Painting Contest Categories

Lance

Yep, the thing you're not allowed to do is bring all your stuff and set up camp at a table; some years instructors didn't even have room up there due to all the campers.

But camping the artist respawn is so much fun. :devil:::P: I spent a lot of time upstairs in '08. I plan to do so again. Stinking class tickets selling out again. :angry: Oh Well.

There will be more class tickets available for all the classes. Not all the tickets were put up for sale online. Tickets will be available at the door.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

/start rant

YES YOU ARE ALLOWED TO COME UPSTAIRS DURING REAPERCON.

Every dang year I tell people this!! Every year we post it on the forums!! Dang it, come upstairs and talk to people, that is WHY THEY ARE THERE!!

/end rant

Seriously, if we wanted to avoid you we would retreat into the office section. :;): We are all friendly and part of your ticket price includes the right to go upstairs and talk to people, get tips and ask for a quick demo. And, yes, dark chocolate is always appreciated as a tribute! ::D:

--Anne ::):

Anne, we need to make a sign and post it at the bottom of the stairs. Maybe we can even get Torin to make a banner that says as much.

Anne, we need to make a sign and post it at the bottom of the stairs. Maybe we can even get Torin to make a banner that says as much.

Yes, yes you should. It took me two days before I ventured upstairs and figured out what it was up there.

Heck, we need a banner all over the Reaper site and forums just to let people know there are classes still left; obviously the info on the front page, the post in the News part of the forum, and all of the repeated times people have mentioned it in this forum aren't enough.

oh I know there are spots available; but I don't always get the classes I want at the door. Specifically I want to take a class with Anne, and "How not to suck".

• Super Administrators

You're probably in luck. I overheard Anne chatting about raising the ceiling on some of her classes. John can probably be talked into something similar. But just in case: bring bacon.

I hear the joker who teaches HNTS wanders around the Con a lot and is easily bribe-able with coffee or candy if you can't get a ticket at the door for that class. ::D:

Oh, and I wasn't singling you out Psyber, just seems like a lot of people are missing it. And, off of Kit's post, I've bumped HNTS's class sizes almost every year, but like to reserve the right to keep it "normal" sized, so that's usually something I hold off on doing.

• Reaper User

We are considering raising class size by one from five to six people. That will give each class three tickets instead of two which will be available at the registration desk on the day of the class. This hopefully should allow more people to get the classes they want while they are at the Con. ::):

Also...PLEASE DO NOT BE GREEDY. Though I understand that you want to get your money's worth out of traveling to the Con, sucking up tons of classes just leaves less for everyone else. ::(: Also, it will fill your brain up and burn you out! I said it once, I will say it again...try to schedule gaps between your classes where you can sit down in an open painting area and go over what you just learned. That is what will truly help you to get your money's worth. :;):

--Anne ::D:

We are considering raising class size by one from five to six people. That will give each class three tickets instead of two which will be available at the registration desk on the day of the class. This hopefully should allow more people to get the classes they want while they are at the Con. ::):

Also...PLEASE DO NOT BE GREEDY. Though I understand that you want to get your money's worth out of traveling to the Con, sucking up tons of classes just leaves less for everyone else. ::(: Also, it will fill your brain up and burn you out! I said it once, I will say it again...try to schedule gaps between your classes where you can sit down in an open painting area and go over what you just learned. That is what will truly help you to get your money's worth. :;):

Anne, If Reaper staff feels that way then why not limit the number of tickets that each person could buy? No matter what you do, *someone* will always complain. I'm sorry but your post came off as trying to guilt trip folks who signed up for classes that they wanted. Telling people who wanted to take multiple classes that they are greedy is insulting. If you and Reaper staff feels that way, then by all means offer a refund for people who have "too many" classes. I for one would be willing to take a refund for all of my classes and on my ticket I purchased.

Maya~

• Reaper User

Anne, If Reaper staff feels that way then why not limit the number of tickets that each person could buy? No matter what you do, *someone* will always complain. I'm sorry but your post came off as trying to guilt trip folks who signed up for classes that they wanted. Telling people who wanted to take multiple classes that they are greedy is insulting. If you and Reaper staff feels that way, then by all means offer a refund for people who have "too many" classes. I for one would be willing to take a refund for all of my classes and on my ticket I purchased.

Maya~

Dear me! I'm very sorry that my post caused you to think I was trying to guilt trip folks. In truth, Reaper trusts its fans to be adult and considerate of their fellow con-goers, but I have noticed a trend in the past toward panicked ticket purchases which are later regretted. Perhaps "greedy" was the wrong word; certainly it seems to have offended someone, which I certainly did not intend. ::):

Let me re-phrase, then: It would be a wonderful thing if people who show up on day X of the convention, who missed the online ticket sales because they do not normally watch our website, would have some class options left. ::): Please exercise consideration for your fellow con-goers and wisdom in your ticket purchases so that everyone can have the best possible ReaperCon experience. Thanks all!! ::D:

--Anne

Since all the tickets online have vanished, I meant that people who show up for day X of the con should try not to buy everything up for themselves and for friends...I would like to see some people who are attending the convention actually.

