Sign in to follow this  
Bren

Rhymaïss

So I don't often post WIPs. I actually don't know why... but this time I just want to paint this mini really good, I think she deserves it. I haven't painted such a nice mini in a long time (hooray for plastic it seems... :rolleyes: )

So please comment every single thing you don't like and needs to be improved (hence the big pictures).

post-4677-1231875417_thumb.jpg

post-4677-1231875466_thumb.jpg

post-4677-1231875491_thumb.jpg

post-4677-1231875506_thumb.jpg

I feel awkward about commenting, but I think her right buttock could use more highlighting, and the skin directly above doesn't seem right somehow.

This is far and away more amazing than anything I could do. However, you're asking for tiny things

My nits:

Back of her right elbow - there's a white line that seems more of a mistake than a highlight

someting about the top of her buttocks doesn't quite ring correct either, maybe the highlight is a little too high.

Considering how much shadow the chain has, I'm not sure the scabbard casts enough shadow

There's a little white line on her left pelvis/hip that seems misplaced, there's another one above it, right under the beads - left side shot

Left front shoulder may need a bit smoother blend (considering how flawless all the others are)

Not sure the right shoulder highlights are correct either...it looks more like a tan line than a highlight, if that makes sense. I think I'd have to look at a real arm, but it seems like the highlights are even on left and right shoulder...but the left shoulder is the tipy-top of the shoulder, where as the right is really the upper arm. I think the highlights on the upper arm would be darker? maybe?

Is she supposed to have a blemish on/by her nose?

So, I nitpicked. My honest opinion is WOW.

The color fade and free hand on the skirt is amazing.

I dream of someday painting half as well.

This is beautiful work so far! The skirt is gorgeous--I love the many variants in shading, the crispness of the folds, and the gentle color shift you've got going on. Maybe it's just the picture, but the highlights on the back of the skirt don't seem quite as strong as those on the front--and I like the way the brightness of those highlights on the front contribute to the high-shine effect. Same with the back of her right arm--doesn't quite seem quite as thoroughly shaded as the rest of her skin.

These are very minor nit-picks--I'm blown away by this paint job, and I very much look forward to seeing the finished mini!

This is a WIP? Wow.

I can't add any nitpicks that haven't already been voiced. But as far as I'm concerned, it's a beautiful piece of work as is.

The skintones are gorgeous as is that silky cloth. The NMM however feels like it's missing it's darkest shade. Especially on the trim of the dress deeper color in the folds would really make the curves pop out more. Also particularly where the scabbard and the belt meet. It looks great on the bracelets but the belt doesnt quite have that same three dimensionality. Am I making sense?

Describing NMM is harder then actually painting it sometimes...

First off, congrats on the win in the winter contest!

Secondly--woah...amazing piece.

Finally--I think all my critiques have been covered already except I would add that the gemstone on the belt could a bit darker around the light reflection. The primary thing for me is the area on the right side of the nose.

First a big thanks to everybody who took the time to nitpick ::):

I'm going to check everything you said on the real miniature, I suspect some tiny things might be caused by the photography, but there are certainly things that I agree on (the shading on the belt and the back side of the cloth for example).

About that thingie next to her nose, I wasn't sure what it was (a flaw in the sculpt or not) so I decided is was a piercing. The exact location might be a bit odd, but I figured it might be just possible. I guess it needs more shading around it... I'm going to work on it!

Thanks again!

About that thingie next to her nose, I wasn't sure what it was (a flaw in the sculpt or not) so I decided is was a piercing. The exact location might be a bit odd, but I figured it might be just possible. I guess it needs more shading around it... I'm going to work on it!

I think you have to treat it as a piercing, although the location is so far back on the nose that it really is on the face and looks a bit off. It's a function of the sculpt, though, not the paintwork.

*disclaimer* This is a beautiful work of art :) I am in awe of the smooth blends

You don't seem to have a lightsource on your NMM for everything but the bracelets. I love the SENMM effect on the bracelets, but the rest of the gold seem to be a bit lacking. The necklace, near the back of her neck, should be darker than at the front, because the shadow of her hair would be cast there. The same deal with the beads under her breasts.

What would probably look cool would be a little light reflection under her breasts in the blue bikini. You've done it with the scabbard, so it would tie it in a bit.

And the last is more a suggestion: reflect the hilt of the sword from her ultra-reflective bracelets. They look good now, but that added touch, I think, will make it a little more impressive.

Oh, and this is really nitpicky. Really really nitpicky, but you've darklined everything, which makes the outline on the freehand seem too soft in comparison to the rest of the model.

I love it!!!! Very nice mini. Brown skin is very hard to do and you did a great job. My only real critique at this point is that your focus point is on the boobs...and although there is NOTHING wrong with that....If you lighten the face a bit or brighten the face a bit, it would do loads for the mini. Thats the real trick now though isn't it as she is dark skinned. I think you can figure it out though. Remember that sometimes to "brighten" something, you have to make things darker in that area. Anyways, you are quickly becoming a master!!!! Keep on rockin!!!

...and paintin!!