Sign in to follow this  
Kang

HBO's A Game of Thrones

Huh. I guess I'm the only one who's not excitied about this. I have been wondering for a while why these books are so popular. I mean, I normally like Martin's stuff, but I got half way thought the first book before I tossed because I found it one of the most boring books I have ever read. YMMV, I guess. :blink:

Guys, areas like Israel and Lebanon are not necessarily high desert, and have more in common with "Mediterranean" climate than the rest of the Middle East. Just because its near a desert doesn't mean it is a desert (look at Northern Tunisia, which is temperate and a former breadbasket of the Roman empire).

Damon.

I corrected myself because on reflection, Drogo and company had more in common with Mongols and the grasslands (and Steppes) they inhabit, not because I think all the Middle East has to offer is desert. If it were all desert, there'd be less fighting over it. I imagine there would still be fighting, what with all the God stuff. But less of it.

JOY! :bday:

Although I have to admit my goofy brain immediately starts coming up with silly captions for that photo.. ::D:

I really think that this series will do a LOT for the genre. LOTR was a great door opener, but I think it is pieces like GOT that will show that fantasy can be somethign to take very seriously.

In fact I woudl imagine that the series will spawn a lot more " mature " fantasy in both novel and film.

We can certainly hope so, at any rate (cheezey Gimli-tossing jokes notwithstanding). On top of that, it should give GRRM a little more motivation to finish Dance (ie. before it's time to shoot season 5...)

Seriously though, it seems like he's been making some progress on it lately - there have been numerous progress reports on his Not-a-blog over the past couple of months. More than I've seen in the past several years combined, in fact.

SQUEEEE!!!!

Indeed.

Kang

From GRRM's Not-A-Blog:

"...Catelyn on HBO's GAME OF THRONES has been recast. The new actress is Michelle Fairley, a talented and acclaimed veteran of the British and Irish stage and television..."

Just FYI for those still monitoring.

Well, it's been a good while since I updated this...

I wanted to jump up and down with glee last night when the teaser for HBO's A Game of Thrones was aired HBO Canada, just after the end of the latest episode of True Blood. It aired on the US HBO channel just before the TB season premiere a couple of weeks ago (& possibly since, not sure), but if that was also true of HBO Canada or if it has aired up here anytime before last night, then I missed it. So I'm glad I no longer have to be concerned by the lack of a link to that teaser (that I can find, anyhow) on the Canadian HBO site, or of any mention of the series at all there; seems like it'll be coming on the air here in Canada too. I figured as much; the Canadian Site for HBO never has any info about the upcoming series I want to learn more about, so I sort of expected I was worrying for nothing. Still, I'm glad to see that confirmed.

There's been some casting news also; a few new roles cast for season 1 as well as a few changes from the people who were cast for the pilot, and I've lost track of all of it since I last updated the list I'd been maintaining in an earlier post here. So this is also just to say that list is no longer accurate or complete where some characters are concerned - anyone who has more energy for looking into these things than I seem to these days is encouraged to post their own updates here! I can say that GRRM's blog recently mentioned they managed to get a top-notch makeup guy on board for the series though, who's worked on a lot of stuff we've all seen (including Star Wars, though it's not specified which episode(s), among numerous other titles) & has won some shiny awards for his work. So I guess at the very least we can be sure the Hound's facial burns will look suitably horrifying.

Kang

Hey,

GRRM recently posted HBO's offical list of cast members on his not-a-blog. I figure that makes this as good a time as any to update the list I posted earlier. I would have considered editing that list, but if typing in a new post here when running ie6 is a bad dream (blame that for any typos that slip past me), then editing an older post under ie6 is a total nightmare, so instead I've pasted the complete new list in here (with a few notes of my own & at least one spelling correction that might turn out to be just HBO bigshots deciding King Robb only needs one b in his name), and an addition that GRRM posted since the list was released:

SERIES REGULARS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon

Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy

Sean Bean as Eddard “Ned” Stark

Emilia Clarke (replaces Tamzin Merchant from pilot) as Daenerys Targaryen

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jamie Lannister

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister

Michelle Fairley (replaces Jennifer Ehle from pilot) as Catelyn Stark

Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger

Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon

Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont

Kit Harington as Jon Snow

Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister

Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark

Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen

Richard Madden as Robb Stark

Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (Hound)

Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

FEATURED CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

John Bradley as Samwell Tarly

Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel

Jerome Flynn as Bronn

Conleth Hill as Varys

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo

Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin

GUEST CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Josef Altin as Pyp

Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon

Ciaran Bermingham as Mord

Esme Bianco as Ros

Susan Brown as Septa Mordane

Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt

Antonia Christophers as Mhaegen (ie. Barra's mother)

Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn

Julian Glover (replaces Roy Dotrice who is sick) as Grand Maester Pycelle

Emun Elliott as Marillion

Lino Facioli as Robin Arryn (name is Robert AKA "Sweetrobin" in the books)

Jefferson Hall as Ser Hugh of the Vale

Derek Halligan as Alliser Thorne

Rhodri Hosking as Mycah

Margaret John as Old Nan

Finn Jones as Ser Loras Tyrell

Dermot Keaney (replaces Richard Ridings from pilot) as Gared

Francis Magee as Yoren

Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark

Brendan McCormack as Ser Vardis Egan

Ian McElhinney as Ser Barristan Selmy

Luke McEwan as Rast

Kristian Nairn as Hodor

Rob Ostlere (replaces Jamie Campbell Bower from pilot) as Ser Waymar Royce

Eugene Simon as Lancel Lannister

Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel

John Standing as Jon Arryn

Conan Stevens as Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane

Peter Vaughan as Maester Aemon Targaryen

Miltos Yeromelou as Syrio Forel

MORE RECENTLY CAST:

Natalia Tena as Osha

Roxanne McKee as Doreah

Sibel Kekilli as Shae

Amrita Acharia as Irri

Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister

Mark Stanley as Grenn

Elyes Gabel as Jhogo

Joe Dempsie as Gendry

Lalor Roddy as the Assassin, AKA "the guy with the dagger"

Simon Lowe as the Wineseller

Mark Lewis Jones as Shagga, son of Dolf

Clive Mantle as Greatjon Umber

Susie Kelly as Masha Heddle

Some great new names here, and some new names that are pretty much unheard-of too. I don't know what happened to Bronson "Will from the prologue" Webb or Ian "Magister Illyrio" McNeice either. I haven't heard about anything like Illyrio being recast or cut from season 1; not sure why he doesn't appear here. Will might just be too small a part to list here, not sure...

Since this list went up, Natalia Tena has been cast as Osha - I've added her to the list.

From GRRM's non-blog: "So far as I know, Jory will be the only one of the Stark guards in King's Landing with a speaking role. The rest of Ned's men -- Desmond, Fat Tom, Hullen, Vayon Poole -- will be there, but as extras, featured extras, and background characters."

He has also mentioned watching auditions for Ser Ilyn Payne, and that they are working on casting Shae <edit - she's cast now, see list above> and Lord Twyin <also since cast>. Personally, I am most curious to learn who will play the ever-creepy Lord Frey. In my imagination, he has almost the exact same voice as the Emperor from Return of the Jedi; I'm not sure why, but that's why I want to know who'll be playing him. Renly Baratheon will also appear in Season 1, but is not yet cast as far as has been announced. Stannis won't appear until Season 2.

Also, I read a rumour in one of the comments on GRRM's not-a-blog that they have hired a top-notch movie swordfighting coach type guy to work with Syrio, possibly with some of the knights etc. too... not sure though.

That's all for now, can't wait to learn more.

My wife looks at me like I'm an idiot everytime that teaser for AGoT comes on HBO. Maybe it's all the jumping up and down and the pointing and the Squeeeee-ing at about 15 seconds of footage showing trees and a raven and "Winter is coming... Game of Thrones... 2011".

PS. I highly recommend Green Ronin's Campaign Guide for SIFRP, even if you have no interest in RPG's or SIFRP in particular. It'll make an excellent reference to keep by your side when re-reading the series like I'm doing now. Even though it's my 3rd go through, I'm still finding the need to look up certain people and places every so often, and this campaign guide is faster and more informative than using GRRM's appendices (which are also invaluable), and the maps are bigger and show more locations also. Plus the major characters are all illustrated. Find it at finer FLGS's everywhere. The RPG itself is pretty fun too - a few months back my group ran through the free sample adventure from the QuickStart rules download that is available for free on Green Ronin's site, and everyone wants to try it out again sometime.

Kang

Keep in mind HBO's propensity to change the story (True Blood). I have read the Stackhouse books and enjoy the series, but if you're looking for a strict parallel, you might be disappointed.

Meh, I'm not too worried; as I mentioned earlier in the thread, because I watched Deadwood, Rome, the Sopranos, The Wire, etc., I'm willing to give HBO the benefit of the doubt and trust that any changes that get made aren't going to ruin this thing for me. The pilot script was leaked ages ago and when I read it, it seemed faithful enough to the books to me, despite some little tweaks here and there which are no doubt necessary in any tv adaptation.

Anyhow, keeping up with these developments gives me something to look do to while I wait for GRRM to finish writing Dance with Dragons, not to mention giving him a litte more motivation to finish it (ie. before they start shooting season 5!).

IMO True Blood is 10 times better than Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels, which to me read like they were written with teenaged girls in mind as the target audience. Not that I didn't like them - heck, when my wife started buying the books I kept reading until I was done the series so far - just that they didn't really do so much for me other than pass the time. Although since Eric Northman is my favourite character in the series (ever since he called Arlene's kids "teacup humans" in season 2), maybe I have more in common with the teenaged girls than I would like to admit... Did you realize that actor played Derek's bubblehead friend Meekus in the movie Zoolander, in which he didn't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident? I just wish they'd bring the Bubba character into the series, though it probably wouldn't be the same as in the books, where the best thing about him was how he was written so it was painfully obvious who he was supposed to be despite his real name never being used. I don't see how they'd do that on TV - those suits and shades and sideburns are just way too distinctive for that kind of subtlety...

Kang

PS. No offense intended if you really loved the Stackhouse books and aren't a teenaged girl either, Chip - to each his own and all that... And, of course, no offense intended to any teenaged girls who may read this either - a man in his late 30's just isn't supposed to find the same things entertaining that you do. Except minis. Everyone should love minis...

Mark Addy as Robert is an amazingly well done choice....for those of you not familiar with him, he is a british character actor with one of the widest ranges I have ever seen. I have seen him do tear jerking dramatic roles, to comedic drama roles (Knight's Tale) to playing a midwestern married father of 3 (Still Standing). On the TV show "Still Standing" he played a midwestern guy including the famous midwestern accent, I did not even know the guy was british until I saw him in a few other things....I really think that he will play Robert very VERY well.

Hey,

More casting and broadcast news from GRRM's not-a-blog:

Julian Glover replaces Roy Dotrice as Grand Maester Pycelle

Roxanne McKee as Doreah

Sibel Kekilli as Shae

Amrita Acharia as Irri

Game of Thrones will be seen in the UK on SKY, which has picked up HBO's entire catalog of programs. ...For anyone in the UK who might have been worried they'd never get to watch it.

The casting stuff has been edited into the full list in post #41.

Kang