When there's the 'I'm going to ReaperCon for the first time and I'd like some advice' threads going I ALWAYS suggest limiting the number of classes. Anne is spot-on with the need to take time for what you've learned to sink in and to practice it at the paint and take area.

Even if you've been waiting to go for years I lean towards the 'figure out one or two things you want to improve' method of choosing classes. I overloaded on classes my first time there and learned that lesson the hard way. I learned a little bit of a lot of stuff and my brain imploded at some point during the convention.

There's one class I missed out on during the first round and I'm really hoping to get a ticket at the door. That will make 3 classes for me - 1 per day. Leaving me plenty of time to play games, practice, socialize, participate, shop and do all the other things that make the convention fun.

Maya~

Dear me! I'm very sorry that my post caused you to think I was trying to guilt trip folks. In truth, Reaper trusts its fans to be adult and considerate of their fellow con-goers, but I have noticed a trend in the past toward panicked ticket purchases which are later regretted. Perhaps "greedy" was the wrong word; certainly it seems to have offended someone, which I certainly did not intend. ::):

Let me re-phrase, then: It would be a wonderful thing if people who show up on day X of the convention, who missed the online ticket sales because they do not normally watch our website, would have some class options left. ::): Please exercise consideration for your fellow con-goers and wisdom in your ticket purchases so that everyone can have the best possible ReaperCon experience. Thanks all!! ::D:

--Anne

Since all the tickets online have vanished, I meant that people who show up for day X of the con should try not to buy everything up for themselves and for friends...I would like to see some people who are attending the convention actually.

People had plenty of warning as to what classes were going up, you'll never get away from someone buying a ticket at some point that they regret later. It's one of those things. However, I didn't remotely read that into what you said in your post.

Since classes are sold at the door the day of the class, people will have plenty of class options left. As I believe another staff post has it, there will be at least 2 tickets on sale for every class at the door so that's a moot point. There's no way everyone going could attend a class at all, there are simply not enough seats. As for people buying class tickets to take with family and friends, I don't see the problem with it. (For the record I have only classes for myself this year and didn't get the online or door ticket for the class I reallllly wanted last year so I can understand frustration at not getting a wanted class.) But I think doing something people enjoy with family and friends and will go should be something encouraged. Now if they buy and don't go, that would be sad but if they do go to the classes then great for them and I don't see why there would be a problem with that. I agree that everyone should have the best possible ReaperCon experience but if not enough class seats are such a big problem why not cut back on the variety of classes and hold more sessions of a smaller variety of classes next year?

I'm confused about your comment "I would like to see some people who are attending the convention actually." People taking classes or who only want to do classes wouldn't be "attending" ReaperCon? Not everyone games so does that mean those that don't shouldn't come? Even if you took every available class slot there were still be time to wander around and do other things if you want to or not want to as the case may be.

Maya~

I should probably not say anything but I am tending to feel the same as Valloa.

For me a con experiance is a once a year thing. My once a year con is reapercon. I don't have the ability to frequent cons. There are no regional paint classes in local cons unless I teach them, and there are few in my area that I can learn in person from.

I bought classes this year, more than three. I go to reapercon mainly for the classes.

I don't get the opportunity, not being local, to go to paint group with Anne. And I relish the oppertunity to rub shoulders and see how respected members in the painting community work and paint. I learn by doing and watching in person. Shouldn't it be my prerogative, since I am paying to come to the con to take what I want?

Although no offense was intended, I was taken aback. It seems there is an unwritten rule about how many classes to take.

• Super Administrators

Yep. There's a definite limit to how many classes you can take: 14. That's how many blocks we scheduled classes through. I think. Unless I miscounted. You know what I mean, though.

Perhaps you have one of those nifty magical stopwatches Hermione used in Book 3? Then you can take way more than 14.

Some of the other advice about leaving time for practice is good too -- I would need to pace myself. Others, not so much. But everyone's different. I'm pretty sure what Anne was expressing was, as one of the Con organizers, that she hopes everyone will get a chance to take a class they're looking forward to.

If you want to sign up for a class for every single slot, nobody's going to stop you. You're our guests and we're going to try to help you all out as well as we can. We want everyone who comes to visit to have a good time. Anne was simply expressing her optimistic hope that everyone who comes to Denton will leave satisfied.

We'll work out the details once you're here. ::):

kit