They want to promote me at work!

This is the 2nd year I have been working as an aide in the middle school where I am at. And let me say I love what I do, while the pay is not the best I can always get extra cash by sponsoring clubs (I do 3) and working events. However this year they have an opening for a Social Studies teacher for next year. Great news I am qualified and ready to go. However my freind (whom got me the job where I am at now, he works as a computer aide and teaches 3 classes part time) is being given the position. This is great, and while he might have more expereince in a classroom I know the subject matter better. But that is ok, like I said I hink he will do a solid job.

Now here in lies the rub, they want to give me my Freind's job in the mean time (we will have 6 positons open up in 2011 in the 6th grade). What it means for me is I will actully get to teach 3 classes (one of which is a History course) and work as a computer tech. The thing is, what I know about computers can fit on the head of a pin. I want this postion, I want the bump in pay, but I know I will do a horrible job. All the while my freind is in my corner telling our Principal that I can do the job, he thinks I can, but to be honest I just do not have the mind for computers.

So I do not know what to do, shoot my self in the foot or go out in a blaze of Glory?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be honest, but take the job if they still offer it to you. I know in the past I've worked with several people whom I've felt were qualified for jobs they didnt' think they were ready for. Very few of them failed at it.

It seems your friend has faith in you - if he's being straightforward with that faith in you, then you can probably do the job if you put forth the effort to do so. Your mistakes will be forgiven IF you're straight up in the beginning and they still give you the job.

If you're honest, and they don't give you the job, they'll remember your honesty, and that will score highly for you getting another position for which you are qualified.

true to what is said above, plus since you can navigate your way to internet sites such as this one, you can certainly teach others how to do it. some peaple don't know how to turn computers on yet even use the net...

give the job a shot, if you get it, good luck :rolleyes:

For what it's worth---I've never been really "qualified" for any job/promotion I've ever taken.

However, I've used tenacity (and a somewhat reasonable level of intelligence) to "qualify" myself as soon as humanly possible.

Point is, don't be afraid to take the risk simply because you don't know the subject matter as well as you think you should---just jump in and start swimmin'.

Can you teach well?

I've found that if someone is good at instruction, then they are most of the way there. You can always improve your knowledge in the subject matter, no matter how little or how much you already know. You just have to prep your lessons more thoroughly. The important thing to remember is if you are asked a question you don't know, don't try to B.S. your way through it. Tell them "I'm not sure, let me get back to you" and then find out and get back to them. If you spout off and are found out, then you have just lost all credibility.

I say go for it.

Everyone is talking crap. Take the job and devote yourself to figuring it out.

Amen to that! You're a smart guy! As Ray Bradbury said, "you have to jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down!" Don't lie, but be confident in your ability to learn the computer stuff! It's not that difficult! And besides, you have a wealth of knowledge at your disposal on the Reaper Boards, let alone the rest of the internet!

Don't sell yourself short! Step up and give it your best shot!