Fallen

New Warlord Rules Book!

I spotted a Warlord: Second Edition Beta book running around at Reapercon, but I can't tell you anymore than that, as I just happen to spot the thing.

Love my beta copy. Finished it today at work. We will be tearing into it this weekend. The whole kicking the tires and breaking the system thing we Austenite do so well. :devil:

This is exciting news! Is 2nd Edition going to be a major revision the way 1.1 to RC '07 was, or is it basically RC '09 in an actual book format?

I got the advance/final beta copy at the con. Very well-written with lots of cool new stuff. I'm already working on new lists. Great stuff, guys. Thanks to Gus and Jason and all you BL guys. This is gonna be fun . . . ::D:

We'll be making an official announcement on the front page this week, but yes the rumors are true. This summer, you will be able to purchase an actual physical book at your FLGS. Warlord 2nd Edition is a streamlined upgrade to the game you've been playing for 5 years. We got rid of all the little rules that either didn't get used, or were unnecessarily complex. We completely re-invented the magic system, and we rebuilt every datacard from scratch with a brand new point cost system designed to help balance every model from the littlest goblin to the largest dragon. ::):

More details to follow...

Awesome news!

As Reapercon was my first experience with Warlord I do have a few questions regarding the new version that I hope someone can answer for me. (They aren't very specific)

I was told the original game "scaled" very well. From being able to play with a small amount of figures, to a massive army if you wanted. Is the new rules going to keep the "skirmish" style / version of the game available?

One thing that I heard in the past is that the Warlords are not really used in the games until the very large armies (again, I could have been hearing things wrong). If this is the case, is there something being done where each army / band actually has a warlord in it?

New rules still keeping square bases? Ya I know its a shot in the dark, but I had to ask, as it's one thing that's always bothered me ::P:

I was told the original game "scaled" very well. From being able to play with a small amount of figures, to a massive army if you wanted. Is the new rules going to keep the "skirmish" style / version of the game available?

Yes, still a skirmish style game.

One thing that I heard in the past is that the Warlords are not really used in the games until the very large armies (again, I could have been hearing things wrong). If this is the case, is there something being done where each army / band actually has a warlord in it?

Warlords will only be required in games above 1000 points. However, there are benefits to having a Warlord in the army even when not required.

New rules still keeping square bases? Ya I know its a shot in the dark, but I had to ask, as it's one thing that's always bothered me ::P:

Yes.

Ron

For new players, if they do not see something in the book, they wont know it is missing. But, experienced players will most assuredly have a ton of "is this or that still in the game?" type questions. So, I will be working on an FAQ type page to post up once the release hits. But, for now I can try to answer your questions.

1. Skirmish vs Epic - Warlord 2 under the core rules will continue to focus mainly on skirmish level games. But you have to define skirmish level. With the 2008 datacards and such, 1000 point skirmishes averaged 15 models per side. We have seen that number increase to about 25 in playtesting WL 2. Although it is possible to field a much smaller and much larger number of models depending on the strength and style of the models you fill your army with.. There are plans underway for a possible future game expansion rule set for large scale battles with many more models on the table. But, at this time it is still too far out to say any more.

2. One of the biggest complaints with the 2008 based ruleset that we repeatedly heard was that high pointed models and/or big solos were not really worth taking. They looked cool, and if everything went their way they could be significant, but overall they just didnt last long enough to make it worth it on a consistent basis. We made sure to put that near the top of the list of things to look at with the second edition. That being said, you are still not required to take a Warlord with small groups. But, hopefully we made them worth while enough that people will still consider it.

3. At this time, the bases are not changing. It has become one of the staples of Warlord.