Milliput at Hobby Lobby

I was shopping at Hobby Lobby today with my 40% off coupon, wondering what I might find, when I chanced upon a small quantity of Milliput in the same aisle as the Excel hobby tools. They had three different kinds, but only one box of each: Standard yellow-grey, silver-grey, and superfine white. I bought the standard kind which was $7.99 (before coupon) and the cheapest of the three.

I haven't seen any epoxy putty at Hobby Lobby before, so it was a little surprising. Anyone else seen Milliput at Hobby Lobby recently?

I'm looking forward to trying it as a smoothing agent since this is the first water-soluble, sandable epoxy putty I've bought, or even seen locally. Now I just need to find a miniature that needs smoothing -- that shouldn't be very hard.

I don't anticipate using this stuff very fast. Is it safe to store it in the freezer like other putties?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Milliput at Hobby Lobby, too, just a month or so ago. And yes, greenstuff, brownstuff, ProCreate and Apoxie Sculpt all store better for longer periods of time if you keep them airtight in the freezer. All these are good-quality and freeze/thaw stable. I don't know for sure about Milliput, since I haven't used it. I had an unused block of fine white, but it dried up in a sealed zip-lock years ago.

If you want to use it as a smooting compound, why didn't you get superfine (the smoothest)?

At any rate, I store mine in a craft drawer and the putty I bought 4-5 years ago is still usable.

Tip: be sure to use water if you want to make this putty smooth. I generally don't use it as much as green stuff, but it's hard to beat for doing quick terrain on bases. Dip your fingers/tools in some water and you can get some very nice results!

If you want to use it as a smooting compound, why didn't you get superfine (the smoothest)?

I bought the standard Milliput for smoothing because that is what I thought was recommended by olliekickflip in his tutorial on how to blend. It's possible I got mixed up about what he was saying.

I just checked the tutorial again, and he said not to use the "fine" grade, which he said turns to mush rather than a paste. I must have interpreted that as the superfine being a problem, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately the link to the type he recommends is not working at the moment, so I'm not sure if he uses standard or something else.

Anyway, I haven't opened up the package yet, so I can take it back if it's the wrong one. Is superfine better in your opinion?

The standard grade is the one olliekickflip recommends, I know cause he tried to ste... er, borrow mine earlier this ReaperCon. And yes, he did mean the superfine doesn't work as well as a smoothing agent. Hope this helps! :)

I have to agree with Ollie, Superfine is a mushy mess.

I dunno, maybe Superfine works for some folks, but I hate it. SF was the first variety of Milliput I tried and it made me so frustrated I tossed it in the drawer and never looked at it again. Two years later Jeremie introduced me to the Standard variety and suddenly I understood what everyone was Oooing and Ahhhing over. Standard just seems to give the best of both worlds. Heck it's even replaced my greenstuff for almost everything.

Yeah. There ya go.

The standard grade is the one olliekickflip recommends, I know cause he tried to ste... er, borrow mine earlier this ReaperCon. And yes, he did mean the superfine doesn't work as well as a smoothing agent. Hope this helps! :)

If I remember right between Ollie and Jeremie, two full packages of Milliput were used up in about three days during last year's ReaperCon. There were some partial packages but again, they didn't last long. I've found that by the time I order it, get it in, and sit down to use it... I haven't got it in my cubby anymore and there's a couple happy miniaturist somewhere in the area who has it, no matter how many packs I get ::P:

I think I'd really enjoy having a Hobby Lobby up this way, if only for the primers and putty.

So i have to ask this wouldn't the more liquid it became be better as your not trying to use it as a putty but like a brush on filler? i am asking becasue i am going to have to order online X( nobody local carrys it well nobody thats less than 30 miles away