W&n brush cleaner - best way to soak brushes?

TKD

Okay, I picked up some Windsor and Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer. I figure that between that and my Master's soap I should be able to get my oldest brushes completely free of paint.

However, I need to soak the brushes for 24 hours if I want to remove dried-in acrylics. Fine and dandy. How do I do that without bending the tips or soaking the entire brush in a flat dish?

My one though at this point is to soak them while keeping their plastic slip-covers on the tips, but they fit so snugly they trap air and make getting the tip wet a bit problematic.

Any suggestions from the W&N brush cleaner fans, or anyone else?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you could use the foam that comes with minis, poke a hole with the handle end of the brush in the foam, then put the foam atop a jar that has the cleaner in it..sorta suspends the brushs without the tips touching the bottem of the jar.  Sounds like it'd work, though I admit I've never tried it.

The clothespin is a good idea. What I ended up doing was pouring about 1/3 of the W&N into an old Anchovy bottle. Then I took a piece of foam from one of my Chainmail minis, and poked my 5 brushes I wanted to clean through it backwards. I lined them up and suspended them in the cleaner. It said 24 hours...I hope 36 is not a problem because I won't have time to take them out until tomorrow morning.

Okay, I picked up some Windsor and Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer. I figure that between that and my Master's soap I should be able to get my oldest brushes completely free of paint.

However, I need to soak the brushes for 24 hours if I want to remove dried-in acrylics. Fine and dandy. How do I do that without bending the tips or soaking the entire brush in a flat dish?

My one though at this point is to soak them while keeping their plastic slip-covers on the tips, but they fit so snugly they trap air and make getting the tip wet a bit problematic.

Any suggestions from the W&N brush cleaner fans, or anyone else?

One of these days, soon, I am going to make myself one of these. (though I'll most likely just end up buying it :;): )brushcleaner.jpg

I did the foam-and-brushes trick. They sat 36 hours, and came out fine. It seemed to do the trick, but some of the paint was still stuck on, even after I washed the brushes in my Master's soap. Oh well, it did get some paint off of all of them, which is very nice, and little or none of the W&N evaporated. So, I poured it back in the jar for next time. Heh.

The combo of the W&N liquid and my Master's should stand me in good stead. I've been using the same brushes for 4 years now, so every little bit of cleaning helps.

SD soaked a brush he had accidentally left laying in some primer (don't worry, it was from a cheap, $3 set) in a little bit of Simple Green. The brush had been literally caked with paint. I despaired. A 10 minute soak in just enough Simple Green to cover the bristles, though, and the brush was as good as new.