Larodin, Cleric

JimL

This is Larodin, Dark Elf Cleric, only not painted as a dark elf. In studying the pictures it seems I forgot to paint the ears, oops, have to go back and fix that. I made the base using a Reaper 1 inch base with cork and pumice stone. Thank you to everyone that posts tutorials on the site. In this case Stern's base tutorial helped get this first attempt at basing finished. Someday I'm going to get better at painting eyes, just need more practice. I assumed that the light was coming from directly overhead, that's why the cloak on the back looks a little dark on the bottom, left, corner. Comments and suggestions welcome.

post-5011-1235949423_thumb.jpgpost-5011-1235949510_thumb.jpg

post-5011-1235949577_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to shabby man and the base is pretty neat . Looks like you did pretty good shading the metals too. I would maybe try and hit some more of the highlights if you'd care to, like the tops of the cords holding her shirt together, and maybe the edges of her shouder guards just so they stand out a little bit.

Thanks for the ideas.

Demonelf3 - the reason why it didn't get drow skin tones was that I had taken it out of the blister and it has been sitting on my desk, with all the others. Why is it easier to buy than paint? Once I finished it, I went through the blisters and found the name.

Rocky - Any suggestions on how to lighten up metallic paint for those highlights? The brightest I have is RMS Polished Silver.

JL- Okay man you're improving nicely here. I'm diggin' the piece overall. Still some issues with brush control on the details, but this will come with practice. Is the shield shining due to actual light or is that your doing? Hard to tell... Just a nitpick, the red bags or bottles on the belt really detract from an otherwise nicely muted color pallet. (IMO) Almost looks like she's grown a pair on her belt... LOL!

Base work looks pretty good too! This is your first basing attempt? Impressive, most impressive...

Paint on!

S wiff a K

To be honest I'm not really the best at painting metalics or nmm. I normally use varying layer of black mixed with silver and white mised with silver to lighten and darken the color. I might suggest going to cmon, click the article link and type metalics for the keysearch word. There may also be a tutorial on here somewhere that could explain how to do It way better than I could.

JL- Okay man you're improving nicely here. I'm diggin' the piece overall. Still some issues with brush control on the details, but this will come with practice. Is the shield shining due to actual light or is that your doing? Hard to tell... Just a nitpick, the red bags or bottles on the belt really detract from an otherwise nicely muted color pallet. (IMO) Almost looks like she's grown a pair on her belt... LOL!

Base work looks pretty good too! This is your first basing attempt? Impressive, most impressive...

Paint on!

S wiff a K

Thanks Stern, The shield is a reflection from the flash, I need to work on a lightbox to eliminate that. I used three different RMS metallics but when they dry they seem to blend together and lose their differentiation. I will probably start moving to NMM for better results. Thanks for the comments.

Hey Jim, here's my take on metals. Not to hate on Reaper, as I use almost exclusively their products, but I've found GW's metals to be superior. If you get a chance pick up a bottle of GW Boltgun Metal and some Mithral Silver. Compared to the RMS... well they both have advantages... GW is more reflective and shiny, and really that's why I use them, because they are more realistic. However, the RMS go on smoother with less effort, and can also look good if done right. It's all a matter of preference, but if you want shiny, go GW (JUST METALLICS, RMS has awesome normal paints). One thing to remember with all metallic paints, GW in particular, is to thin them more than you would the average basecoat, like 4:1 water:paint, and apply them with very little paint on the brush, in a uniform direction. One last thing... *pant*.... When you shade and highlight anything, in this case metallics, drag your brush from midtone to highlight, or in the case of shading, midtone to shadow. That's really all you need to get started painting great, shiny metals. For more, see automaton's CMON tut, my personal source of info and a great read. Happy painting!

*is out of breath*

Well I'll be the black sheep on the red bags, I like the contrast with the darkness of the rest of the figure, besides "Inkies" get friskie with demons (If you read Salvatore anyway) Being demure isn't exactly a part of their culture! :devil:

I like that line of thinking. Speaking of Salvatore, did anyone write better battle scenarios than that guy? With the exception of Tolkien I guess.

I love the base - terrific. It looks very realistic.

The paint job is not bad at all. You could bring up some of your highlights a little more. The placement of highlights in the hair is fantastic, but think about bringing the highest highlights all the way up to white. Try to confine your highlights to smaller areas, too, or add another layer of lighter color or white to emphasize the brightest points.

The red bags aren't bad in themselves, and I actually really like how you've painted them, but they do stand out. Rather than dull them down, I would add more red to a few other key places in the mini to incorporate it more into the overall palette. Belt, shirt clasps, gloves, that sort of thing.

Nice work. Keep at it!