Reviving dry paint

TKD

Hi folks.

I just returned from a long stay overseas, and I've started to paint minis again. My paints did not all survive the intervening years; most of them did, but one critical one died. I'm hoping to rescue it. The other dead colors (and the dead inks, bleh) aren't very important. I can substitute for them easily.

But my Reaper Colors "Troll Flesh" has gone bad. It has fully separated into a tough, thick, barely-maleable blob of semi-solid green, plus water. I need it to finish off the last of my orc minis.

I've searched the forums on this and the suggests seem to be to add water or add extender. I don't have extender, and buying some Reaper extender is exactly equal to the cost of buying a new jar of "Troll Flesh" paint. So that's out!

Adding water seems reasonable, but it's already got some in the jar, and no amount of shaking or stirring (if you can call shoving the semi-solid mass around) seems to make it mix up. When I try to mix it, the mixer gets wet from the water, but the green pigment blob doesn't stain it at all. It seems more like hard clay that unmixed paint.

This is actually my second jar of Troll Flesh - the first one I got turned into unusuable goop about halfway through...so I'm not surprised this one died as well. Any suggestions? I really don't want to buy yet another jar of this one color. But none of the other greens I have seem to match it just right, and I've been using it straight-up for all of my orcs.

Any help you can provide would be most helpful!

Peter

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pigment should still be viable if you can actually break it up.

I would think your best bet s to take the end of a dentists pick or something similar (flat object that can fit into the pot) and smash up the disc of solidified paint until you can begin mixing it once again... another idea... although one that kills said appliance and would probably be unfeasible... would be to use a food processor or spice grinder... however I am not sure how well you could wash the paint out afterward so its kind of a last resort type thing.

You could improvise a beater out of that and some straight rod.

Badger makes a hobby mixer for this purpose:

http://wondertrail.com/hobbies-collectible...ger/p_5380.html

I used one for years until I switched to dropper bottles. They work really well for bottles - just don't forget to turn it off before you pull out the spinner. Ask me how I know... ::(:

Take care,

Laszlo

http://hot-lead.org

I don't understand. If you can still get the color the worst case scenario is a new bottle of paint for $3. If not, you could try mixing an equivalent yourself, or trying some extender as already suggested. I have had luck with that on pots where paint has gummed the threads and GW paints.

If you've gone years and only lost one bottle, you are beating the odds.

If you've gone years and only lost one bottle, you are beating the odds.

I've lost one bottle of one color I care about. I lost over a dozen paints and inks all together. Sadly, all $3+ per Reapers and GWs. I'm trying to revive this bottle because I'm not that interested in buying a $3 bottle of paint + shipping (no one near me carries Reaper paints anymore) so I can paint just a few last orc minis. Call me cheap, but I've bought two bottles of this one color and I've never gotten the full amount out of it. I'm not looking forward to buying a third one. If I could find a $0.33 bottle of Apple Barrel Colors with that same green color I'd buy that.

So that's why. I'll try the mashing around the stuff in the jar and report back on the results. That bad pain mixer looks good, but I don't have that many bad paints I need to bring back to life. And Lazlo, when I re-started painting about 10 years ago your website was a fantastic resource for me. Thanks! I'm glad to see it's still up and running.

I'm not looking forward to buying a third one. If I could find a $0.33 bottle of Apple Barrel Colors with that same green color I'd buy that.

Ask and ye shall receive...

Joe Kutz on the Reaper boards made a nifty little conversion utility you can find here:

http://colors.silicon-dragons.com/

He actually made physical paint chips for all the paint lines he lists, made high-quality scans, and created a cross-reference database of all the colors, including craft paints. You can fool around with the settings, but the best match for the old Reaper Pro Paint "Trollflesh" seems to be Plaid Folkart "Green Umber" #471.

post-2409-1232273688_thumb.jpg

Double-check on your screen, but it seems closest on my laptop LCD.

And Lazlo, when I re-started painting about 10 years ago your website was a fantastic resource for me. Thanks! I'm glad to see it's still up and running.

You're welcome! Glad to have been of help, and good to hear you're back in the hobby again! :poke:

Take care,

Laszlo

http://hot-lead.org

Oh, nice! Next time I'm by a craft store I'll pick up some Folk Art Green Umber.

In the meantime, I found I had a half-empty bottle of Plaid's extender. So I added a few drops to the Troll Flesh bottle, plus a few drops of water, chopped up semi-solid mass as best I could, and got to shaking. I literally carried it around all day, shaking the container while I walked, shopped, etc.

After hours and hours of shaking, it finally returned, mostly, to a useable form. There are still some blobs of pigment in it, but the liquid portion is fine.

Thanks for the color equivalency link, Lazlo, and thanks to everyone for the advice. I wouldn't have put that much shaking time in it if I hadn't known it was worth trying.