Sign in to follow this  
Steven Page

Tomb of the Iron God

Amarixes gets up and performs his morning rituals, then goes to the waning fire and pokes it about.

"If we are drawing near to the Kobold's lair, should we be discuss how best to scout and approach it? I doubt they would welcome us and we know not what we're moving into."

The elf puts his armor in his back, explaining: "I'm Gwynned the magician today, as the spirits told me. So, I don't need this. I agree to scout first and prepare our plan. Then, when the plan is ready, to forget it and run into the danger. Preparing a plan and never follow it is a tradition that must be stricly enforced and respected".

As evening approaches, the group sees a small cave mouth at the base of a large granite rock face. Gwynned finds paw prints, just about the right size for kobolds.

"Do we dare go inside at night? These things might be nocturnal."

"I can cast a light spell but we'll be down a healing spell if need be."

"Do we dare go inside at night? These things might be nocturnal."

"I can cast a light spell but we'll be down a healing spell if need be."

Amarixes sighs and scratches his head. "I would have preferred to have come up with some strategy before rambling down to this hole, but now we must take a few moments to decide what to do. How about two of us with stout armor and keen eyes look down into the hole and about to see what we face?"

Amarixes I am with you but staring down a dark hole is not what I suggest. I would observe the cave entrance for a day or so. If they have guards we can know what they're patterns are if any if they send out food patrols I would suggest either ambushing it or going in after it when they are at a weaker strength. Time is on our side and I think stocking our prey would be to our benefit.

I am not the most martial of adventurers, but it seems to me that being prepared with as much information as possible makes sense. Keeping an eye on things for awhile may make sense, but staying in one place too long seems to invite discovery. But let us decide quickly, as we are simply standing here in the open.

With that Amarixes motions to any nearby trees or cover that we could head to.

"We, elves, favor the 'bite and run' tactic. We enter the cave, kill the wards, move back and keep quietly, for a few weeks. Then, we do it again. And again. They' cant' replace their wards quickly enough, the last one will withdraw before we kill them, in less than one year. Perhaps two, if they're tough or lucky", suggest Gwynned.

I look at the elf: You're more than welcome to stay here a few years, given how you age. We might want to think about doing it a bit quicker. Still, some kernel of truth lies in his words... trying to draw opposition out might be a useful tactic.

Ok here is what I purpose. I would suggest ambushing a hunting party or wait for the party to leave giving less numbers in the cave and entering then. I would suggest waiting for them to leave. Here is why. If we were to enter just after they left it would give an apperance that they might be coming back for some reason giving us the element of suprise.

"I could go for that."

"How long are willing to wait out for group to arrive thou is the question."

Let us see what the terrain looks like so we can tell what cover we have. If the cover is good, I would say no more then 6 or so hours. Obviously if we see them sooner the it would be go time. But cover is the key. I would almost suggest that one small stealthy one can watch and then come back to the rest of the party back at a more concealed position if that would be more beneficial for hiding purposes.

We will be well rested so I think that would be also to our advantage as well.