Scene-a-rama

This probably isn't new, but it's new to me:

Shopping for other stuff, I discovered that my local Michaels was carrying "Scene-a-rama" kits.

They're little diorama kits for kids to use for school projects.

So, if you're just starting out with water effects, basing, a little diorama, these kits might be useful. Plus, you can get it at a local craft store, if you don't have a FLGS.

HTH

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This probably isn't new, but it's new to me:

Shopping for other stuff, I discovered that my local Michaels was carrying "Scene-a-rama" kits.

They're little diorama kits for kids to use for school projects.

So, if you're just starting out with water effects, basing, a little diorama, these kits might be useful. Plus, you can get it at a local craft store, if you don't have a FLGS.

HTH

Hey, those are really cool. How come they didn't have those when I was making dioramas in elementary? Kids these days have all the fun.

Oh, right. I paint little toys at 27 years old. I guess I get to have all the fun too. Nice find.

And if you check your Sunday newspaper you can get the 40% off coupon that Michael's prints and use it to get those kits at a really good discount. I think they might even offer one for you to print out from their website.

Yeah, they started getting them in locally around the beginning of the school year. Most of their elements are in the 1/72 scale, I think. So the trees are too small and that sort of thing.

It was cool to see Michael's finally get some Woodland Scenics stuff, since Michael's is much closer than the hobby shops I normally have to hit to get that stuff. But I still don't buy any of it there, due to scale and limited selection.

But at least it's a foot in the door.

Not sure about the trees, rocks, etc., but I used the water effects for my latest display base. I picked the Scene-a-rama stuff instead of woodland scenics simply because of cost. Not only was it cheaper, but the scene-a-rama kit had more materials and, most importantly, instructions! Having never used any water effects before, I couldn't tell you how it compares to the regular woodland scenics or other products, but I got it to work just fine for my needs. (I used it for a small stream running by a unit of elven wardancers.)

Well, the Scene-a-Rama stuff IS from Woodland Scenics. It's just cheaper so schoolkids can afford it for projects. But in the end it's the exact same materials you get from Woodland Scenics.

As for Woodland Scenics, I use their stuff all the time.

As previouslly mentioned, S-a-R is mostly out of scale for our uses. But Woodland Scenics has plenty of stuff in-scale.

Here is where I chime in with a slight negative to scene o rama. We used one (the arctic one) for my son's school project lately.

The stuff in the box, was not enough to make the picture on the box, which is obviously why we had chosen it. So, I had to go and buy more stuff to complete the project. Had we decided to just make do and make something smaller or different then sure it would have worked out fine.