03364 Isabeau LaRoche, paladin

dks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek,

Love the color scheme, especially the subtle red in the leather and the color of the cloak. Could you tell me what colors went into the white/linen of the cloak? When I've tried white cloth it tends to look either too 'papery' white or ends up as more of a cream color.

Best version I've seen of her to date!

Excellent color choices, wicked cool NMM, rigtheous base work, and the freehand on that shield is truly masterwork level... Go ahead a quit your day job, you could prolly make a living doing this...

No wait, don't quit your day job as you're on Reaper staff right? :poke:

Derek, what are we talking here overall time investment on your part , from blister to sealer?

Again, thanks for posting this one.

I'm gonna go melt my Isabeau down and make a necklace out of her...

SK, playin' golf tomorrow...

This is a gorgeous piece--I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing I could paint at this level, and your helpful description of your freehand process is something I'll definitely be referencing in the future.

Great to read about your concept for this one, and you've definitely translated it well. One of the things that keeps me in awe is how the colors on your minis always tie in so nicely together; I'd love to hear you talk about your process for developing a figure's "palette" sometime.

Beautifully done Derek. Wonderful colours choices and perfectly executed effects. I especially like that you gave her dark hair instead of the done to death Blonde hair. And I woul dnot say that the hatching on the cloak is anything but right. Very well done Sir.

Thanks for the further compliments and interest.

The figure's cloak is now a palimpsest -- new paint over the old:

post-2358-1237253377_thumb.jpg

You can still see hints of the texture, but the clunkiness just bugged me too much at last. If you like the first version better... well, at least there's good documentation of it! :;):

Phil's guess is close, for my total time: 1 hour of prep/priming + 1 hour of attaching to the base and sculpting rocks + 7-8 hours over three sessions of painting = call it 10 hours total as first presented. Add half-an-hour to redo the cloak.

Colors: I started with two decisions -- very dark brown hair, and a strong white-on-black design for her shield -- so then I just felt out the rest: desaturated colors throughout, and an overall warm but earthy/dirty palette, making the armor bronze and brass instead of steel and silver. Brown Liner was my "black" for everything, and I reserved Pure White for places where light would reflect off a shiny surface (like the eyes, sword blade, and gems). A "white" object was really Creamy Ivory or Linen White, as in the highlights on the tabard and the shield freehand. The base color for the tabard was a mix of Aged Bone and Yellowed Bone, and it went up to Creamy Ivory and a touch of Linen White. The cooler shadows (Aged Bone and Bone Shadow, not Driftwood Brown or Stained Ivory) keep it from looking too yellow. The cloak is on the warm side of neutral: Bone Shadow base, with some Coldstone Grey and Brown Liner mixed into the shadows, and Aged Bone and Driftwood Brown and Yellowed Bone added for highlights.

I would like to see other versions of this figure, especially ones with brighter & bolder colors! ::):

Derek

Thank you very much for the color details! The descriptions of your whites and choices for warm vs. cool tones are especially interesting. Desaturated and muted palettes really appeal to me, and I appreciate the extra insight!