ReaperCon Painting Contest

Vaitalla

• Reaper User

Well, you know that starting a whole new painting competition tradition just wasn't enough for us this year. We needed to do something more, something snarky, something destined to be chock-full of comic relief! So welcome, one and all, to the brand-new, super-shiny, you-know-you-want-to REAPERCON GRUDGE MATCH CHALLENGE!!

We all know "that person"...the one that nit-picks your paintjobs. Sometimes they think they're better than you...sometimes they might be...sometimes, you just KNOW you could totally kick their butt!! If only there were a painting contest you could get them to enter to settle this once and for all...to make them sorry for all the times they said “Your paint job looks good except for...”, “I don't think I would have used those colors”, “Your blends could have been much cleaner” or the ever popular "I have some acetone in the car if you need it". Do you suspect that they look down upon you because they feel that they are better? Do you want to have a chance for the world (ok, just Reapercon attendees) to say you are a better painter than your “friend(s)”? Then this is the contest for you! Prove to them that you are a god among painters and that they should bow to your greatness! Are you ready for a GRUDGE MATCH???

How do you enter? Well, you pick somebody to challenge, or you accept someone else's challenge! You can only participate in one Grudge Match per year, so make sure you really want to issue or accept that challenge! Then, your so-called "friend" (beat-down peon, soon enough!) and you figure out which miniature you're both going to paint--the person who accepts the challenge chooses the mini! Special stipulations (some interesting suggestions for these from some of our Reaper employees follow this post) need to be agreed upon in advance, because once you both get to ReaperCon with your models you'll be signing a form setting those special rules in stone when you submit your entries!

Once your entries are in, they're put up front in the Asylum display case next to a ballot box! Over the course of ReaperCon Saturday, your fellow Con attendees will decide WHOSE PAINT-FU IS THE STRONGEST!! And then, during the Awards Ceremony on Saturday evening, the Reaper world will find out...whose mini will reign supreme, and who will be cast into the fires of Mount D--ummm, who will live on in shame, swearing vengeance?!

The rules follow...please ask questions if you have any...who are you itching to challenge??? Feel free to "call them out" in this thread!! Monty-Pythonesque smack-talk encouraged!

RULES

1.All normal painting contest rules apply. Your entries will be considered by the judges as usual for possible medals or trophies.

2.A challenge can consist of any number of “friends”.

3.Each Individual may participate in only one (1) Grudge Match.

4.Club challenges are allowed (a club challenge does count as your one Grudge Match).

5.The “friend(s)” must accept the challenge in order to have a Grudge Match.

6.The “friend(s)” will choose the miniature that will be painted. The miniature will be painted as is unless conversions are agreed upon in the special stipulations.

7.All entries must be submitted by 6:00 pm on the Friday of Reapercon. Judging will take place from 12:00 to 5:00pm on Saturday. All con attendees will be given the opportunity to vote for the winners of each challenge.

8.To keep this fair, all submissions must remain anonymous. No campaigning for votes.

9.Special stipulations are any terms agreed upon by all parties involved (ie. Loser(s) must bow to the winner when they present their medal to them, loser must tell everyone that the winner is a god among painters for the rest of the con, etc.).

10.You must paint your own mini.

11.The loser will present the winner with his award and must be prepared to fulfill all special stipulations.

Questions? Comments? Fire away!!

--Anne ::D:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

Following, some Special Stipulations suggested by our crew. I am SURE y'all can come up with stuff that's even more sadistic--don't disappoint me!

1. Speed paint your Grudge Match during a specified time period at the convention.

2. Loser must recite a haiku or short poem regarding the epic skill of the winner.

3. Loser must treat the winner to the tasty lunch or adult beverage of their choice!

4. Competitors must each modify their opponent's miniature using a specified number of parts from the creature creator pack!

5. Competitors must attempt to paint their miniatures in the style of an agreed-upon famous artist or tradition (art nouveau, pointillism, impressionist, etc.).

6. Competitors must paint their miniature in a single paint scheme or style, such as monochromatic, NMM, ink washes, or drybrushing!

7. Loser must do a funny dance after presenting the award.

8. Competitors must deliberately paint their miniature in an attempt to make it as ugly as possible, but not sloppy (every mini deserves a Bad Color Day!).

--Anne ::D:

This sounds like it may get interesting.

I would suggest that one possible variant would be for the artists to invert the shading and highlighting; shade down to "white", and higlight up to "black"...that sorta thing.

Another might be to do a monochromatic mini, with the two colors of the opponent's choice.

Anne,

What about this one...

In the spirit of speed paint, have a set number of paint bottles each painter can use....

And from the set of Reaper Master, each competitor gets to pick the other's paints...

You know..10 bottle limit, and you're opponent chooses which bottles you can use.

Anne,

What about this one...

In the spirit of speed paint, have a set number of paint bottles each painter can use....

And from the set of Reaper Master, each competitor gets to pick the other's paints...

You know..10 bottle limit, and you're opponent chooses which bottles you can use.

Do you really want me picking out your paint colors?

The year I did that for the speed paint at Reaper Con, everyone hated me.

Do you really want me picking out your paint colors?

The year I did that for the speed paint at Reaper Con, everyone hated me.

Oh..no...I'm not going to participate...I'm simply doing my part to make everyone else's life miserable.. ::D:

Besides, if it were down to you and I in a competition---I'd just end up embarrassed. ::P:

LLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUuuuunnnnchbox,

I shall smite you in the face with my soft velvety white glove covered in cheap rhinestones and throw down my challenge of an onsite grudge match with you to be carried out at the Con:

A.) 4 colors total.. you choose 2 colors and I choose 2 colors.

2.) Reaper Bryan to choose the mini.

and third.) As I am sure neither of us want to spend the entire day doing a bloody challenge, I submit a 2 hour time limit.

Shall you take pick up my now bloodied rhinestones and accept my challenge?

(any others that care to jump in on same said challenge are welcome, but it doesnt add any colors to the selection).

LLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUuuuunnnnchbox,

I shall smite you in the face with my soft velvety white glove covered in cheap rhinestones and throw down my challenge of an onsite grudge match with you to be carried out at the Con:

A.) 4 colors total.. you choose 2 colors and I choose 2 colors.

2.) Reaper Bryan to choose the mini.

and third.) As I am sure neither of us want to spend the entire day doing a bloody challenge, I submit a 2 hour time limit.

Shall you take pick up my now bloodied rhinestones and accept my challenge?

(any others that care to jump in on same said challenge are welcome, but it doesnt add any colors to the selection).

Hmmm...caught me sleeping.

To your points:

1.) Are we using the same 4 colors betwixt us?

B.) OK

Numero tres.) A 2 hour time limit??? It takes me 2 hours to prep a mini...hell, I spend 2 hours on a face!?!?! TWO HOURS IS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO SATURATE MY BLOOD WITH RUM-GOODNESS!!!

OK, I'm in.

PS: Bryan...pick the squirrel-familiar!