Sign in to follow this  
JoeGKushner

Bases Too Small?

So with a lot of the new minis, I notice that the bases are so small that slight movement on the table tends to send them downward. Heck, some of them like the new black orcs don't stand at all.

Anyone else have this problem?

Some of the previews the bases are so small that the figures are tilted full back.

I can't see the point of not putting them on glued bases since... yeah, the user's going to have to do SOMETHING to get them to stand in the first place.

If the theory is that people don't want any assembly, the theory before that is people want their miniatures to stand up.

I never really thought of gluing to a game base as "assembly".

It seems Reaper is trying to make the integral bases as minimal as possible to reduce the cost of the mini, what with pewter being so expensive lately. I remember back a few years ago there were some models whose broccoli bases constituted almost a fourth of the overall weight.

Around here, we use one-inch squares of bass or balsa wood as bases.

try filing the bottom of the broccoli base. I have found that they are often very rough, not flat. A few minutes with a piece of the sandpaper or file usually makes it much more stable.

try filing the bottom of the broccoli base. I have found that they are often very rough, not flat. A few minutes with a piece of the sandpaper or file usually makes it much more stable.

And when that is the only problem, it's easy to fix.

But when the figures have these wide stances and minimum base coverage, they are way too easy to topple over.

And if saving money is the root cause, eliminate the bases entirely. If I've got to glue it to something else, I'd rather have no obstacle to remove in the first place.

Don't tell me on one hand about assembly turning people away and not make the miniature with round bases to stand.

If the cost of pewter is the issue, maybe its time to switch entirely over to P-65 metal. I recently got a figure to "experiment" with the metal, and the REaper stuff appears to be higher quality alloy than the stuff we had back in the '80s...

Personally I dislike integral bases in general since ALL my minis get based anyway.

Damon.

I've had that issue with some of the newer figures, too and it's irritating. I understand the desire to cut back on the weight of the base for economic reasons, but one of the advantages to the DHL line is the integral base. It's extremely convenient to be able to pop the mini out of the blister, do minimal clean up (because Reaper casts are always pretty clean) and go paint the thing without having to undertake a major construction project. DHL figures don't come with plastic bases, which means I have to go find one, or a washer and some putty and that's not necessarily an attractive point for many of us. I have a dozen figures from another maker that came with "bases" about 1/4" across that will probably never get finished because it is too much of a pain for me to mount them. I don't want to see Reaper in the same box.

At this point, all my minis get cut off their integral bases (even slottas), so I'm not real concerned by the "narrow base" phenomenon. Said that, I just picked up Lazarus Ashwinter and was rather surprised by the size of his base. He wasn't falling over on my worktable, but he wouldn't have stood up very well to gameplay.

I do think Reaper should find a good balance between the large, thick broccoli of yesteryear (the early 2000 series of DHL) and the under-balanced strips some of the new figures are getting. If the smaller bases are for the purpose of reducing costs, though, I'm all for that.

I had the problem with the Hill Giant Chieftan, to answer the OP. I used a pair of pliers to bend the ankles/base angle, and now he stands up perfectly.

Most of the time that will be your solution to making a model with an integral base stand, and be able to stand up to being used in a game right out of the Reaper blister.

Interesting.

Some of the responses seem to be, "Yeah, I cut them off" to, "Yeah, these littler bases stink."

I don't mind integrated bases but there has to be something for the figure to stand on and stand UP to game play.

When the individual figures like the Black Orc Hero are hitting the $8 mark, to either not have an integrated base or not have a plastic slotta base is off mark. It can't be because of the "newbie" factor because both the black orc hero and one of his mates in the soldier set has seperate parts that need to be glued on. If going for small base because of price concerns, on those figs which already have factors that need assembly, forget the base and put a plastic base in there. Should cut down on shipping cost too.