What have you accomplished in 2008

Sergeant_Crunch

Rather than count the number of minis I finished I'm more proud of the fact that I've broken the two hour mental barrier. That is, I can normally paint a decent tabletop figure in about two hours.

If I had to think back and try to count minis I would say I completed about 20 of them and that's being generous.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to say - 20-25... And a couple of wins at painting comps at an area FLGS. My production rate is low - but I am still having fun with painting, so there you go.

I did quadruple the number of RMS paints I own, so that should be worth something right? Now if I can just knock down the number of unpainted minis* I have lying about - I'll be on top of the world.

*This number is not even a drop in the bucket compared to what many around here have packed away - but I can see a gradual build-up that is beginning to trouble me... and my spouse ::(: .

I think I painted ~35 figures.

However, the best accomplishment for me was that I finished my project for my DM. I finally completed a project I started 5 years ago.

I'm also pleased that I actually entered a piece into a competition, even if it's only by photographs.

This next year, the specific things I hope to get better at:

Mini prep - Need to learn how to clean up mold lines and sprue snips better. I think this also includes some minor scuplting techniques.

Blending - I have achieved some success if I pre-mix shades of highlights, I would love to just be able to have my shadow, mid, and highlight and be able to blend. I want to start working on lighting effects, and I can't do that if I can't blend.

Umm... I think the number stands at 10 for this year if you count the one that still needs basing. That's up from last year so here's to 16 in 2009! Shouldn't be hard, my Warmachine army might actually get played with this year so I've been piecing it together again slowly.

I painted, err, umm, 2 minis... :down:

...it appeared that I painted a grand total of three figures.

Show off.

Incredible. I thought my 7 figures would be the lowest. That makes me feel better. Marginally.

Ishil

By the number of models completed, my 2008 production total was down about 80% (5) vs. 2007 (25 or so, IIRC). By the number of hours spent painting, there was very little change, maybe down 10% total for the year. However, most of 2007's time spent fell in the first 6 or 7 months, while nearly all of 2008's time was in the last 3 months. With that gap of little or no painting for more than a year, I derive some sense of accomplishment just from getting back to the workbench at all. In the interim, I did manage to build paint racks, re-work my 'studio' and install a display cabinet. While these things did not directly result in more painted minis, they were at least mini-related. De-cluttering and organizing helped me carve out those short blocks of painting time at the end of '08.

In terms of quality, I made some small improvements. A couple of online comp wins seems to bear this out. I entered only two minis in online comps in '07 and won one small category. Compare that to '08 with 5 entries resulting in 1 win, 1 tough(er than '07) category win and one still hopeful...well, I can see a difference. ::): I know I still have a long way to go, but I learned a few things along the way. I do feel a bit more confident than I did even just a few months ago. Realistically, that's about all I can expect considering the time spent away from painting.

Looking ahead at '09, there are just too many variables to take into account. The first few weeks alone will introduce several more variables into my day job, weekends, budget and family commitments. I may lose some of my hobby time, I may regain a little here and there. I cannot predict the future with any reasonable accuracy, so my plan is to pick some just-for-fun projects for the short term, work toward the long-term goals as time and money permit, stay flexible and roll with the changes.

I'm an extreme slacker when it comes to painting miniatures, apparently. The number of miniatures actually completed and D-U-N stands at about nine; an Everblight Angelius, Victoria Haley, Coleman Stryker, Sebastian Nemo, Eiryss, Loryn Stormblade, the three Snow Goons.

The number of miniatures started but unfinished is slightly lower than that. A Chaos Terminator Sorcerer, Hannah Blackruby, an unnamed Reaper orc with a huge freakin' sword, "Siege" Brisbane, two Journeyman Warcasters, and an Ultramarines Captain.

This year I hope to finish an Eldar army and my Cygnar stuff. And to make Thursday nights the designated "Paint Minis" night. :|

In the end it's not about the numbers, but whether or not your enjoyed yourself.

That would be a resounding 'no', which is why so many were thrown away, and why I'm unlikely to pick up a brush any time soon.

In the end it's not about the numbers, but whether or not your enjoyed yourself.

That would be a resounding 'no', which is why so many were thrown away, and why I'm unlikely to pick up a brush any time soon.

A new WoW expansion probably didn't help much either. :poke: