Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Going Post Apoc!!

After years of wanting to do this, our roleplaying gang is taking a break from a long running fantasy campaign to go for post apocalyptic goodness!! :upside:

We're using the Savage Worlds engine, as we've taken a shine to it, and eagerly look forward to creating our mutants/characters.

There's a great source online of the original Gamma World game all Savaged out, and with the sci-fi toolkit from Pinnacle, we're off to the races.

Got any movies/books/games/source suggestions for me? I'm looking for flavor.

Got any movies/books/games/source suggestions for me? I'm looking for flavor.

Mad Max series - gospel on post-apoc society (of which I am sure you are aware).

For that immediate feel, the CBS series Jericho was awesome. Very good on showing society breakdown.

There is a series of books called Deathlands that fits awesomely, also. Sci-Fi made a movie a few years ago that is also a must see for good post apoc, Homeward Bound - Amazon.com has it.

There are some real good 80s B grade movies - I have a few at home, and can look into names for you.

For that immediate feel, the CBS series Jericho was awesome. Very good on showing society breakdown.

Jericho was OK, but I don't think they really pushed it too hard. While the town had some hardship, it really didn't present the breakdown of society angle, nor the power struggle with the neighboring town. I would have liked to see a bit more ambition on the part of the scriptwriters, but if they did push it, it might have been off the air sooner.

Don't forget Jeremiah either...

Damon.

Haven't seen Jeremiah, but that's a good one to look out for. Thanks!!

I loved, loved, loved, Jericho. I thought they did a bang up job with that series, considering it was on CBS, and it wasn't on HBO. I couldn't believe how much I liked it; I bought all of it on DVD.

Oh, while we're on the topic of Post Apoc, what miniatures should I look out for?? I've got some painted Necromunda and Rackham Goblin Mutants coming back from the painters. I've got unpainted em4/Grenadier Scavengers, a bunch of Warzone (Brotherhood and Cybertronic) and some unpainted Mad Puppet models.

Modern I've got Spinespur.

Any other sources you recommend for cool models for this genre? Even fantasy ones that you think would be cool.

By the bye, I've got loads of Reaper models. :lol:

'Mad Max' is a must - I have all three and watch them lots. Escape from New York had it's moments and the original 70's series of The Survivors was okay. Don't forget the 'Mad Max' Films.

Everyone into nuclear post-apoc should read these books -

'Alas Babylon' by Pat franks.

'Brother in the Land' by Robert Swindalls.

I've read so much end of the world stuff it's hard to remember who wrote what. 'Ill wind' and 'New Madrid Run' where quite good, so was 'The Drought' and 'The Drowned World' both by J.G. Ballard. Both are more about character than event.

Did I mention 'Mad Max'?

Coppleston Castings do some good post apoc scavs - that's what I'm working on at the moment. They are in the 'future wars' range.

I'm sad that nobody's mentioned Six String Samurai yet. If you haven't, see it. Freakin' sweet movie.

As for reading, Walter M. Miller's A Canticle for Liebowitz is pretty awesome, though I found it a little slow at times. If you have any religiosity in your campaign/setting, this one could be useful.

I'm sad that nobody's mentioned Six String Samurai yet. If you haven't, see it. Freakin' sweet movie.

As for reading, Walter M. Miller's A Canticle for Liebowitz is pretty awesome, though I found it a little slow at times. If you have any religiosity in your campaign/setting, this one could be useful.

Yes and yes!

Sanael just moved up a few points in the Awesome Standings List.

Sanael just moved up a few points in the Awesome Standings List.

Sweet!

I knew my misspent, sci-fi ridden youth would serve me well one day!

I just saw those Pig Iron/Kolony Scavenger models. Right on time!! We created characters for the game, and in two weeks we run. Our party is three generations after the downfall of civilization. It was the muta-virus that did the most damage, some limited nuclear exchanges, and now we're in what was formerly Wyoming trying to save our village by finding tech to keep the water potable.

I like how our GM is going about this, and character creation is fun. So far we've one human, two mutants, and a synthetic.

I haven't really gone in and roleplayed in this genre, so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks all for the movies/fiction material, and the model sources.

P.S. I own all the Mad Max movies!!