Battlestar Galactica Final Episode

gwangi32

So I watched the series and purchased the discs and waited to see if they would "jump the shark". I liked the last episode. It actually was an ending that tied up most of the loose ends. I had small problems. There were supernatural elements to Starbuck and the haunting of Baltar and Caprica Six that were not clear to me. But overall I found this to be a very different and interesting Science Fiction Saga. In the end they didn't alienate me and I will look for BSG spin offs and the prequel.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best sci-fi series ever.

Ever.

I don't own any episodes of any Star Trek series, or Stargate, or Firefly or anything else, but I will own every episode of this series. I too kept waiting for the series to lose its way, but they never lost their way, and the last episode was a thing of beauty.

I thought the show lost it's way a few episodes after they left New Caprica. I kept waiting for it to return to form, but the last season and a halfg never gelled for me, and the ending came off really dorky.

*shrug*

First off, best SciFi series ever! That being said, the final episode was great but ultimately left me somewhat unsatisfied. I say that because the 'truth' I don't think was ever truly known. I really enjoy a story that doesn't spell it all out, leaves a person thinking and has no need to fully explain every little detail just so some lazy idiot can get their rocks off without any conscious or intelligent thought. The main problem I had was Starbuck just up and dissappearing. I understand the supernatural element, but it just didn't ultimately fit in my opinion. Tell me that on 'Earth' that she died on had a resurrection hub buried somewhere or was in orbit, and because her father, the other "Boxed" Cylon was her father which gave her the ability to resurrect and there was a Viper somewhere out there or Cylons there that built her one....something, because now her death and comeback don't really fit at all. God leaves a corpse of his angel and built her a new Viper to go back to the fleet?! Dunno, really bothers me. That, and in Adama's interview in the flashback he was asked if he was a Cylon...why? Was it to set an insane president for his honesty in the parameters, or was there knowledge even then that Cylons may have taken human form?

My only other question was when Baltar the Spirit says, "You know he hates being called that." when Six refers to God...who hates that? God? Who is God? I think Anders took the fleet and found the Cylons and is planning the next Cylon invasion...Here comes the next incarnation! ::P: Kidding. Although, Caprica really doesn't seem like something all that interesting they may need another BSGesque series.

One last thought, did Hera die young? Was that the body of the girl found? Hmmm...I wonder what "The Plan" will have to say about any of these issues, if it does at all.

All in all, I am sad it is over. I loved this series from the very beginning, I will miss it...it truly was the best ever! :down:

Growing up a fan of the original BSG I had followed talks of the BSG for several years from it's "continuation" story by Richard Hatch, and several movie talks and when this finally came I was in awe at the original miniseries event. WOW! I watched every episode, and my whole family got into it. I thought the ending was fantastic, great closure, and the cautionary tale of technology rang through really well, great series, probably my favorite series I have ever seen!

I haven't had a chance to see the series since the beginning of season 3 :down: with the exception of 1 or 2 episodes here and there. I did manage to see Daybreak part 1, but alas have not seen part 2 ::(::down: I did however read a recap of the episode on another site and now I definitely must see the finale! BSG is one of the best science fiction series ever made and I'm going to miss it. Can't wait for the complete boxed set!!!

I had no problem dealing with the supernatural elements...they were a part of the original series as well. They clearly stated there was something out there bigger than Humans and Cylons...Let's call it "God" even if he doesn't like it...and it was used very blatantly in the old and new series. The final scenes of the "haunting angels" was pretty clear that there is something that oversees it all and hopes to nudge us on a better path. There are many aspects to what can be done to nudge, and Starbuck being one of those aspects was fine by me.

Now to watch it again!

One last thought, did Hera die young? Was that the body of the girl found?

No, Hera is "Mitochondrial Eve," the female from whom we all descend.

