Sign in to follow this  
Kang

HBO's A Game of Thrones

I am so geeked up about this series! If it gets picked up by HBO, I will subscribe just so I can watch it!

Been a bit lazy about updating this thread with news about the pilot, but FYI several more roles have been cast, including a few that have been dicussed here.

FYI, I have no special source of info that anyone else couldn't be checking; this all comes straight from GRRM's Livejournal page, linked in the OP. Check it out if you like A Song of Ice & Fire and haven't been there lately to see what's up.

One of the newer items GRRM has posted on that page also says he's got some new ideas for breaking the block that has kept the next book from getting completed for so long, so let's wish him well with that, shall we? It couldn't hurt...

Happy happy,

Kang

I am SO stoked that they cast Lena Headey (Queen Gorgo from "300") as Cersei. *happy sigh* And Jennifer Ehle (BBC's Pride and Prejudice) as Catelyn Tully.

Those two women are so full of win....

[possible spoiler alert]

The unfortunate thing about casting her -- and the actor who will play Jaime, who as a red-blooded American female I can certify that he is delIIIIIIIcious -- is that I"m going to feel incredibly dirty that I will enjoy their ... ahem.. .intimate moments. That's the kind of dirty that just doesn't wash off.

I think the major difference between directing TV shows and movies is the amount of time that you have to work with and within.

When filming a movie you have a deadline, but its not uncommon for shooting to go longer if the director decides to reshoot a scene or that he wants to spend more time working on a specific scene. On a TV show, you can only spend so many days on each episode, b/c once you fall behind schedule, you're behind schedule on every following episode too.

That was a bigger problem in the old days than it seems to be now. Nowadays, most episodes of a season are in the can before the season actually begins, particularly for cable shows. Cable shows like The Sopranos and Battlestar Galactica filmed way ahead of schedule, then sometimes let the episodes sit on a shelf before deciding what the new "season" would look like, then sometimes even withheld episodes.

You're more likely to see problems from shooting schedules with shows aimed at normal network television, where they are still filming through much of the actual season.

Or, even worse, they will do the mini season. 6 episodes. Wait 6 months. 6 episodes. Wait 4 months. 8 episodes. etc.

But hell, they can take 14 years to film this series, since GRRM still hasn't finished it.

I was hoping for someone bordering on matronly, but still smoking hawt and I think Leonidas' Queen is about perfect. She's also not afraid to get nekkid! WIN!
[possible spoiler alert]

The unfortunate thing about casting her -- and the actor who will play Jaime, who as a red-blooded American female I can certify that he is delIIIIIIIcious -- is that I"m going to feel incredibly dirty that I will enjoy their ... ahem.. .intimate moments. That's the kind of dirty that just doesn't wash off.

I hear that, although from a red-blooded Canadian male perspective. The only solution I can think of is to just go with it and try to focus on the enjoyment part, all the while muttering, "The things I do for love"... ::D:

Kang

I think Lena can and will be able to pull of Cersei. Have you ever seen her in anything but 300? In 300 she plays a strong, independent woman. In Brother's Grimm she plays a somewhat tortured woman trapper who believes in wild superstition. In Possession she plays a love torn lesbian lover who commits suicide.

She has a range.

A Game of Thrones to me always sounded like it had something to do with toilets. :lol:

But seriously, if it's going to be on HBO, you'll get lots of GoT goodness, with heaping helpings of F-bombs, sex, and violence thrown in for good measure.

Wow, I guess it's about time I updated this thing again...

None of this is news that you can't find easily enough by going to GRRM's "not a blog" LiveJournal page, but I have compiled this information from a whole slew of his posts over the past few months for the sake of convenience.

Here is a complete list of pilot episode cast members with speaking parts. Well, I can't be 100% certain I didn't miss anyone, but I have done my best (sorry for the sucky format; couldn't figure out how to make columns - if you know, tell me and I can edit this later):

From the prologue:

------------------

Will: Bronson Webb

Gared: Richard Ridings

Ser Waymar Royce: Jamie Campbell Bower

From the rest of the pilot:

-----------------------------

Eddard Stark: Sean Bean

Jon Snow: Kit Harington

Robb Stark: Richard Madden

Theon Greyjoy: Alfie Allen

Viserys Targaryen: Harry Lloyd

Daenerys Targaryen: Tamzin Merchant

Cersei Lannister: Lena Headey

Tyrion Lannister: Peter Dinklage

Jaime Lannister: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Catelyn Stark : Jennifer Ehle

Joffrey Baratheon: Jack Gleeson

Sandor Clegane "The Hound": Rory McCann

Robert Baratheon: Mark Addy

Benjen Stark: Joseph Mawle

Ser Rodrik Cassell: Ron Donachie

Arya Stark: Maisie Williams

Sansa Stark: Sophie Turner

Ser Jorah Mormont: Iain Glen

Ser Waymar Royce: Jamie Campbell Bower

Bran Stark: Isaac Hempstead-Wright

Magister Illyrio: Ian McNeice

Ros AKA Redheaded Ho: Esme Bianco

Maester Luwin: Donald Sumpter

Khal Drogo: Jason Momoa

Some great talent there. Filming has begun; from what I read at GRRM's site, at the very least I believe they have probably finished shooting the scene where Ned executes Gared for deserting the Night's Watch.

I sure hope HBO picks up the series, 'cause I can't wait to see it!

Kang

I had to go all the way back to late Nov on his Blog to find an update about the series, but it was worth it. http://grrm.livejournal.com/120382.html They evidentally shot the pilot last fall/early winter in the Middle East. Not sure why they picked that location - Jerusalem doesn't exactly match any of the locations that I remember from the books, but maybe it was just dirt cheap to film there?

Anyways, he also said that he's working on A Dance w/Dragons again and that its been moving along well (for him anyways). If released right now it'd be the 2nd largest book in the series but is still 300 pages shorter than the longest (which one escapes me right now). I'm sure he'll close that gap before he's done, but he's already talking about moving chapters of this book to the next book. :rolleyes:

They evidentally shot the pilot last fall/early winter in the Middle East. Not sure why they picked that location - Jerusalem doesn't exactly match any of the locations that I remember from the books, but maybe it was just dirt cheap to film there?

Dany and Drogo are in a desert.

Possibly, not the entire pilot was filmed there, but those parts that have to do with them. Or maybe they just used the inside of the castle he says they dressed up for some castle scenes and nothing more?

Edit: You know, what, though? They're in more of a grassland than a desert, now that I think of it. I guess I always sort of imagine it as desert-like. But that's just me.

Edited by Bruunwald