Favorite/Best science fiction series: What's yours?

Broode

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still waiting for a remake of V!!!

It's going to happen sooner rather then later.

I think even the networks might be smart enough to realize it wouldn't work. Sure, we (sci-fi buffs) have fond memories of lizard aliens with lasers fighting Michael Ironsides with a Mac-10, but what made the mini-series such a huge hit was NOT knowing what it was about. Do you guys remember the weeks leading up to it? All of the ads and billboards and posters? And not a person had a clue that the aliens wanted to eat all of us.

Once the surprise had passed, there wasn't a huge audience left for the show. Which is why the series was so short lived, in spite of the huge number of people who watched the mini-series. So if there's no surprise and everyone already knows the ending, why remake it? And if they do, they'll have to come up with some stupid twist that will change everything so much it wouldn't be recognizable as V anyways.

I think even the networks might be smart enough to realize it wouldn't work. Sure, we (sci-fi buffs) have fond memories of lizard aliens with lasers fighting Michael Ironsides with a Mac-10, but what made the mini-series such a huge hit was NOT knowing what it was about. Do you guys remember the weeks leading up to it? All of the ads and billboards and posters? And not a person had a clue that the aliens wanted to eat all of us.

Once the surprise had passed, there wasn't a huge audience left for the show. Which is why the series was so short lived, in spite of the huge number of people who watched the mini-series. So if there's no surprise and everyone already knows the ending, why remake it? And if they do, they'll have to come up with some stupid twist that will change everything so much it wouldn't be recognizable as V anyways.

FYI, from Wikipedia (edited to make sense):

- October 2008, Warner Bros announced they were producing a complete remake of V. The remake, written by The 4400 creator Scott Peters, will be shown on the ABC network.ABC approved production of the remake on January 26, 2009.

look there is only one answer here, Firefly, everyone who has not put that as their only answer is clearly insane :P

And Jaynestown from Firefly is probably one of the best Sci-Fi episodes ever written. Very original - I don't recall any other series with that premise (granted, there are a WHOLE lot of series / episodes I have ever seen).

Firefly...meh. civil war cowboys in space. simply couldn't take the series seriously. sorry. Serenity was a good big screen entertainment piece...but I got more out of Earth 2.

more anime: Vexille and Appleseed Ex Machina are both pretty good...and Kaena isn't half bad either (talking, flying worms and sap monsters...) but the one that made me nearly wet myself laughing was VanDread.

Very true about the V being so unnerving because it WAS different and was very engaging to see what it was, what would happen. I would like to see more originality come from the tube. While I did like several epesodes of everything from STTNG, DS9, Earth 2, SG!, etc, etc, there was a lot that was a re-hash of another story....somenes long lost brother/mother/twin? Someone frozen from the past/sent from the future? Struggle against orders vs moral rightousness? All can be good storylines, but where is the new angle that makes you really think?

Absolute top choice: Firefly. Head and shoulders above any competition.

In distant second: New BSG and Cowboy Bebop.

For the rest that I can think of: I couldn't get into Farscape, though my fiancee tells me I should watch the last season. Star Trek (mainly TNG) had some good ones but I've never been sold on it. Dollhouse shows some potential to actually work if Fox gets their grubby fingers out of it. I despised Evangelion and regret the time I spent watching it. I was starting to like Sarah Connor Chronicles, and then they decided they weren't enough like Heroes and started making everything slow and never resolving plotlines. We'll see if they ever recover.

In no particular order because the little voices in my head couldn't come to an agreement:

BSG (both)

MST3K

Cowboy Bebop (final episode has to be one of the best endings to a series period)

Firefly

Farscape (how could sci/fi choose to keep yet another SG series over it)

G-Force

Ultraman

B5

The Prisoner (ok maybe not quite sci/fi but still an awesome series)

ST original and STNG

Robotech (who didn't want their own Skull-1 or Cyclone)

series from my youth that will stay there:

Buck Rodgers

Land of the Lost

Space 1999

V

Star Blazers

Was surprised to see Dr. Who not getting more love...

Live Action:

New Battlestar Galactica.

Recently got back into B5. I never finished the series, re-watching from beginning now.

Firefly

Farscape

Space: Above and Beyond.

I enjoyed Earth 2 and the 1st season of Seaquest DSV

DS9

I also enjoyed Start Trek Enterprise...as long as I ignored it as being Star Trek, it was a good independent show.

Cartoons:

Starship Troopers Roughneck Chronicles

Exo-Squad