Thus, she would have lived long enough to have babies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_eve

I thought the last episode was decent. A little shaky on some points, and a little weak in some areas. I think they fell into the typical TV trap of having a lot to wrap up, and I think you could tell that the writers did not always have an end in mind when they were writing earlier seasons. Thus, some stuff that should have ended up more meaningful turned into relative window-dressing (such as Athena and Laura chasing Hera around - it had an end, but not one as meaningful and deep as the rest of the series was, or as you expected it to be, having watched those images over and over again).

I loved the shock of Starbuck disappearing. If I wanted to, I could have a bigger problem with it, being that there was a lot of science involved in her latest incarnation which would make one think of alternatives other than the supernatural. I can live with it, though, since there is enough backstory there to sustain that mystery. If I have a problem with it, it is simply that I think Starbuck and Apollo deserved a little more meaningful goodbye. The shock was great, and I would never expect a happily-ever-after ending, but I do think we, as viewers invested in their relationship, needed a little something more meaningful before the sudden disappearance. I mean, those of us who were seven years old when the original series was on, have a lifetime of the phrase "Starbuck and Apollo" behind us, whether as best buddies or on-again-off-again lovers.

I am not yet convinced that BSG was the greatest sci-fi series ever (there would be a lot of elements to consider for that, and BSG was lacking in a few), but it's on the list. I definitely think it was the best dramatic show on television during its run. Like a lot of the best of its sort of entertainment, the sci-fi part was really secondary. It was a drama first.

I got bored with it when the number of love triangles out numbered the number of blaster shots fired in any given episode. I knew I'd made the right decision a few months later when some gamer women I know were making fun of the show for being a soap opera.

I loved the last episode. I wouldn't call BSG my favourite science fiction show ever: that still goes to firefly, as BSG had just too many twisted/forgotten plotlines and slow episodes in mid-season 2 and 3, but it was good. The finale is far and away the best finale I have ever seen to any television show ever. It got a little 'return of the king'-ish with the long, long epilogue, but it worked out... I wanted to know what happened to everyone, and there was a good deal of happiness in my house when it turned out that [spoiler alert] a certain shot-up raptor pilot made it out okay.

My only serious beef was the very last scene. It should not have existed. It detracted very, very heavily from the rest of the episode. The only valuable part it had was the "he hates being called that" line, which was a good way to wipe out any accusations I had of the show being too religious (ie. establishing that "god" was not God, just a powerful being). That line should have been included in the past, and the fitting-in of Galactica to our own reality should have been left to the imagination. The last scene of the show was anvilicious and trite. Plus, the biology of Hera being Mitochondrial Eve is very, very dubious.

Oh well. The episode rocked to an extreme degree, so much that I now really miss BSG, while before it was just a show I enjoyed once in a while.

I thought it was pretty good. A decent wrap up for the series. Of course, I would have done things a little differently, but overall, I think they did a good job.

You can tell that even though they may have had an ending in mind, they were writing each season as they went along - way too many things had to be wrapped up this last season. I think the series could benefit on DVD if they were to do a "directors cut" of the entire series - move a few things around throughout the overall series - like the scene where Apollo meets Starbuck for the first time - no reason large portions of that scene couldn't be squeezed into Season 1 or 2 and still "fit".

The one thing I think this does prove is that it's better for a TV show to decide it's own fate and write it's own ending while it's in it's prime, rather than letting the network force one on them. Sure, it's great having a series on for 8, 10, 12 years, but I'd rather have 3-4 well written shows with proper endings in that same time frame than one show that starts unravelling, loosing it's grove, and getting thrown to the dogs by the networks.

I got bored with it when the number of love triangles out numbered the number of blaster shots fired in any given episode. I knew I'd made the right decision a few months later when some gamer women I know were making fun of the show for being a soap opera.

Same here, the series started decent (aside from some silliness and annoyances with Apollo and Starbuck) and started hitting its stride and then got pulled off into love triangle mania. It felt like a FOX reality show after a while and lost me, although the wife stuck with it a bit longer but even she lost interest. Heard how it ended, the whole going native thing and the supernatural stuff and glad I got out when I did. Last good thing I saw from BSG was Razor, loved Admiral Cain's character.