Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Ogre flesh color

So I have a Ogre in the que & I really don't want to paint him traditional fleshy colors, so I was thinking yellow or orange. The thing thou I don't want him to look "cartoony" or even close to everyone's favorite green ogre either.

Any tips or ideas?

RM

Two ideas:

1) Rastl's right, the humanoid triad would work. It's a great brown-green color. Throw in some regular flesh colors for the highlights and you're all set.

2) Ochre colors are another good choice. Plus, I've been playing around with different colored glazes, and I'm pretty happy with purple and green glazes. The golden flesh triad seems to work pretty well for me as a base. The purple and greens make a nice not-quite-healthy look. Too much, though, and you'll end up with undead-looking skin (not necessarily a bad thing if your ogre has a nasty case of gangrene).

The ochre keeps the skin in the earth-tone region, and will likely help prevent that cartoonish look. Glazes should help give it an organic feel.

Good luck!

-Doug

Consider the Oiled Leather Triad. It comes out a rich golden orange when done, with deep shadows. It was too orange for my tastes on my Gnoll's skirt or the Chimera's wings, but it would make good Ogre flesh tone. That triad consists of Ruddy Leather, Oiled Leather, and Burnt Orange.

TS

I'll second Talespinner's suggestion on the oiled leather. Nice deep orange, but not an unnatural (well, maybe natural in the tropics) kind of Hanna-Barbera orange.

thanks for the ideas guys. I'll have to go through the colors & see what I like.

RM

We've used ochres for most of ours, though lately I have really liked using the Golden Skintones with a little Palomino Gold added to take it more yellow. ::): Everyone else has put forth great suggestions, too! ::D:

--Anne

If you a looking to do the GW ogre skin tone it is a 50/50 mix of Codex Gray and Rotting Flesh. More gray makes it darker while more of the Rotting flesh makes it lighter. Fun combo.

If you don't mind mixing, a yellow ochre and a dark purple will end up 'fleshy' for a mid-tone, with yellowish at the top end, and purplish at the bottom end. I'd avoid using a pure gray if possible...it will instantly suck the life out of a skin tone. (sorry Psyber :poke:)

yah no grey for me. I paint enough 'somber' colors as it is. ha ha

I'll have to try that mixture. sounds interesting

I recall long long time ago when my semi-local gamestore was downtown Boise & was still in existance. The clerk on duty was painting a orange cloak & he shaded it with purple. It was a interesting effect. Of course I was 13 or so & just barely painting, so the wow factor was like Wahoooo ha ha.

RM

For my ogres, I used a yellowish tone and then washed/glazed with one of the olive greens. Gave a greenish hue overall, especially in the shadows, but the highlights were still the yellowish tone. I don't have that painting notebook with me, but if you like the idea, I can look it up when I get home.

Ron

If you don't mind mixing, a yellow ochre and a dark purple will end up 'fleshy' for a mid-tone, with yellowish at the top end, and purplish at the bottom end. I'd avoid using a pure gray if possible...it will instantly suck the life out of a skin tone. (sorry Psyber :poke:)

Nothing to be some about, but you are right. I was just letting him know how to do the GW ogre shin tone. I'm not sold on how great it is. I've used the combo more on zombies, which looks really good. But they are dead, so it looks right.

Yeah...you can always jump back in, and glaze in a little color. If it were mine, I would mix the ochre and purple, and like vutpakdi said, glaze in a bit of green near the recesses. Green is a good shade for many skin tones...blue is very deep, and offset by yellow light; thus green. Green is also a good transition color for "purple" tones. Post up pics!