Clearcoat Question

I typically use a combination of Hardware Store glossy lacquer, followed by Testor's Dullcotte, to protect my minis from handling. I recently ran out of Dullcotte, though, and before I run out to the store for another can, does anyone know of some other matting agent that works as well that perhaps comes in a bigger can, or costs less? I've used GW matte varnish by itself, but never tried using it over gloss, and I don't have any of that left to experiment with, either. I have a competition mini due in a week. She's already gloss-coated, and I need to go shopping ASAP, so I can finish her up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

I finish all of my minis in VERY shiny "matte" Minwax clear polyurethane for protection; they couldn't be any shinier after that.

I used to use Testor's Dullcoat, but stopped because of the risk of yellowing. I tried several solutions (including some artist quality brush-on) but have selected Golden Varnishes Archival Varnish Mineral Spirit Acrylic Aerosol w/UVLS (Matte). It's golden product # 7741-X and can be found at a good art store such as Blick's.

At $14 a can, it actually is cheaper than Testor's, and more importantly it was developed for artist use which means it does not run the risk of yellowing.

It's about as effective as Testor's, but it does seem to dry more slowly so I give my figs 24 hours before I handle them. It's also harder to type its name :)

I use one of the Krylon spray finishes with anti-yellowing and UV protection.

I'm about 1,000 miles away from the stuff right now so I can't give you any more info.

I get mine at Hobby Lobby in the artist section. With the almost-weekly 40% off coupon, of course.

Unfortunately, with the mini due at my local gaming store next Sunday, I don't have time to wait for an online order to arrive. I know the store stocks GW, and they sometimes have Testor's. Would GW work in a pinch? Does anyone know if Michael's stocks anything useful?

I wish there was a Hobby Lobby near me. The closest one is about 2 hours away. There's also a Hobbytown USA about an hour away, but both are inconvenient directions.

Thanks for the great suggestions, though. I'll look into them, for sure!

Michaels should have both Dullcote and Krylon UV Resistant Matte (which is what I use when spraying with a rattle can).

Michaels also has Liquitex Matte Varnish which is a brush on varnish.

Both the Krylon and Liquitex can be fairly matte if you apply in very thin coats (and make sure that the previous coats are thoroughly dry before applying another coat.

Ron

As nobody else surprisingly has said it Don't use GW. i play their games and all that mostly becasue there is all of 2 stores that have games that play others and they are 20 mines away.

The reason i say not to use GW is its very picky to temp and humidity, so unless the conditions are prefect your model will be covered in this white fuzz even the employees have told me their stuffs picky so thats my 2 cents

Thanks! I'll have to stop by Michael's this week and see what they have in stock.

I have noticed GW's sensitivity, to humidity in particular. I've always used GW Skull White primer, but once my can of that runs out, I'll probably switch to something better.

I have noticed GW's sensitivity, to humidity in particular. I've always used GW Skull White primer, but once my can of that runs out, I'll probably switch to something better.

When I use a rattle can, I've always been happy with Duplicolor Sandable Primer (available in White, Gray, Rust, and Black) from your local friendly automotive supply shop. Runs $4.87 locally with tax. Not all shops will have same range of colors. Good coat, handles humidity up to about 65% well (highest that I've tested, may be able to do higher).

Ron

Thanks so much, Ron (vutpakdi). I stopped by Michael's last night and picked up an 11oz. can of Krylon Matte Finish (anti-yellowing) for $6.50. They didn't have UV-resistant, but my minis don't get out much, so I don't think that will be a problem.

The Krylon finish is a much better deal than Testor's or GW, and it worked beautifully!

Joy

When I use a rattle can, I've always been happy with Duplicolor Sandable Primer (available in White, Gray, Rust, and Black) from your local friendly automotive supply shop. Runs $4.87 locally with tax. Not all shops will have same range of colors. Good coat, handles humidity up to about 65% well (highest that I've tested, may be able to do higher).

Ron

I use the Duplicolor Sandable Primer as well. Love it.

I also use Testors Dullcote but have never heard of this "yellowing" that can happen. What causes it? How does it happen? What exactly is it? I am afraid for all my poor minis now.

Testors Dullcote is in very rare supply where I am at, so I would love to find an alternative. I usually just zap each mini with 2 coats of dullcote, but have heard good things about glosscote then dullcote of some type.

Is Krylon the next best thing for both gloss and dull?

MamaGeek, you're quite welcome! I'm glad that my suggestion was helpful.

I also use Testors Dullcote but have never heard of this "yellowing" that can happen. What causes it? How does it happen? What exactly is it? I am afraid for all my poor minis now.

That's what a number of people claim.

I've been running an experiment over the last year to test several different matte varnishes to see if they yellow. I've got 9 white primed and white painted Spectral Minions being tested. I think that I have 5 on the window sill of a SW facing window (Dullcote, Krylon UV Resist, Lascaux, Liquitex, Reaper MSP Brush On Sealer) and 4 in my mini display case (un-varnished control, Dullcote, and 2 others that I can't remember offhand).

So far, after a year, I don't see any real difference (but, to be honest, I haven't looked at them all very, very closely. I need to take a close look after ReaperCon.

I think that the Krylon UV Resistant works fairly well. The matte version is fairly matte, but it isn't as matte as the Dullcote.

That said these days, I am usually varnishing with my airbrush.

Ron

To really protect your minis from handling, a gloss coat, followed by matte varnish is really the way to go.

For my gloss coat, I just used the cheapest can of glossy lacquer they had at my local hardware store. You want protection here, not beauty, and yes, it will be VERY shiny.

Once that dries completely, say overnight, spray on a layer of matting agent (varnish, finish, it has various names) to dull it back down. The Krylon worked well for me, but I've used Testor's to good result. Krylon is cheaper, though.

I haven't tried the Liquitex varnishes, but I like their other products. I use their Heavy Body Acrylic Titanium White paint in place of white hobby paint, because it isn't chalky, and makes for a really smooth blend. It's a bit glossy, but that's ok for white, and a matting agent takes care of it, anyway.

Testor's has no anti-UV and is not archival. It's not designed to last for a long period of time, and some people have reported yellowing. Some have not, but I'm not wanting to take any chances. Best to keep them out of the sun if you want to take care.

I don't think so. I tried Krylon, but was unhappy with the amount of dull it provided. It was one of many different matte sealers I tried, but I settled on the aforementioned Golden.