Fire, steam, smoke, etc.

I was wondering, is there any way to make things like this in bases? Fire, steam, smoke, maybe acid or magic? Basically abnormal basing, not rocks or sand or architecture but the weird stuff like that. Does anyone have any ideas or links to tutorials for these things?

Specifically I'd like to know how to do the steam/smoke/gas and possibly fire. I have pretty much no idea on any of these 'intangible' things but I've not been doing this very long so I hoped someone with more experience would be able to come up with something (or hopefully already has)

For fire I was thinking maybe something similar to the gel stuff people use for water? If I could get it to set up in a way that resembles it, and maybe colour it with food colouring? I suppose hot glue could work for that as well, but the colour would be harder to add probably. Do you guys think that'd work? I've never used the water stuff, I don't know how thick it is or if you can colour it, though it seems like you should be able to..

For steam and smoke the best I could come up with is tearing bits off a cotton ball or something and ... I don't know, using hair spray to make it solid? That would be good for a thick smoke and I could probably paint it too, but I'm still open to better suggestions.

And of course for all of these I could probably sculpt something but I've never done that either so I'm leaning towards a more 'arts and craftsy' solution.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For smoke, I'd take a look at dryer lint rather than shredded cotton balls. I like both the color* and texture better. And hairspray works pretty well, as long as you don't much handle the stuff.

* You do need to time your lint collection appropriately. If you've just run a load of red, your result might be suboptimal.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it works- won't have to spend time trying and failing haha.. I'll try the lint, most of my clothing is neutral toned so it's easy enough to get greys or blacks, but can you paint it? I was thinking it'd be cool to have some noxious gas type stuff, maybe greenish or red or something. and for steam or a tiny bit of smoke on a regular mini's base, it'd need to be a TINY wispy bit of lint or cotton, do you think that'd work?

I suppose you could try to paint lint, but I wouldn't expect much good to come from that. I've seen it done for smoke and fire markers for airplane miniatures games, but the paint was discernably clumped where it was used.

That said, you might be able to get better results if you were to use an airbrush to apply the paint. The thinner paint and lack of brush pressure would help quite a bit.

I'll second the airbrush suggestion - When I was on the USS Intrepid a long time ago, I asked one of the museum people what they used for smoke and fire for their dioramas, and he wasn't able to confirm anything, but thought it was most likely airbrushed...

Alternatively, although I'll state right now for the record that it probably wouldn't work, would be to try adding some sort of color (food coloring?) to a bottle of non-aerosol hairspray and misting some on a piece of lint to try it out... I think the drops from the spray bottle would be too large to color the fuzz rather than clump it together, but you might be able to do flames by getting a piece of lint, spraying it until it's clumped and sticky, and then using your fingers to twist it into individual wisps of flame.... <shrugs> maybe...