Sign in to follow this  
FreeFall

Static grass

OK I have looked and looked and I'll be buggered if I can find anywhere online to buy a small bag of static grass!  My FLGS only has a huge container I will never go through.  Anyone have a source for me online?

Consider the price of the big container from your FLGS.

After shipping costs, the smaller bag may be too pricey.

Find someone who carries the GW static grass, its in a smaller container.  Unfortunately, it may be the same price as the cheap stuff.

I second Cade13. Buy the stuff in the large container.  If it's the same one I bought, it's by Woodland Scenics, runs for like $8 U.S., and comes in a variety of colored grasses so make sure you get the color want.  If nothing else, maybe you can split it with a friend.

GW does sell bags of the stuff but they are horribly bright and like all GW stuff horribly overpriced for what you get as well ???

http://www.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us <-- USA

http://www.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk <-- UK

simply search for grass or flock in the search boxes

oh and the US store isnt that well updated, not only is the picture they show for static grass wrong (they show green flock :oo:) you also get about 2/3 of whats shown lol

Here is another idea: why not split the cost with other mini enthusiasts in your area or gaming group? This way, everyone gets a good deal on a decent supply of stuff. Myself, I buy multiple colors and shades so I can mix them and get a more realistic tone. If all else fails, leave me a message with your mailing info and I'll go buy some and sell you what you need, and ship it to you at cost (rather than the inflated S&H most companies want).

The woodland scenics grass seems overall better than what GW is putting out (at least, to me, the strands seem longer, giving a better effect...but maybe that's just me, I haven't measured them!).  It's worth buying the quart, I just tend to give my friends baggies of it when they run out or forget to bring theirs somewhere (Cons come to mind...).  When you're talking eight bucks USD for a quart in any color you like or paying five bucks for a baggie in a color you're not thrilled with...well, you see.  :)

--Anne

I bought a quart o Woodland Scenics Burnt Static Grass on the advice of some painter woman on one of these forums.   :p

I had previously bought some GW SG and it was very shiney and didn't look good at all.  I am more satisfied with the WS stuff though it still looks a bit shiney.  I also bought some dead grass flock and mixed some of it with the dark green I already had.  I gives it a more realistic look.  I'm still not totally thrilled with how my bases have been comming out, they don't look all that real to me.  Mayhaps when Anne's got an extra nano second she can write up a basing tutorial for we the unwashed masses.  :D

Okay. The GW stuff comes with an extra bag specifically for shaking the flock. Yo got ta shake it! This gives the quantity you want to use the static charge that stands it up. Ok, then you dab some superglue where you want the grass to stick. Patches can be very effective I hear.

Dump the mini pretty much in the secondary bag with the shaken portion of static flock. Hold it thru the bag while shaking around to get plenty on the glue. I used a thick cyanoacrylate (zap a gap, crazy gule, etc). Take the mini back out, tap off excess, hold the mini overhead and blow UP into the base, then gently across the top of the grass, till it stands up pleasingly. Drybrush with a pale green once the glue is dry, especially GW flock as it's pretty green.

There you go, CD, hope that helps, I'm a beginner with this stuff, but the above seems to work.

I've always had issues trying to do any basing work with super glue.  Does everyone use super glue with static grass?  I would have thought it would dry too fast.

Side Note - I always paint lightly over the static grass to get the colors and look I want rather than rely on it out of the bag.

I have to say NO to the superglue. When the superglue dries, it tends to leave a frosted white effect on any paint that came in contact with the fumes. Try some Elmer's or other white glue. What I do for landscaping is as follows:

1: Fill the base (if using a seperate base) with sand or railroad gravel (Woodland Scenics makes a wide variety). If not using a seperate base, just paint the "ground" whichever shade of brown, green, or whatever, that appeals to your vision.

2: In a craft syringe (one with a long, tapered tip) mix a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water; add 1 drop of dishsoap to eliminate surface tension.

3: CAREFULLY soak the gravel/sand with the glue mix. Apply a little of the glue to the base of the miniature.

4: Mix different shades of static grass together to get the desired effects, then dip the base if the mini into the mixture; be careful to not get it all over the feet of the figure(s).

5: With a DRY paintbrush, carefully remove any grass which has stuck to the miniature.

6: Add any other detailing, such as long grass, by sticking it down into the wet, glued sand.

7: Let dry, and clear coat.

As an alternative, some folks may wish to use some type of putty in their bases; I find Squadron model putty to be extremely easy to use, easy to sculpt and contour, and readily available from hobby stores. For rocks, you can use either gravel or, for larger, more realistic looking rocks, use plain grey clay cat litter (clean, of course!).

I put my static grass in an empty plastic squeeze bottle.

As the last part of basing, I put full strength Elmer's glue where I want the static grass to go. Then shake up the bottle of static grass and squeeze out little clumps of grass.

Let the glue dry, then dry brush highlights on the static grass.

Here's an example:

Logar_ft.jpg

Hope that helps :)