Rpg modules for any game(played or gm'd)

Lady Tam

One of my favorite modules I gm'd was D&D B10 - Night's Dark Terror, issued in 1986. †It is a low level outdoor adventure, Basic/Expert transition for levels 2-4. †As I love Rolemaster, everything was converted to Rolemaster stats. †As D&D module, it is laid out pretty well. †

The module didn't lead you around by the nose. †It allowed the players a lot of leeway in various situations and encounters. † There is a slave ring involved with agitating goblin tribes, rescues, defending a homestead, exploring the surrounding region and finding clues that eventually lead to the remnants of a fallen civilization. †

Obviously it is no longer in print but I have seen it listed both on Ebay and on websites that buy, sell, trade gaming items. †I highly recommend it to anyone.  Trying to keep it short and not give away the story.  †

rm

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ooo, good question...

y'know, Temple of Elemental Evil might have been my favorite more because of who I was playing & what I got away with than anything else. I think it's in my "greatest role playing Moments" post. My priest (wood elf) with a bow, some greek fire, & one magic item (r. of fire resistance) was 3rd level & got separated from the main party when we got attacked from all sides in the first dungeon level of the temple. The game master ran it well & I didn't know what was happening to my comrades. I was pursued by a dozen, killed a couple & did hold person on 4 more - all of whom missed their saves (lucky break!). Ran around a hairpin turn where their wasn't any light (they were humans mostly) & spread greek fire out all over the floor. Lit it as soon as they walk into the area. Injured 3 of them, then stepped into the middle of the fire (which didn't hurt me of course) and laughed maniacally while shooting at their backs. I wouldn't have considered it a "good" act but they were _very_ evil people and heavily out numbered me. I needed all the help I could get - especially since about 8 reinforcements were just showing up.

So then I followed them up a bit, used the held people as cover & let them kill their held friends with arrows to try to destroy my cover while I killed one more with my arrows. Whoa! I've really never had another character in a more lethal scenario & come out alive - & i came out victorious! Of course, that's because my friends also won their fights & eventually came to my rescue.

Such a crazy & successful fight, I just love it.

But we never finished the module. Don't know how it would have worked out...

My favorite module to run was, without a doubt, Baltron's Beacon. Heavily modified, but ended up with 2000! (yes, that's right) storming the central tower when the PC's were trying to take it from a group of evil adventurers...

wow. 2000. it was nuts! All but 2 of the characters survived & the party was powerful enough that they were able to raise them...

While I own a lot of modules, I've only run a few of those in the beginning of my gaming career way back in the 7th grade.

I write my own adventures. So far my favorite has to be "Rose Red" but then, that one isn't finished yet either. While I've run it, it's one of those continuing projects where I wonder if it will ever be truly completed.

The best module I ever played in was Judges Guild's The Caverns of Thracia.  It has everything for both low and high level characters and you'll probably need both.  It is a complicated one to map out.  Room elevations can vary from room to room.  It has undead, beast men, minotaurs, cults, traps, you name it.

It looks like Judges Guild is back in business.  See the link from Necromancer Games from the Reaper link.  They are going to be reissuing some of the old stuff.  I hope this will be one of them.  This is a must play if you can find a copy.

rm

The 'A' series (the Slavers modules but I can't remember their names right off the top of my head) has some good memories from me.

The 'G' series Against the Giants was pretty fun too.

Then, of course, there was that one pregnant moment running through the Tomb of Horrors where the burly male fighter went into a room and emerged a woman.  I seem to recall us all laughing at the player's reaction we had to call it for the night (much to his dismay!).

I was younger then so my judgment may have been impaired but those were my favorite for the memories they resurrect.

I generally don't go for or even remember canned modules, preferring home-brewed stuff that meshes well with PC backgrounds.  My favorite, then, is probably Keep on the Borderlands (later edition, not B2), where my wife has based her campaign for the past few years.

The only other modules I really recall are AD&D's C2 ("Ghost Tower of Inverness"), a dungeon crawl with lots of bells and whistles, and Ravenloft's "When Black Roses Bloom," a Soth-in-Sithicus adventure.  Oh, yeah, I once adapted a Greyhawk adventure from Dungeon magazine, "Ghost Dance," to a Rolemaster campaign.