Texas Secession and Reapercon

Steven Page

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that whole Civil War thingie we had awhile back setteled the whole secession issue?

Not if you're the governor of Texas and want to score some cheap points with your conservative base in preparation for the Republican Primary against a somewhat moderate Republican senator. :rolleyes:

Not that he is right about Texas having any more right to secede than any other state anyway.

Ron

Not if you're the governor of Texas and want to score some cheap points with your conservative base in preparation for the Republican Primary against a somewhat moderate Republican senator. :rolleyes:

Not that he is right about Texas having any more right to secede than any other state anyway.

Ron

Yep. It appears he's definitely gearing up to paint Kay Bailey Hutchison as the "Washington insider".

Speaking of secession and the Civil War - IIRC, wasn't Texas the only one of the sourthern states to legally secede, as they were the only one that had that built into the agreement that led to them becoming a state in the first place? I seem to recall that was one of the conditions for the Republic of Texas joining the US in the first place.

Which brings me to my follow up question - did that right to secede actually survive past the end of the Civil War?

Bring Guns and Passports,

When traveling to Tejas or Mexico del Norte as people who live directly north call it. They are a whole nother country,but on the plus side they still have Dairy Queen's. Locals to Denton last year I could find no good local (not chain) resturants in your fair town please give me some ideas.

Bring Guns and Passports,

When traveling to Tejas or Mexico del Norte as people who live directly north call it. They are a whole nother country,but on the plus side they still have Dairy Queen's. Locals to Denton last year I could find no good local (not chain) resturants in your fair town please give me some ideas.

I had a wonderful dinner at the GreenHouse Restaurant. Very good food, reasonably priced.

Ron

Technically the treaty is still valid, but Texas is tied to the rest of the US in so many other ways it would be unfeasible to actually withdraw from the union.

IIRC the treaty was voided at the end of the civil war. During reconstruction all secessionist states had to rewrite their constitutions (Texas' having to be redone several times :devil: ). One condition on Texas' ratification was the repudiation of the original treaty. It's just one of those ideas that stuck in the public memory/imagination and never went away.

But I digress :blush:

Speaking of food, if you want a great local restaurant in Denton there's a burger place on the square on Hickory st. called the Denton County Independent Hamburger Company

113 W Hickory St

Denton, TX 76201

(940) 383-1022

They're fantastic, tho you may want to take a local guide as the streets go all funny there with the one way traffic. :lol:

DRG - be cautious about talking 2nd amendment rights. It's a very polarized discussion.

I generally get lazy about food and just eat at the con or run down the road to fast food central. If I remember correctly there's a decent enough restaurant next to the BW so I'm set.