Sign in to follow this  
Gimp

FedEx Rant

I felt like ranting, without bothering my wife this morning.

I was excited, I made a Reaper order, and got a delivery email from FedEx noting it was scheduled to be delivered Friday.

Since I had a painting demo today, I thought it was perfect timing; get the new figures Friday, and have the day to prep them for the demo today. Lots more cool figures to put on display is a very good thing in a mall store.

I checked my email last night, and had a confirmation email from FedEx stating the package was delivered to my front door while I was sitting in my living room waiting for it. No sound of delivery trucks. No ringing of the doorbell. No package received.

FedEx apparently delivered my miniatures to the wrong house.

I called last night, and was told they'd check on it, and have an answer this morning. I called this morning when told to, and nothing has happened yet.

I've sent an email inquiry through their site, and have only gotten an automated response.

This is not the way I'd hoped for the day to progress.

At least when FedEx was delivering temperature sensitive medicines for my son, they never screwed up.

Yuck...I don't usually deal with FedEx, but UPS does this to me all the time...of course, it's my fault, since I live in an apartment building :rolleyes: , but it's still pretty annoying. It's why I alsways ask for USPS delivery with tracking. Not that it helps if the pkg isn't brought to MY door.

Hope they get there eventually!

Which FedEx?

FedEx Express (which does the usual overnight shipping, aka the old FedEx) is generally very good.

FedEx Ground and FedEx Home are generally terrible. Express requires a signiature, but the default for Ground and Home is no signature (I believe they charge extra for signature required packages). They do the "ring the bell, drop the box and run" (or don't even do that much and just claim no one was home).

I sometimes wonder how many courier/delivery type services rely SOLELY on Google maps to get where they are going.

My house is on a street that forms a loop. The northern part of the loop between the two north-to-south main streets is called Mayflower Street, and is the street I live on. The southern part of the loop is called Mayflower Circle.. YET if you look on the Google map, it seems that the name of the street switches from Street to Circle several times rather arbitrarily, and the house-numbering according to the "land view" is completely incorrect, at least for my house, whose number according to the site actually belongs to a box six houses away..and my address is wrongly stated as the Circle.

And up until then, I actually wondered why it was that UPS actually had to send me a LETTER via USPS letting me know I had to get my package down at the UPS hub in Canton because my address "did not exist".

'Twas FedEx Ground, though they've never failed us before. I think we either have a new driver for the area, or simply a replacement for that day.

A happy ending; just as I was getting ready to leave for my painting demo, the man down the street they left it for brought it by. They delivered to the right house number on the wrong street. He noticed it when he was out working in his front yard (they normally use their side door).

Fortunately, we live in a pretty good neighborhood, and people tend to help when deliveries go wrong.

It worked out well, as some people came through the demo that were curious about what it takes to prep a miniature, while I had miniatures there to prep.

Good ending to a bad day! I usually order all my mini's too, but this last weekend we went to our NSLFGS, and I ended up spending $80 on mre mini's!!! Just like a kid in a candy store, Hobby Town had me in awe, thier usual great selection of Dark Heaven and warlords had me drooling, thumbing for an hour and a half. My wife was so supportive she bought me two more that she liked!!! Ah the bliss!!!

I'm glad that resolved successfully for you! I have a similar problem in my neighborhood with a parallel street having the same street numbers.

Hope your painting a prepping went well!

Talk to people that have to find addresses for deliveries, late night service calls, etc. Having the numbers on your home, and/or mailbox goes a long way to help them. 'Sounds like your street poses problems like many of the roadways in New Jersey. The same strip of road can change name every couple of miles or so. I don't miss my old job.

I remember my days doing delivery work for a courier company. I don't miss it, either.

That actually added to my frustration. My neighborhood isn't a bad place for deliveries, and works well on Mapquest. Our house is right on a corner and labeled, and the driver simply went to the wrong corner.

The Post Office makes occasional mistakes, and they normally look like sorting errors instead of straight delivery errors. Even with that, we see maybe two or three Post Office mistakes in a year, and we've never had a package mistake.

The demo went great, and as I noted earlier, having fresh figures to work on was a bonus. I may try to bring some for every demo.

Sounds like you had a driver who wasn't in familiar territory. I do a lot of FedEx shipping and deliveries from my home, and 9 times out of 10, when there is a problem like that, it's either a new driver, or a fill-in driver for one of my regulars.

I'm glad that resolved successfully for you! I have a similar problem in my neighborhood with a parallel street having the same street numbers.

In my neighborhood, my street parallel's itself for about a block because it's on a hill side. What really screws things up is that the other street ends at address 695, and when you come over the connecting street between them, the addresses seem to resume at 726. Many people don't realize that the two streets have the same name, and that you have to backtrack about a block to pick up the "missing" house numbers. This wouldn't be so bad, but the connecting street between them has the some street numbers as the "missing" addresses, so many people assume it's the same street.

A rough diagram:

--------+-----

..........|

....-----+------------------------------

My last miniature order (some couple months ago.....sigh) was by USPS & it was from miniaturegiant.com & it was a no show. Now being MG.com I was kinda worried about it, as I've never had a late order from them & when they say it out, it's out (pretty much can count the days before my order gets here). I was like what? Thinking well maybe it just caught up in mail this one time. Then a couple more days go bye & I'm like hmmm, then a week. I didn't notice that MG sent me a USPS tracking # so I entered that & the USPS website said it had been delievered here.

I called the local PO & sure enough there it was. The woman on the phone said the driver had left a orange card & I said I didn't get anything & I'd be up the next day to get it. Turns out the guy was a bit of problem. (He was a temp for our regular driver. Regular driver knows I order allot through the mail so he knows how to handle things, ha ha)

Overall, really not a problem with any delivery services for me. Of course shipments from the East Coast take forever, epically if something is coming from Georgia or Florida.

I get my neigbors mail delivered to me all of the time. Bruce lives at 23 Fern, and I'm at 23 Edgewood. The thing is his driveway and mailbox actually face out on Edgewood. So far it just seems to be mail. No packages have gone awry thus far (that I know about at least).

Enjoy your pewtery goodness, Gimp.