Yo ho, an undead pirates life for me!

DevilSquid

Avast!

Who cares what the game is, who cares who makes it, there do be undead pirates to play!!

Yargh!

Shiver me timbers, and other motivational piratical phrases...

Good afternoon all. I recently received my copy of the Casket in the mail, and lo and behold, rules for Razig's Revenge! I had already purchased Razig due to him being an Undead Pirate, but now I learn that there are rules for a whole crew of undead! Most excellent!

I've been a fan of Reaper minis for years, supplementing my D&D games with their excellent selection of heroes (and baddies). And now they're coming out with a game that has undead pirates in it? Huzzah!! My Heroes!

Anywho's, I'd like to perhaps add something constructive to this post. I've read the rules for warlord already, and I'll post my thoughts on that in a separate post. But for now, onto the Undead Pirates!

The background and bio's for the members of Razig's Revenge are outstanding. There's just enough to get a feel for them, without drowning you in pages of extra stuff. Most Excellent! Kudos to all involved in the writing.

Rules:

"Thar's the scurvy dog wit me treasure!"

-I think this rule will be the main feel behind RR (Razig's Revenge). You can point at whomever has been nominated as the 'Scurvy dog', and make all sorts of great threats against them. Anything that provides an opportunity for me to yell 'Argh' at someone is well received.

"Guns! Bring up the Guns!"

-Oooo...I like the Soul Cannons already. And not being limited to one? "Suck Cannonball ye scallywag!"

"Thar's an imposter boys, let's kil 'im!"

-Makes sense to me all the way...

"Do ye want ta live forever?!"

-I understand the whole crew being undead. Makes sense. But unless there's a Discipline check that Fearless doesn't affect, then everyone’s DS of 9 doesn't do much of anything. Also, most of them have deflect. Is this also to represent their undead nature?

"Oh no lad, hate sustains me!"

-This is the real meat and taters rule of Razig's Revenge. It show's Razig's sheer tenacity at getting his treasure back. Even if your entire force gets demolished, if the Scurvy dog is still alive, then so is Razig! He's like the Energizer Skeleton! Also allowing to sacrifice your troops to bring Razig back is good flavor too.

"Sing yer note canary bird"

- Most excellent, from what i've gathered from magic. Quick Question: I understand how you buy spells with the Casting Grade, equal to the #/# of Mage or Cleric, but where does the point cost come into play? I looked under the rules for spells, and could not find where the spells are located. Do those count only for bounty? Inquiring Pirates want to know.

Also, there's a note in Clarissa the Banshee's background about how she's mad because her power doesn't work on the crew, but according to the spell, it does. I guess just to balance out the sheer 'oomph' of it...

The Data Card looks good to me, with one little change in mind. Clarissa's AA is Razig/Evil, while The Dark Maiden's AA is Razig/Neutral. I would suggest switching those around, because Clarissa is more a victim of Razig and not particularly Evil (selfish, sure) while The Dark Maiden is written as "Only she knows where the storm winds will take them and what black schemes dwell within her rotting wooden heart." That sounds more evil to me than neutral.  :;):

My complements to Taun who did the artwork for the Razig's Revenge article, and if the figures are of similar quality, then I can hardly wait. The picture of the Dark Maiden alone is fantastic!

And, of course, one could not do without the Three Arrrrr's of Pirate Schoolin'. Funny when read aloud.

I look forward to seeing this game develop, as well as looking forward to whatever models are produced for this game.

(Of course, the other Warlord models look superb as well, but they're not UNDEAD PIRATES!!! YARGH!!)

Das DevilSquid

"Z t s n z barrel."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shiver me timbers!  I love a good undead pirate crew and now while I wait for Reaper to crank out more of them I'll have to get started on building a proper ghost ship!

A crew for Razig would be very welcome.

As for a ship, Wargames Foundry just put up free PDFs of Pirate Flags and Pirate Ship plans:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/library/pirateship/index.asp

Woohoo! Free!

Anyone made the Wargames Foundry ships yet?  They look really spiffy.

Not yet. At the moment, I have a lot of time so I am looking to make a small one.

Currently Razig is going to have to command a ship I converted from the Pressman Games "Pirate Battle Game". Heh. Works well as a small sloop or a pinnace, though, which is fine for pirates.

Has anyone seen those Wargames Foundry Minis in the metal?  Some of those pirates and the knights in particular would make jim dandy base models for undead conversion (chop off heads, replace with skculls or muck up with gobs of green stuff for the zombie types).  The historic knights/soldiers would male spifforic replacements for the GW versions of the Empire.  I'm just cruious if they are the "larger" scale, or the older and "smaller" (which most historics seem to be) scales.

Re: Wargames Foundry Pirates

Actually Mogramen, I have (mumble, mumble) pirates. Okay, I have around 70-75 Foundry Pirates...and 30 or so Eurekas, and 10 or so assorted other pirates and the Reaper boxed set. Never enough pirates, really. I really liket the Foundry pirates, although Eureka makes some zombie pirates which might be easier for conversion.

Fact is that they are a bit smaller than Reapers. I hate to bring up the scale issue, but my Reaper pirates from "Pirates of the Dragonspine Sea" are basically 30mm figures. The Foundry pirates are 28mm. Yes, I measure to the eyes, and yes, I measured both the same way. The Reapers are taller.

Here is a side by side pick of some Reaper pirates and some of my Foundry pirates:

http://www.geocities.com/p_dellorto/pirates.html

The Reaper figures are tall enough to be noticeable, but they are close enough for gaming purposes. You could use them as hero- or leader-types, where it helps if they are just a bit taller than the non-hero types.

Editing later: Oh yeah, GW Empire vs. Foundry Knights. I have some really old Hundred Years War Foundry figures. They are a bit small (true 25s, with the Empire and modern Foundry minis being 28mm). I do not have any recent Foundry minis in the HYW line, although I do have a pack of their Conquistadors, who stand up fine against GW Empire figures in terms of height.