Painting Contest Categories

Lance

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a list somewhere of what the categories are for the painting contests?

On 2 December 2008, there was a long posting on the Reaper General Board that provided details of the Reapercon Painting contest. It included the categories and the criteria for judging in each category. Anne said she wanted to give at least six months notice of the new rules and I have seen no updates, so I assume that posting is still accurate. {Edit: I see another message was posted with a link to the rules}

I don't know about an official Chronoscope category being announced then but since ReaperCon 08 there have been some major changes in how the competition is being handled. As stated in the rules on the main page the competition is going to use the open judging format which means the only three real categories; Painter (basically just your stock figure) Open (going all out with or without conversions, major base work, and scratch figures etc) and Ordnance

So within that context medals (gold, silver, bronze) and certificates of merit (this is what I'm expecting to get) will be awarded along with potential special awards (I believe Ed's Favorite was mentioned at one point). Sophie trophies will only be awarded to Reaper Miniatures as stated here:

"After all medals are allocated, the top three Reaper models in each category are chosen, and these are awarded Sophie Trophies. This is the only area where the old spirit of competition remains, as an incentive to paint Reaper models for our show. The Sophie Trophy thus becomes a rare and even more prestigious award, an incentive to wow us with a great Reaper paint job or conversion!"

So I guess we really need Anne to step in and say something but if she doesn't it will be placed in the correct category at the show.

Edited by Heisler

Er, not exactly.

1. Any number of entries are permitted per painter per category, but only one entry in each category will be judged.

You can enter however many models you want, but only one per category will be judged (whichever one the judges think is the best). So, if you weren't following the rules posted back in December, and were trying to do one model per category from last year, then yeah, you don't have to do so many projects. You could either do a lot to see what clicks with the judges, or spend more time on fewer models to improve them, up to you.

The whole idea of the "contest" is not to paint "for the contest". The idea is that you show up with a collection of your recent work. Whether that be 1 mini or 10. Or a troop of army minis. Or a large bust. Or even a garage kit or vintage aurora plastic model. The idea is that for the past year, you should have been painting whatever it is you enjoy painting. Then, you bring that work to ReaperCon and see where you stand in the judge's opinions. If you only get a Bronze medal, you know you need to kick it up a notch if you want silver next year, and the classes & teachers are there for you to learn how to kick it up that notch.

But the bottom line is that the intention is not for you to set aside all the things you enjoy painting & doing, and paint up special "contest minis". Just do what it is you like doing, and show up with that. ^_^

If your first thought is "who would ever enter a troop or a large diorama, as that would take a ton more time to 'win' a medal", you are looking at it wrong. If what you do is paint troops or large dioramas, then that is what you should show up with.