "those are girl toys!" When we asked him about them, he would say "Oh, I want that for Alexandria" or "I want that for Danielle," his cousins.

Then again, maybe it's my kid who has issues....