Need help with dress-making

I'm trying to create kimono style outfits for a couple of GW outfits. Other than greenstuff and good reference pictures, any suggestions?

I'll probably keep some of the shoulder pads and fantasy look as I'll be using these for a ninja-themed Bloodbowl Dark Elf team.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimonos might be harder than some other dresses.. Fortunately they're usually made up of relatively straight pieces of fabric, other than the bottom. I'd suggest working slowly, piece by piece, though I'm not a very good sculptor. It's a cool idea, good luck! I'd love to see pics when you're done.

Well, I've filed down most of the weird costume those elves are wearing (or not wearing) and hopefully will get a chance late this week to start putting some greenstuff on them. I hope to put up pics before I prime them.

It may help to look up Japanese dolls. In Chinatown near me, several stores sell small dolls in various countries national dress (I'm sure some of them are more accurate than others, but they're pretty). Might help if you can find something similar to look at three dimensionally, and then diverge from there. Or if you are close to any art or anthropological museums that would have oriental collections you can see some and get a feel for them. Also good source material would be books on woodblock prints. I like Utamaro and Yoshi toshi (hm wierd that's one word but won't let me spell it that way) . Hope its helpful.

After having looked at just about every picture of geishas on CMON and a bunch of other sites, I sculpted the kimonos onto the witch elves in about 3 sittings. Not so much to let the greenstuff dry as that's the amount of time I had. Unfortunately, as I was sculpting in different places, I had to pack the minis up before the GS was completely dry and so there's a few extra wrinkles, divots, etc. in much of the material.

As this is my first major sculpting effort (gap-filling doesn't really count) I was reasonably pleased with how they turned out and hope that I can hide most of the inconsistencies with a decent paint job...

The first picture shows the bare metal Witch Elf figures with their weapons clipped and much of the armour filed down. The second picture shows them post sculpt (or in their house coats as my wife commented). I didn't give them full length kimono/dresses because I incorporated the tunic/cloths they already had.

post-4180-1245039636_thumb.jpg

post-4180-1245039651_thumb.jpg