Tips for adding armour to animal minis..

I have the Dire Bear reaper mini and I want to give it chainmail barding, and I have no idea how. I assume sculpting? Can anyone point me at tips/info on the best way to do this?

I also have the velociraptor mini(s) and need to make it into a Shaman, I figure I'll add some native american themed clothing to it but I, again, have no idea how to do that. I have no experience sculpting but I am open to suggestions.... Is this sort of thing possible?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Dire Bear reaper mini and I want to give it chainmail barding, and I have no idea how. I assume sculpting? Can anyone point me at tips/info on the best way to do this?

I also have the velociraptor mini(s) and need to make it into a Shaman, I figure I'll add some native american themed clothing to it but I, again, have no idea how to do that. I have no experience sculpting but I am open to suggestions.... Is this sort of thing possible?

I know an easy way to make... passable chain mail is to do epoxy sculpting putty and use either a sculpting tools cutting edge or a toothpick and puncture small holes into a thin sheet of the putty. If you space the holes regularly and punch the putty almost all the way through (leave the putty still intact) it should look like passable chain mail when undercoated and painted in metallic. I would try it out before I put it on my miniature though in case the look isn't refined enough for what your after.

That sounds perfect for the bear! I have a mini to test it on too, some shirtless guy that came with a learn to paint kit :P I'll try that and hopefully I'll have an armoured bear to post when it's done! Thanks!!