Jahenna

Valloa

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work, and really appreciated the sheer tutorial! I've been meaning to try the technique, now I'm going to give it a try. If I had to pick something in particular to brag on, it'd be the left (character left) leg - really solid work on the folds and the extremely subtle blending on the inner shin.

I passed you a vote. As I said in the WIP thread, it's an incredibly striking figure. Really captures the vampishness. Wonderful work. It looks like a photo from a 60's movie to me, more than a mini. I love it.

It feels crude of me to offer any advice, given the difference in our skill levels, but I'm trying to add one point of improvement to my posts as an exercise (it's too easy to rave, and not think beyond that). I think, despite being masterfully painted, there is a small degree of lacking visual contrast between her and the surroundings. I can't think where you'd include too much, given that she looks exactly as she's supposed to, and that is very stark. It'd be really cool if you were to include her as part of a diorama, though. As the removable centerpiece to a graveyard setting, she'd go from being a bit monochrome to standing out as a point of colour. Just a thought though. I love it.

Incredible stuff - I must try this at some point when I have a figure that it would suit.
I'd suggest trying the sheer effect on a female mini. They tend to get a generally favourable reaction for some reason, from what I've seen... But who knows, maybe BD'll go down in the annals of history as the painter who finally made it OK for a mini-man to wear his see-thru codpiece in public again!

Hmmm, OK, that is a little bit disturbing. I hope nobody finds that 'annals' crack inappropriate...

Anyhow, that is leading nowhere good. I just wanted to mention that this mini (and particularly its WiP thread) are really making me want to try using a sheer effect ASAP, just as several others have already expressed in both threads. I am about halfway decided on trying to use it to make the wing-finger bones show through the skin on a dragon mini I'm currently working on.

Thanks for the inspiration and instruction, and certainly for posting this great-looking mini!

Kang

I passed you a vote. As I said in the WIP thread, it's an incredibly striking figure. Really captures the vampishness. Wonderful work. It looks like a photo from a 60's movie to me, more than a mini. I love it.

It feels crude of me to offer any advice, given the difference in our skill levels, but I'm trying to add one point of improvement to my posts as an exercise (it's too easy to rave, and not think beyond that). I think, despite being masterfully painted, there is a small degree of lacking visual contrast between her and the surroundings. I can't think where you'd include too much, given that she looks exactly as she's supposed to, and that is very stark. It'd be really cool if you were to include her as part of a diorama, though. As the removable centerpiece to a graveyard setting, she'd go from being a bit monochrome to standing out as a point of colour. Just a thought though. I love it.

Why would it be crude of you to offer advice? Heck I don't think that anyone has to paint better than me to have an opinion or express it! Though if you tell me I need to do more drybrushing I'd ignore the suggestion. ::P: That's a good idea about a dio with her and I agree that she'd look good in a nice dark cemetery scene.

Maya~

I just wanted to mention that this mini (and particularly its WiP thread) are really making me want to try using a sheer effect ASAP, just as several others have already expressed in both threads. I am about halfway decided on trying to use it to make the wing-finger bones show through the skin on a dragon mini I'm currently working on.

Thanks for the inspiration and instruction, and certainly for posting this great-looking mini!

Kang

Then go for it! Its not as hard as it looks and the dragon sounds like that would look cool on.

Maya~