Broccoli Bases

Madog Barfog

Maybe people would be more amenable to broccoli bases if there were a small packet of cheese sauce with each miniature sporting said bases.

Only if there was a package of bacon crumbles too. ::P:

Maybe for the winter themed figs they should use cauliflower-(white) or cream of wheat bases

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't trying to stir anything up, I just wanted to know what to paint them as. If I've asked before, it's because I still haven't gotten an answer, or rather, that the answer is that it's for brand recognition and not anything specific. I am frustrated in trying to make it look like something it isn't, or turning it into something else.

I also wasn't advocating slot bases, although they do give me a lot of basing flexibility. I don't mind some assembly, and the worst case scenario is a touch of superglue and you are good to go. Ironically, the figures most likely to have slot bases are the ones most likely to be needed in a hurry for wargaming. Given that, I'm afraid the argument of speed against them doesn't stand up.

If I had my choice, I'd take slotted bases and put them on Warmachine round bases. My second choice would be an integral base that fits the figure - sand for djinni, leaves for woodland creatures, etc. I don't think Reaper really needs to differentiate themselves from Heritage. I have hundreds of minis, and maybe 3 are Heritage that came from Ebay.

I wasn't trying to stir anything up, I just wanted to know what to paint them as. If I've asked before, it's because I still haven't gotten an answer, or rather, that the answer is that it's for brand recognition and not anything specific. I am frustrated in trying to make it look like something it isn't, or turning it into something else.

I've traditionally painted them up as grassy ground cover, or covered them/removed them for a different basing. Since most of the figures look like temperate climate fantasy, that works most of the time.

That said, the brocoli bases work well painted as alternate ground cover. I've painted some up as rocky sand, and had that work, as well.

If it works for the ground cover I want, I paint it. If it doesn't, I change it.

@LunchBox, Only if you forget and add melted butter. It could mess up the judges paperwork.

Now if only Reaper made round 1" and square 1" broccoli bases......

I've bought lots of Heresy flagstone bases which fit right over the plastic. Would anyone but me buy the broccoli shaped to a base??

You just clip the slot off a model's feet, and pin through the base. Add superglue. Paint to tastes.