Sign in to follow this  
vejlin

Happy Darwin Day!!!

Happy Darwin's 200th b-day.

I can't really decide how to celebrate though. Guess I should go reproduce or something.

Yet, only 4 in 10 American sbelieve in evolution. Frustrates the heck out of me as a scientist.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,491345,00.html

Of course, the same could be said about the belief in global warming.......

Rather than percentage of Americans, look at the percentage of citizens from all wealthy nations who believe in evolution. That'll cheer you up. At least it cheers me up. ::D:

I think you should spend this day getting just one non-scientist to understand that we say 'theory' because in nautural science, scientifically proving something to the point were we can claim it to be 'the TRUTH' is more often than not impossible. It doesn't make the theory any less correct!

At the risk of this devolving into something for the beekeepers:

Spend some time trying to find out why a theory that has been researched for over a century can still have no verified positive evidence other than belief by those who support it, and still be treated as the only truly valid theory.

That's a better definition of a religion than a scientific theory.

The last time I was in taking science classes at the university, they still taught that theories had to be supported by evidence, and were only valid so long as they were supported by all the evidence obtained.

If contradictory evidence was found, the theory had to be corrected to match the relevant facts.

If no evidence was found, the theory was supposed to be acknowledged as unproven, and an open scientific evaluation should be continued to find other theories to explain things.

Religion can be based on faith over fact. Science is not supposed to be treated the same way.

Um, Gimp, if you're talking about the Theory of Evolution, not only have transitional fossils been discovered at an increasing rate, but scientists are constantly finding that a lot of the predictions the ToE made are coming true, over and over again. The current theory diverges quite a bit from the original postulate from Darwin, but the crux of the matter is still the same.

If you're saying the fossil record, radioactive isotope dating of all types (including Carbon), observed speciation, and the fact DNA sequencing more and more is validating and refining the theory doesn't qualify as verified positive evidence, I'd be curious as to what you'd consider verifiable evidence.

A lot of the "famous" opponents of evolution tend to make it seem it's not a widely accepted theory in the scientific community, and that there's no actual evidence for it, when the truth is really quite the opposite ::D:.

Edited to put the "famous" in there ::D:.

In answer to Kim's question. The answer of what one should do to celebrate- is to reproduce, unless you're dumb, then please don't. But based on hours of internet chatroom conversation I don't think Kim falls into this category. :P

At the risk of this devolving into something for the beekeepers:

Spend some time trying to find out why a theory that has been researched for over a century can still have no verified positive evidence other than belief by those who support it, and still be treated as the only truly valid theory.

That's a better definition of a religion than a scientific theory.

The last time I was in taking science classes at the university, they still taught that theories had to be supported by evidence, and were only valid so long as they were supported by all the evidence obtained.

If contradictory evidence was found, the theory had to be corrected to match the relevant facts.

If no evidence was found, the theory was supposed to be acknowledged as unproven, and an open scientific evaluation should be continued to find other theories to explain things.

Religion can be based on faith over fact. Science is not supposed to be treated the same way.

Actually as far as evidence goes the theory of evolution has more than most theories. Not really sure what you are talking about with "no verified positive evidence". I'm having a hard time thinking of a theory with more evidence.

Also I don't mind if this is sent to beekeepers. It's a discussion worth having.

Edited by vejlin